Author Topic: Why does AH seem to work so much better with Nvidia?  (Read 4172 times)

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
Re: Why does AH seem to work so much better with Nvidia?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 05:18:12 PM »
I am playing using onboard quad core a6 3620 amd graphics. I run steady 60 fr, have most things enable including hi res.
To the OP, when you get the card, have you checked it's required power supply output for that card?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »
I am playing using onboard quad core a6 3620 amd graphics. I run steady 60 fr, have most things enable including hi res.
To the OP, when you get the card, have you checked it's required power supply output for that card?

somehow I doubt that you run that high with onboard graphics.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 07:49:26 PM »
I have run both ATI and Nvidia, both about the same to me. I run a 6950 now and no problems. I don't play much anymore , but when I do..no problems at all.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 01:40:41 AM »
Using driver sweeper is a must :old:

Why do driver updates not take off old drivers?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 01:58:34 AM »
It has the latest driver that supports XP (which isn't the very latest driver available).  Thanks for the idea though.

Might be the time to update.. XP is EOL.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline numb1

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 04:18:31 AM »
All those artifacts you guys are seeing is a known 78series issue with the drivers.The newest beta 13.5 should clear all that up..I have 2 7950 boost cards and i have zero issues.But i do notice there is no improvement over a single card in this game.Also when did they set a frame limit to 100 in AH?I go offline to test my frames and it stays at 100 all the time..
I5-3570k,Asus Sabertooth,Corsair H100i,Corsair AX850,Two His IceQX2 7950 boost cards in crossfire,Cooler master Storm Stryker case,Western Digital 1tb HD,Intel 180gb SSD,Qnix 27in 1440p PLS OCed to 120hz monitor

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 06:34:41 AM »
All those artifacts you guys are seeing is a known 78series issue with the drivers.The newest beta 13.5 should clear all that up..I have 2 7950 boost cards and i have zero issues.But i do notice there is no improvement over a single card in this game.Also when did they set a frame limit to 100 in AH?I go offline to test my frames and it stays at 100 all the time..

We do not cap the frame rate.  If you checked the "Disable VSync" option in the "Video Settings" we run as fast as the video card drivers/hardware will allow.

The attached image shows my system (ATI 7950), at home, running 1920x1080, full anti-aliasing, 2048 texture size, and all graphics options checked in the "Options->Graphic Details->Advanced" panel.

I checked the "Disable VSync" option for this test.

Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 09:48:10 AM »
I should note, the NVidia SLI and ATI Crossfire profiles suck for Aces High.  They are using generic profiles, which do not come close to any level approaching optimum for the game.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 02:20:53 PM »
Might be the time to update.. XP is EOL.

That is certainly true, but I'm an old man and my tolerance for problems of astronomical proportions, as would likely occur with an OS update, has fallen to very low levels.  Plus I'd probably lose a bunch of old software I depend on due to incompatibilities. 

:old:

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 02:50:22 PM »
I should note, the NVidia SLI and ATI Crossfire profiles suck for Aces High.  They are using generic profiles, which do not come close to any level approaching optimum for the game.

As I stated in another thread, nothing could be more true than this.  IMO it should be a sticky at the top of the tech support/hardware forum, haha.  After personal experience I always recommend other players to NOT go SLI if AH2 is their primary game or reason for upgrading.

Skuzzy, was your reflections setting cranked all the way to the left at 100% in that test?  Also, can you be more specific with your AA settings, I know most people consider 4x full AA, but with 8 and 16x available, as well as a bunch of other selectable things like FXAA and about a 1/2 dozen other XXAA or YYAA, I just want to be 100% correct on what I'm telling people when I use your 7950 results as an example.

Also, just as a supporting bit of info, if one is to use a  120hz or 144hz monitor, you'll see that AH2 is absolutely NOT locked at 100fps, as I have my Vsync "ON", and still see 143 or 144 FPS about 95% of the time I'm flying with my Asus 144hz monitors, with  either a single or SLI 680 gtx4gb card, and that's with every option checked, 2048 textures @1980 1080P res, shadows at 8092 (max) and the environmental/reflections tab at 80%, one click back from the full left.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 02:59:13 PM by Gman »

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 06:52:55 PM »
somehow I doubt that you run that high with onboard graphics.

semp
Not sure how to quantify it other than to say I have it at 1024 shadow, but I do not enable ground clutter. I do not bump map anything, not sure what it means. All sliders 1/4" from full, water on detailed terrain off. Not the "best" but certainly a far cry from anything my last one was capable of. For some reason I am thinking I have it at 2056 for texture as well. It really is very capable imo. Certainly more than it gets credit for.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 11:50:58 AM »
Not sure how to quantify it other than to say I have it at 1024 shadow, but I do not enable ground clutter. I do not bump map anything, not sure what it means. All sliders 1/4" from full, water on detailed terrain off. Not the "best" but certainly a far cry from anything my last one was capable of. For some reason I am thinking I have it at 2056 for texture as well. It really is very capable imo. Certainly more than it gets credit for.

you don't have most things on.  not sure if you are actually using hires either.   but if you are happy then that is all that matters.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 06:39:37 AM »
As I stated in another thread, nothing could be more true than this.  IMO it should be a sticky at the top of the tech support/hardware forum, haha.  After personal experience I always recommend other players to NOT go SLI if AH2 is their primary game or reason for upgrading.

Skuzzy, was your reflections setting cranked all the way to the left at 100% in that test?  Also, can you be more specific with your AA settings, I know most people consider 4x full AA, but with 8 and 16x available, as well as a bunch of other selectable things like FXAA and about a 1/2 dozen other XXAA or YYAA, I just want to be 100% correct on what I'm telling people when I use your 7950 results as an example.

Also, just as a supporting bit of info, if one is to use a  120hz or 144hz monitor, you'll see that AH2 is absolutely NOT locked at 100fps, as I have my Vsync "ON", and still see 143 or 144 FPS about 95% of the time I'm flying with my Asus 144hz monitors, with  either a single or SLI 680 gtx4gb card, and that's with every option checked, 2048 textures @1980 1080P res, shadows at 8092 (max) and the environmental/reflections tab at 80%, one click back from the full left.

Sorry for the delay.  I used the in-game anti-alias slider, set it to full.  All the video card (ATI/AMD 7950 w/3GB of video RAM) settings are at defaults for the driver.

I have attached screenshots of what each notch of the environment slider does to my frame rate, along with the in-game graphics details settings.  The "Video Settings" are:  1920x10800 resolution, 2048 texture size, and full anti-alias.  For the purposes of this test, I have checked the "Disable VSync" option.

I should mention all the images were taken from the cockpit of the B29 while on the NE runway on ndisles, offline.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:53:54 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 06:41:07 AM »
Here are the last two screenshots.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:43:41 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
ATI cards have always handled AA better than Nvidia cards while Nvidia cards to a better job with shadows.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song