Author Topic: Anyone quit smoking?  (Read 628 times)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
Re: Anyone quit smoking?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 12:26:05 AM »
taste seems the same so far, I just can't get hungry and when I do eat I don't like it for some reason, things taste the same but something is  subconsciously telling me to spit it back out instead of chew and swallow.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 12:47:41 AM »
taste seems the same so far, I just can't get hungry and when I do eat I don't like it for some reason, things taste the same but something is  subconsciously telling me to spit it back out instead of chew and swallow.

I wish I could give you half of my appetite  :D
If I don't smoke I eat to compinsate :furious
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 01:22:43 AM »
your appetite will come back Rob, give yourself a week or two more before you start to really worry about it. The only way for me to quit was to instantly say 'I am a non-smoker'. Not 'I am cutting down' or 'I'll quit after this pack' or any other half arsed ambition. 'I am a non-smoker'.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 02:24:11 AM »
Thanks, the only thing that really worried me about not eating is the way I run out of energy quickly at work when I have to climb and find myself not even close to 100% mentally when I gas out.  I keep thinking I might do something stupid like fall and/or get shocked or mouth off to the wrong person.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 04:51:35 AM »
I quit 3yrs ago this month.. Smoked for 30yrs.. I used the patch, it works..
But even after 3 yrs, I still cough out a bit of black crap now and then...
Probably will, until I die..

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 05:20:56 AM »
25 years here clean for me.  Thank goodness I had the gonads to quit.

You know you have won when you notice how other people that smoke houses, clothes and bodies smell bad.

I promise anybody, once you quit, you will feel sorry for those still addicted to nicotine and thank your lucky stars you have won.

I gained 30 pounds too but have lost it and a bit more.  Eat less; do more.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 05:25:48 AM »
I broke my addiction to nicotine about 2.5 years ago after smoking up to two packs a day for about a decade.

Just remember that "quitting smoking" and "ending your addiction to nicotine" are two completely different things. While quitting smoking is certainly good for you (and congrats to anyone who has) I'd go for the latter - why continue to be enslaved by some drug and keep wasting your money?  If you do go for the latter, do it right...  Cold turkey.  Any thought of "weaning" just makes the process last longer and you're not really starting "day one" until there's no nicotine "support".  Jump in head first, set your mind to it, be a man and just do it!

Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 07:23:04 AM »
Finally quit 8 months ago after almost 30 years smoking.  Used the pill to enjoy the hallucinogenic dreams.  :rolleyes:
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 06:27:40 PM »
Another vaper here, 3 months and not a cig in sight!
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »
 :bhead

I wanna quit

but I like smoking.....

but I hate it with a passion.....

we humans are a messed up lot....at least I know I am...... :rofl

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 07:39:29 PM »
:bhead

I wanna quit

but I like smoking.....

but I hate it with a passion.....

we humans are a messed up lot....at least I know I am...... :rofl
Same here. And alot of my friends smoke so that doesn't help :mad:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 08:31:33 PM »
E-smokes are not for everyone however, I'm giving it thought.  I know folks who smoked 2-3 packs a day that swear by them.  I also know some folks who just don't like them.  I started smoking Djarum's and was doing 2 packs a day.  Then, 2.75 a pack.  This was round 13 years ago.  Did that for 3-4 years but I eventually quit for about a year, before starting up again.  Before my current job, I was easily doing 2 packs a day, if not 3.  I would constantly lose track, only that I would run out a carton within 3-5 days, depending.  Now, I sit around 1/2 to 2/3's a pack a day.  After surgery in Dec of 2011, the nurse told me that when they took the tube out, was dark brown.  "You should seriously consider quitting..", is what she also told me.  Just this last week, my doctor also told me that I better quit.  Feh  Me thinks it's getting to point where E-cigs should be looked into with more seriousness however. :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 10:02:09 PM »
One of the biggest issues with people when it comes to liking / not liking E-cigs...is how they do it

You can't just go from analogue to E-cig... it is a transition....I always send out a small note about this for first time e-cig purchasers.

Don't stop smoking...have those ones that are important...hahaha..you know..after eating etc ... but use the e-cig for those in between ones...the ones you don't really want to have, but do.. and just start cutting out another each day till one day, you realise you don't need the carcinogenic suckers any more. 

take your time with it...It took me 2.3 weeks and 2 packs of tailors to get off analogue and full time vape. (obviously different for everyone) first pack went in 3 days ...and the second took the rest of the time.

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 08:58:18 AM »
Yeah, I'm with ink on this one.  I am a smoker, I like smoking.  But,  I know it is horrible for my health.  Quitting and the weight gain scare me.  As a former carpenter now driving a big rig, the belly I am currently building upsets me.  Quit smoking and put on 50 pounds?  I don't want that weight.

Picking up cigarettes was the biggest mistake I've ever made.
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 09:16:50 AM »
I decided to last weekend and I think I'm past the withdraw but I still find myself with zero appetite and frequently swearing at customers and the general public while I'm driving or working.

I'm a bit wierded out by the fact that I do not like eating anything now though and have a strange desire to spit out all food rather than chew and swallow it.  I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds but I definitely need to eat more than 500 calories in a day.

Fifteen years ago for me, cold turkey.  I even kept an open pack of Lucky Strike non-filters around as a deliberate temptation.  Every time I found myself considering the pack, I'd hurl it across the apartment in a rage.  No verdammt vegetable was going to have me in thrall!

After a few weeks of letting your system adjust, you might well find - as I have - that everything tastes more nuanced, and more intense.  Your bathroom scale will tell you the rest.   ;)

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs