Author Topic: TrackIR and eyewear  (Read 3153 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
TrackIR and eyewear
« on: May 11, 2013, 10:44:09 AM »
OK so I've had the TrackIR for a couple of weeks now and while it hasn't become natural thing for me yet I think once I get the hang of it I'm gonna really like it a lot. Thanks to all that posted profiles. I've tried them all and tweaked one to my liking. I found one thing out tho, a little problem, and had to tweak a little more to get around it.

I wear contacts normally. When I was setting up TrackIR initially I was wearing them and things were working out fine. When I went to fly that night-- wearing my glasses-- occasionally the view would get all wonky, flipping almost straight down. This was annoying as hell! Especially since my down pitch curve only goes maybe 40 degrees! It seemed like it worked fine just looking around but whenever I'd get into a fight it'd screw up and I'd have to pause it to go back to my regular views--defeating the purpose of having it. The next day I went into troubleshooting mode. I tried changing the location of the camera up or down. My monitor sits in a hutch and is a bit far back so I thought it was losing the top of my head. Moved it to the face of the top of the hutch (which was closer vertically to the top of my head anyway) but that didn't help. Finally, I found the culprit. Using the software in camera mode in order to see what the camera was seeing I found in addition to the three dots that represented the reflectors on the ball cap clip, if I tilted my head a certain direction--slightly upwards and to either side--another dot would appear slightly below the three on the clip and the software would start tracking that other dot, effectively flipping my view upside down momentarily until I moved my head again and the dot disappeared. I thought there was something in the room behind my head at first but after waving my hand around I found the problem.

When using the ball cap clip the camera shines IR light at you and it looks for the reflection coming back from the reflectors on the cap. Well my glasses were acting as a reflector too but only when I'd pretty much face the camera dead on. Looking ahead or just about any other direction it'd be fine. So it looks like TrackIR and eyewear is a no go--at least with the ball cap clip. The remedy is to get the Pro Track Clip and change to that in the software. In that mode the camera turns off its IR lights and looks for the IR light shining directly from the clip instead.

As a stopgap measure I've increased the sensitivity of my pitch up axis so I don't have to move my head upwards so far but I don't like it. Too twitchy.But it works. Thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone else has run across the same problem.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 11:16:17 AM by Drano »
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: TrackIR and eyewear
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 12:24:08 PM »
Maybe there's some kind of anti-IR reflection film you could put on your glasses? Or maybe some special safety glasses/goggles that might do the trick? Can you adjust the sensitivity of the TIR camera to perhaps "dull" its senses?
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 12:38:54 PM »
The remedy is to get the Pro Track Clip and change to that in the software. In that mode the camera turns off its IR lights and looks for the IR light shining directly from the clip instead

Bingo.

I'm using a TrackIR but I still hate it and feel like it is a 'stop-gap' until VR headsets become mainstream. When they do, I'll be using a few illegal fireworks to destroy mine in jubilant glee.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 03:43:58 PM »
Bingo.

I'm using a TrackIR but I still hate it and feel like it is a 'stop-gap' until VR headsets become mainstream. When they do, I'll be using a few illegal fireworks to destroy mine in jubilant glee.

Have you tried it with the roll,x,y and z off?  have you tried using the speed slider, I have mine around .4 with very aggressive curves.  try lowering your FOV to around 90.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 10:55:52 PM »
Drano, sounds like your wearing the cap tilted. This makes the camera not able to see all 3 reflectors and it'll default to a limited range of movement - especially down. Found this out by doing the same thing with my headset and the trackclip. Try wearing your cap level - suggest getting one with a small brim. I wear glasses as well, and this seemed to be my problem if the clip was tilted up.

Wurz
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 11:36:20 PM »
Have you tried it with the roll,x,y and z off?  have you tried using the speed slider, I have mine around .4 with very aggressive curves.  try lowering your FOV to around 90.

It has nothing to do with the curves or the slider. Until the ratio is 1:1 for head turn versus head turn in the game, TrackIR will always be a stop gap.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »
Wurz, Randy: I tested it and it's definitely a reflection coming back from my glasses. If you wear glasses try it wearing the cap clip with the software in camera mode and you'll see what I mean. It sees another reflection (a fourth dot) when you look in a certain direction (generally right back at the camera--slightly up and slightly to either side) and voila--it messes up for a sec. I cover the offending lens on my glasses and the other dot goes away. Can't really fly like that LOL! With my contacts on it's fine, but I don't wear them 24/7. Especially this time of year. My allergies have been bad and by night I'm ready to ditch the contacts to get the crud out of my eyes. The Pro clip with the LEDs in it is the answer. In that mode TrackIR uses active tracking using the LEDs on the Pro clip and looking for them rather than passive tracking looking for a reflection back from the cap clip from the LEDs on the camera. So in that mode there's nothing shining at me to reflect back at the camera. The software has a button to use either mode so it knows what to look for. I totally get how it works. Just gotta get the clip with the IR LEDs on it, that's all. Problem solved.

