Author Topic: Anyone quit smoking?  (Read 629 times)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
Anyone quit smoking?
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:59:14 PM »
I decided to last weekend and I think I'm past the withdraw but I still find myself with zero appetite and frequently swearing at customers and the general public while I'm driving or working.

I'm a bit wierded out by the fact that I do not like eating anything now though and have a strange desire to spit out all food rather than chew and swallow it.  I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds but I definitely need to eat more than 500 calories in a day.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: Anyone quit smoking?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:10:07 PM »
I gave up smoking after doing it pretty heavy for 15 years. I instantly put on 30lbs almost in a week. I had no trouble eating, my appetite increased by double. Nearly 3 years on and I can't believe I ever smoked.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 08:48:59 PM »
I quit two weeks ago tomorrow. I've used electornic cigarettes to help. As each day passes I depend on them less. The only problem I'm having is waking up about three hours too early every morning and not being able to go back to sleep. I've noticed my sense of smell is coming back as well as taste. I'm not seasoning my food near as much. I'm not eating any more.. Yet. I've still got a long way to go though, I'll still think I'm supposed to have a cigarette when doing something I normally smoked while doing. Hang in there Rob, I keep telling my self I've come this far I can keep going. Good luck to you.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 08:59:35 PM »
Quit a few years ago, it actually improved my appetite as opposed to what you are experiencing

Stick with it man, it's not easy...but nothing in life that's worth doing is
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:08:29 PM »
I quit somewhere around 10 years ago, at that time I was on almost three packs a day. Like others have said you slowly get your
sense of taste and smell back and start to enjoy food again, sometimes too much, after I quit within two months I had put on
50lbs and being an old fart never took it back off again.
Stay with it, it's definitely worth it.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
I am 6 years in. Cold Turkey with patches. Chewed on plastic straws. I'm at the point now where surrounded by 2nd hand smoke is disgusting, but cigarettes, usually the lighting of one still smells good.

Good luck.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 09:15:49 PM »
I'm using the liquid E-Cig the shop mixes the flavor you want and you choose the nicotine amount you want used to smoke a pack a day but now I'm down to like 3 or 4 cigs and i use the E-Cig some.. The flavor I'm using is applewood smells good and not a bad taste.  He's now working on a new flavor i asked him to see if he could make it..... Wait.....Wait  Bacon!!!!!!!!!!   Rob just stick to it you ll conquer it just stay strong.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 09:17:48 PM »
Dad's been smoking since he was 16 years old, on the Fourth of July last year, early in the morning.. he had a heart attack at 50...that morning was the last time he's smoked since.

After 34 years+ of smoking a pack a day+ he quit cold turkey the day of his heart attack :cheers:
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 09:26:37 PM »
I've quit thoasands of times :aok
been smoking for about 5 years. Go through a pack a day, cut back and now it's 5-6 cigarettes a day. (unless I drink then I have to buy 2 packs)

I can't seem to quit either. Bootcamp will surely help with that.
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 09:32:05 PM »
I quit six years ago after smoking steadily for twenty-nine years. I used the lozenge after trying just about everything else besides Chantix. I started when I was thirteen.
I wish I lost my appetite. I ate just about everything in sight especially if it was fattening. I'm still trying to lose the weight I gained. It's funny really the whole time I smoked I maintained a steady weight, the minute I quit, I started packing on the pounds. I've finally started to lose the weight but damn what a fight it's been.
Another strange side effect was after about a year my sense of smell went into overdrive and I could smell stuff that I was better off not being able to smell. Fortunately that diminished after a couple of months.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 09:32:27 PM »
Yes, I don't smoke anymore, I vape. Switched to e cigs, cut way down on cost and literally about 1000 fewer carcinogens. IMO don't bother with Blu e-cigs they work but they suck. I switched to Johnson Creek's e-cig, I like it.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 09:32:37 PM »
I've quit thoasands of times :aok
been smoking for about 5 years. Go through a pack a day, cut back and now it's 5-6 cigarettes a day. (unless I drink then I have to buy 2 packs)

I can't seem to quit either. Bootcamp will surely help with that.
You REALLY may want to consider forcing yourself to quit before bootcamp....If you have to quit smoking WHILE going through boot camp...you're gonna have a bad time  :uhoh
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 09:46:12 PM »
You REALLY may want to consider forcing yourself to quit before bootcamp....If you have to quit smoking WHILE going through boot camp...you're gonna have a bad time  :uhoh
my friend smokes just as much as I do and said he was fine. They were so busy smoking wasn't even on his mind.

But we'll see. I won't smoke an e-grit cause i just smoke it all day :bhead
not to mention 80% of they people I know in the navy smoke
what a world :rolleyes:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 11:30:11 PM »
Thanks guys, a lot of people have been suggesting the E cigs but I've tried one and didn't really like it.  20 years of the real thing must be making me biased.

If I bought another I'd probably just use it to try the popular research chemicals that are sold here 24/7.  A few of the shops sell their own brands of recreational chemicals.... I mean scents.

I am a bit worred about the eating thing though, I've averaged less than 200 calories per day since saturday but I've tried compensating by drinking a bit of milk with full fat cream added.  I'm definitely losing weight because I'm getting red lines on my abdomen just like when I was a kid during wrestling and football seasons.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:24:35 AM by Rob52240 »
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 12:05:30 AM »
I wish I had that issue. Btw you can't tasty thing?
I haven't noticed any side affects regarding thy sense.
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle