Author Topic: Was AH ever....  (Read 1688 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Was AH ever....
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2013, 10:07:43 PM »
the map drawn is just for visual..imagine the capture points spread at the same distance as a spawn to spawn in game as we have it.  The city would be sectors wide with capture points in between.  The strats would be just as big as the modeled ones now with multiple manable flak towers maybe more spread out or randomly placed on the map.  Yes train yards should be there as well. 

Then next map is a midway inspired map that is only cv based.  This would be fun to isolate and mix up the games assets. 

All of this is in the game, the problem is people don't want to play that way. You said you don't care about a star next to your name, neither do I and frankly I don't care if we win a war either. All I want is a fight, defend or attack doesn't matter.

You can bomb strats and make it hurt, but most people don't want to do that. (takes too much time)

You can run GV groups to attack bases, but most people don't want to do that (rather spawn camp)

You can use both GV and Air to attack a base but most people don't want to do that, (they are too busy spawn camping)

The problem isn't the game, it's the players.  You said you want battles that mean something. Most players don't, they just want to roll the bases as fast as they can so they can win the map.  Your a "simmer", they are "gamers". Totally different worlds.

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2013, 01:08:21 PM »
Well I don't know enough about simmer and gamer to agree or dis agree.

To your points that people don't want to do the things you listed...we totally agree.

What I'm suggesting is putting the fights at the strats so they are important. 

They are fighting for and trying to capture potions within the strats.

They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2013, 05:13:06 PM »
How do you propose flogging 100 cats in each country into doing what you want in the MA to achieve your dream outcome every night of the week?

Game play in the MA is like a room full of cats with toys strewn all over the place for the personal enjoyment of each individual cat. How do you propose to force them into your ideal vision of how the MA play should be structured? Incentives like your map or even perk bribes will be ignored within one tour and the cats will wander off to find their personal fun. So how do you propose to "Force" them if you could convince Hitech to be your enforcer? Personal fun is the common coin of the realm. How it's spent is an ocean of personal choices as different as snowflakes.

Right now the game has shifted into a steady state. Either Hitech will throw a wrench into it to shake it up. Or a new vTard entity will emerge or a new game play fad will emerge. Steady boring states loose customers to other games like overall badly designed game play. Aces High is fortunately a well designed game play product.

And I find it entertaining that gyrene thinks I spent very long knocking out my last response. When you produce online opinion articles you better be able to grind out something that short by the dozens in a day before you finish your first cup of coffee. I've seen better insults gyrene. You need more practice. Maybe one of those mental stimulation games being advertised on the cable channels for 50-70 somethings to juice up their mental processes.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2013, 05:39:29 PM »
And I find it entertaining that gyrene thinks I spent very long knocking out my last response. When you produce online opinion articles you better be able to grind out something that short by the dozens in a day before you finish your first cup of coffee. I've seen better insults gyrene. You need more practice. Maybe one of those mental stimulation games being advertised on the cable channels for 50-70 somethings to juice up their mental processes.
:old:  hey now old man, it wasn't my intent to insult you. i was simply suggesting that your rhetoric appeared to be that of someone whose rose colored glasses got fogged over and scratched. if that's not the case then please accept my apology...and a new package of twinkies (to go with your coffee). honestly if you have a viable idea of how to "shake things up" to bring back some shine in the toonwarz, i'm all ear lobes and belly buttons.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2013, 05:56:48 PM »
How do you propose flogging 100 cats in each country into doing what you want in the MA to achieve your dream outcome every night of the week?

Game play in the MA is like a room full of cats with toys strewn all over the place for the personal enjoyment of each individual cat. How do you propose to force them into your ideal vision of how the MA play should be structured? Incentives like your map or even perk bribes will be ignored within one tour and the cats will wander off to find their personal fun. So how do you propose to "Force" them if you could convince Hitech to be your enforcer? Personal fun is the common coin of the realm. How it's spent is an ocean of personal choices as different as snowflakes.

Right now the game has shifted into a steady state. Either Hitech will throw a wrench into it to shake it up. Or a new vTard entity will emerge or a new game play fad will emerge. Steady boring states loose customers to other games like overall badly designed game play. Aces High is fortunately a well designed game play product.

Bustr we are saying the same thing.  Imagine all the cats with toys strewn about.  Now put all the toys in one area. The cats are goung from toys to prey.

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2013, 05:59:23 PM »
I don't remember two countries,other than in the AvA, but I've only been here since 2001.

same here...never 2 sides
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2013, 12:44:07 AM »
Are you talking about  a 2 sided scenario with Main arena style, any plane from any country at any time, or historical opponents?

This sort of scenario could be done if we had the tools to change the criteria for a game win, had a way to automate it so a win the war would rotate to the next scenario in the timeline etc.

We have tried similar things in AvA, but it requires an extreme amount of manpower to tabulate objectives and to accomplish the changeovers manually, basically staffers present 24/7.

Of course then you also have the problem of people not wanting to fly a limited plane set.

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2013, 10:20:59 AM »
It would have the full plane set.

Mid and Early war would be the same

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2013, 12:23:44 PM »
I think gameplay was better overall when we had a zone based system.

You had certain bases that were more important then others and thus more of a reason to either attack or defend them.

These big cities are nice. But I think would be better use would be made of them if attached somehow to HQ or rear areas of the country such as HQ is. Perhaps surrounding HQ might be an idea.

From a strat standpoint HQ has always been the ultimate prize to attack. If you loosely surrounded HQ with the big cities and strat targets missions to HQ would run a gauntlet of ack to get there and out again. Course you could always bomb the strats on the perimeter. Anyway. It would give a lot of reason to do those big missions deep into enemy territory
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty