Author Topic: A-20 characteristics  (Read 7364 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Re: A-20 characteristics
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2013, 04:26:47 AM »
F3 view makes sense in LEVEL bombers for two reasons:

1. They must spend a significant amount of time out of the cockpit - be that in F6 view calibrating and fine-adjusting the flight path, or in a gunner's seat tracking a fighter that is waiting for his chance to swoop in. F3 allows them to quickly track the aerial threats around them and get back to F6, pilot seat, or a particular gunner. F3 helps them to do the job done by at least 3 different people in a real bomber. Planes like A20, IL2, SBD etc. do not use a bomb sight and do not (really) rely on a gunner for defense - they rely on maneuverability which is done from the cockpit. Yes they had a second crew member but so did the 110 and the Mossie and I see no justification for F3 view in their case - nor there is one for A20 and IL2.

2. Level bomber tend to be heavy, slow and take a long time to climb and cruise to their targets. During 90% of this time there is nothing to do except talking smack on channel 200 and admiring the beauty of your plane from F3 view. A20 does not climb high is faster than a few fighters and its typical mission profile does not take it more than 1 sector away. I bet that in a significant % of its sorties it never loses sight of its takeoff base. There is less need of entertaining yourself in F3 view.

I am sure that HTC could master their great coding talent and allow an additional flag added to planes of the bomber category that enables/disables F3 view per plane. This way IL2, A20, SBD, Stuka et al. could roll out of the BH and still have F3 disabled.

The rule of thumb should be: no level bombsight = no F3 view.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #151 on: June 05, 2013, 07:03:36 PM »
F3 view makes sense in LEVEL bombers for two reasons:

1. They must spend a significant amount of time out of the cockpit - be that in F6 view calibrating and fine-adjusting the flight path, or in a gunner's seat tracking a fighter that is waiting for his chance to swoop in. F3 allows them to quickly track the aerial threats around them and get back to F6, pilot seat, or a particular gunner. F3 helps them to do the job done by at least 3 different people in a real bomber. Planes like A20, IL2, SBD etc. do not use a bomb sight and do not (really) rely on a gunner for defense - they rely on maneuverability which is done from the cockpit. Yes they had a second crew member but so did the 110 and the Mossie and I see no justification for F3 view in their case - nor there is one for A20 and IL2.

2. Level bomber tend to be heavy, slow and take a long time to climb and cruise to their targets. During 90% of this time there is nothing to do except talking smack on channel 200 and admiring the beauty of your plane from F3 view. A20 does not climb high is faster than a few fighters and its typical mission profile does not take it more than 1 sector away. I bet that in a significant % of its sorties it never loses sight of its takeoff base. There is less need of entertaining yourself in F3 view.

I am sure that HTC could master their great coding talent and allow an additional flag added to planes of the bomber category that enables/disables F3 view per plane. This way IL2, A20, SBD, Stuka et al. could roll out of the BH and still have F3 disabled.

The rule of thumb should be: no level bombsight = no F3 view.

I disagree with your rule of thumb... The A-20 is absolutely blind over 140° to its rear. I'd agree with a rear view defaulting to the gunner's view, but no rear vision would only cause many to abandon its use. Also, the B-25s can be configured without a bomb sight, should they be without F3 also?  Then again, the Boston carries four 500 lb bombs, has a bomb sight and is as effective in killing GVs as an A-20G. by your measure, it would retain F3. So, I'd say your rule of thumb needs a few more fingers.

If it were up to me, I'd restore F3 in the IL-2. A handful of incompetent whiners were generally responsible for that being porked. My opinion is that if one can't defeat an IL-2 air to air, than the level of suckage exceeds Dyson standards.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2013, 10:27:31 PM »
I disagree, and unfortunately for you, most players and HTC do as well. Learn to deal with it.

It's a discussion board. I'm discussing. Not having any trouble living with F3 mode.

Things change. 

Who is John Galt?