Author Topic: Latest star trek?  (Read 1390 times)

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
Latest star trek?
« on: May 20, 2013, 06:29:53 PM »
So is it any good?

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: Latest star trek?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 06:36:37 PM »
Just saw it yesterday.  Was a little better than the last one.  Good stuff. :aok
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 06:38:06 PM »
Very good. Saw it twice last weekend.  :aok
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 06:54:03 PM »
The first movie ever I literally fell asleep while watching it in the cinema. Boring. Wife (which is more of a trek 'fan' than me) was quite disappointed too.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 06:55:26 PM »
Germans......  ;)
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 06:56:51 PM »
Germans......  ;)

No, as far as I know there were no Germans in it  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 06:57:54 PM »
I bet they were speaking German though, while their lips moved in funny ways.  :old:

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 07:17:29 PM »
The first movie ever I literally fell asleep while watching it in the cinema. Boring. Wife (which is more of a trek 'fan' than me) was quite disappointed too.

This is what I heard about it too.

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 07:22:31 PM »

I came pretty close to falling asleep too which is rare for me.

And I wasn't even particularly tired. Although it was quite warm in the cinema ;x

I found the movie incredibly generic and average. I think I must just be getting old and grumpy...it looked amazing, brilliant CGI etc...but it was so predictable and non-engrossing.

Typical JJ Abrams really
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 08:56:40 PM »
Did you just say predictable? Every single star trek movie and episode has been this and nothing more.

Some red shirts die, a invisible healer thingy saves someones life, buncha people get teliported here and there for so and so reason, and they win. But not before the enterprise is ripped to shreds....again. Enterprise always get's destroyed, time for a new ship design ffs!

Change this station!!
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 09:24:02 PM »
Did you just say predictable? Every single star trek movie and episode has been this and nothing more.

Some red shirts die, a invisible healer thingy saves someones life, buncha people get teliported here and there for so and so reason, and they win. But not before the enterprise is ripped to shreds....again. Enterprise always get's destroyed, time for a new ship design ffs!

Change this station!!

:headscratch: I must be watching a different show. I watch older episodes from time to time, and find the plots to vary enough. The jack the ripper one I seen a few years ago comes to mind.

The breakdown you did could be done for a lot of different shows with minor tweaks.

I.E any crime drama.

Opening - See crime committed, or its aftermath. Find a clue and gain a suspect. Suspect is A. the wrong guy or B.the right one. They travel around in a car a few times, find out a few more things. One cop still strongly suspects the first suspect, others think its a new guy. Some vital clue pops up and/or Cop makes the connections between old clues. They confront suspect, arrest him. Case solved.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 09:31:30 PM »
lol, ya you would think they had a better design for an interstellar space ship...seriously what's the deal with the tripod design?

why does anyone expect more than the typical good guys vs bad guys massive death and destruction with a lot of flare that makes up all action/adventure movies since...sound was added to movies. if you can fly around in a toon plane for hours doing the same thing every time you're online, enjoy the movie for what it is, a plotless story with flare. i'll wait for the dvd, should be near xmas time...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 10:21:51 PM »
Did you snore loudly and embarrass her?
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 10:26:44 PM »
The original series always had a good message built in.  :old:

That's one reason it was so awesome. :banana:

I don't care about graphics as much as the story, characters, and deeper meaning of the message. :aok

:salute Gene Roddenberry :rock
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:51:16 PM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 10:42:56 PM »
Gyrene

You're wrong about Enterprise. There's nothing wrong with the configuration, but the variations. This...

...is simply one of the best ship designs EVER. Everything about it just looks RIGHT. The "new" Enterprise from the remake just looks awkward in its lines and proportions. They should have either kept the classic design and just updated the effects model for more detail, or used something closer to the refit style.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.