Del: it's not that bad. I really think I'm gonna like this once I get used to it. I'm not having any of the motion sickness or vertigo or whatever others have complained about. Years of not moving other than my thumb to look around is a habit that's gonna die hard. I'm gettin there. Gotta break the other habit of leaning in closer to the monitor when in a fight too. Almost got that one ironed out. Also the leaning in slightly to turn to look back is something that hasn't become a natural thing for me yet. But if ya think about it, if you were actually in the plane you'd have to do that to look back--so it should be. Gettin there.

Ya just gotta tweak the software to suit you and dude, it's friggin omni-adjustable. You can do whatever you want with it pretty much. You CAN actually set it 1:1 in the software if you like, but sheesh! I hope you have a good chiropractor on speed dial if you do! I'd never want to move my head that far back and forth and up and down playing AH for hours at a time like I do when I do. I can't imagine the neck pain that'd cause. On one hand, as godawful expensive as they are, I like the idea of the VR headsets but I gotta wonder what it'd do to your eyesight focusing on something that is in reality less than 6 inches from your eyeballs for hours at a time. I know it's a bit of optical trickery to produce what you're brain thinks you're actually seeing, but it is actually that close. Hell my eyes are bad enough and as I rapidly approach the 50 year mark having to use cheaters now for everything within a couple of feet is annoying the hell out of me!
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 09:17:12 AM »
For me, the Track Clip Pro with the active infrared LEDs works much better than the simple clip with the passive reflectors. 

However, that puppy is pretty fragile, so become familiar with the use of quick-set epoxy.  Despite gentle handling, mine has broken twice: at the pivot where it joins the headset clip and at the pivot on the three-pronged piece holding the LEDs.  To their credit, NaturalPoint sent me a free replacement when I posted about it on their support forum.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 11:05:52 AM »
What Bino said.  I experienced some of the same problems when not wearing my glasses with trackir. 

The track clip pro pretty much eliminated them.  As Bino was saying, it is pretty fragile, so when I clipped it to my headset I also wrapped it with electricians tape in a few key spots in order to give it some structural support, and keep it from moving around as well.  I haven't had a problem with it yet since doing that.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 11:32:23 AM »
I had actually considered building my own a while back, pre-my current PC. An alternate IR proggie called FreeTrack here: http://www.free-track.net/english/ . It even has a setup wizard for constructing the LED headset:  http://www.free-track.net/english/hardware/calcled/ .My old PC wouldn't handle the load of the camera in addition to the game so I blew it off. Not a problem with my current box tho. I remember finding lots of instructions on the forums on building your own IR clip with stronger steel or aluminum wire as a frame and a basic electronic circuit for a power supply that plugged into a USB port made from off the shelf Radio Shack parts. Will maybe look into that too as I'd heard the LED clip was ultra fragile. Or could buy the TrackIR clip and beef it up with wire say from a coat hangar. They have 1001 uses yaknow. :D
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 11:40:10 AM »
Oh heck yeah. Build your own. Check these!

http://www.free-track.net/english/hardware/point_model_gallery.php

Got more ball caps than I know what to do with, prolly 10 Radio Shacks in a 10 mile radius, a soldering iron and heat shrink. I'm there.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 12:22:06 PM »
Would track IR work with this?:

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 12:25:13 AM »
I saw a bloke wearing something like that, but thats another story :old:

Those clips for caps are rubbish :old:

Trackclip Pro is the way to go, wearing a cap in the house is daft as welll :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 02:13:19 AM »
wearing a cap in the house is daft as welll :old:
[steal]I've read from a reliable source, that God created ball caps to tell idiots from up above in a glimpse. You know, he's got the all-seeing eye that can see through ceilings.  :old:[/steal]
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 10:15:53 AM »
Thanks for posting this Drano.  I'm in the same boat optically and will probably pull the trigger on TrackIR in the near future.  I figure it will at least allow me a better view of the missing pieces and pretty black and grey smoke coming from my ride.   :airplane:
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-