Author Topic: My little delay problem  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: My little delay problem
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 07:30:43 AM »
Way back when we still had the H2H arenas, my normal ping for MA would be slightly over 200. Due to an oncoming scenario we did some H2H practicing with a private server in our country, only 300 miles away. The ping for me dropped to about 30 and to my surprise I could outperform co-players whom I considered superior to me. I still suck in combining lead and net delay in MA.

:O That would imply the only triple TOC winner in Aces High history...
...is fighting at a constant disadvantage? :O

I'm already but a cheap toy to this awesome pilot at his current ping.  Hard to comprehend how anyone can be that skilled. Wow. :bhead

:headscratch:

At least there is some hope for the rest of us:

http://www.pimsleurapproach.com/resources/language-research/cognition/spatial-reasoning/

"Although some people are just inherently better at spatial reasoning than others, there are things you can do to further develop this skill." ... "There's also nothing better than computer games if you're looking for a spatial development tool." :aok

:old: :airplane: :joystick:

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 08:53:30 AM »
Since we're all bragging about the size of our pings....mine is 10.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 08:53:36 AM »
Midway must you adulterdate every other thread on this forum with your psychotic obession with Bruv? We all FRIGGEN GET IT.

Less is more. Now go be quiet.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 09:28:28 AM »
I rested the pipper on the top of his engine cowl.... the .303 should have went into the canopee whereas the 20mm should have been in the engine....
This also depends on you convergence settings. There is no horizontal convergence issues in the mossie, but convergence also affect where the bullets and your aiming line meet in the vertical.

I fire only the cannons in the mossie. The 303 are for chute shooting, scaring people away from a HO or make them panic, and for playing with your food.

70 ping is excellent. Mine is around 200. A low pings makes movement smoother especially against jinking and fast rolling planes line the 190s, thus it helps a little with the gunnery - but it is not a huge effect. The other thing where it is noticeable is when a plane is pulling hard for a shot - in a high ping, it will look like he is pointing at, or behind you and does not have a gun solution, while on his FE is is leading you and can hit.
It does affects rams - collision is detected on your FE, while hits are sent over the network and you get a damage indication (or enemy goes boom) after net packets return. This means that you can collide with a plane that already broke in half and falling out of the way somewhere else in cyberspace. In a big plane like a mossie this is a problem. I occasionally collide with the wreck of the plane I just shot down as I lazily fly past it to watch my handywork and clip my wing on the wreck. Or in scissors I see him falling under my wing, but due to underestimation of the wingspan he clips it.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 10:33:42 AM »
... I still suck in combining lead and net delay in MA.

Do you mean that you are adding more lead to account for lag? Lag does not affect your shooting, lag only affects your perception of the bandit's ability to shoot you from his current angle. If you are allowing for lag when you shoot it's likely making you miss.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 10:39:50 AM »
Midway must you adulterdate every other thread on this forum with your psychotic obession with Bruv? We all FRIGGEN GET IT.

Less is more. Now go be quiet.

It's not about Bruv, MaX.  Don't you see?  It's about skills and how to get there.  Spatial reasoning skills are the keys to the kingdom and the path to fighter pilot awesomeness.  Spatial reasoning, at the highest level, would allow the pwnage of Bruv, Grizz, Pervert, Kappa, BatfinkV, Leviathn, Krupnski, and even Bruv's FPH (by his own admission), the lengendary Kazaa, at will. :aok

It's already taken me to a much higher level of fighting skills than where I was two years ago. :joystick:

And if the best pilots suffer from a lengthy ping, that should make it even easier... not that I want or need the advantage.   :angel:

Further development of spatial reasoning skills would allow anyone to be awesome good, no matter if they have a lengthy ping or not. :)

Our only triple TOC winner, and Kazaa, I believe a double TOC winner, and both located thousands of miles from the server being undeniable proof.   :rock

It's not the ping length that decides or even appears to influence skills.  :old:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 10:53:25 AM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 12:06:13 PM »
It's not about Bruv, MaX.  Don't you see?  It's about skills and how to get there.  Spatial reasoning skills are the keys to the kingdom and the path to fighter pilot awesomeness.  Spatial reasoning, at the highest level, would allow the pwnage of Bruv, Grizz, Pervert, Kappa, BatfinkV, Leviathn, Krupnski, and even Bruv's FPH (by his own admission), the lengendary Kazaa, at will. :aok

It's already taken me to a much higher level of fighting skills than where I was two years ago. :joystick:

And if the best pilots suffer from a lengthy ping, that should make it even easier... not that I want or need the advantage.   :angel:

Further development of spatial reasoning skills would allow anyone to be awesome good, no matter if they have a lengthy ping or not. :)

Our only triple TOC winner, and Kazaa, I believe a double TOC winner, and both located thousands of miles from the server being undeniable proof.   :rock

It's not the ping length that decides or even appears to influence skills.  :old:

Midway,

Did you even read the post by FLS?  Lag doesn't make it harder to shoot and kill,it only makes it harder for "you" to see if the other guy has a gun solution. I've been shot down many times by players who I thought didn't have the shot on me but on their end they not only had the shot but they were successful with it.

It works the same way for everyone,regardless of ping.   Like it says on the sideview mirror,things maybe be closer than they appear!

:salute

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 12:11:08 PM »
Do you mean that you are adding more lead to account for lag? Lag does not affect your shooting, lag only affects your perception of the bandit's ability to shoot you from his current angle. If you are allowing for lag when you shoot it's likely making you miss.
I can't tell for sure. My experience of two digit ping times date back to a decade ago and there may have been many other variables affecting my success that night. Anyway, during those evenings I somehow felt like I could read the trajectories of both my and my opponent's cartoon planes more accurately than on the Main Arena.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline tuton25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »
This also depends on you convergence settings. There is no horizontal convergence issues in the mossie, but convergence also affect where the bullets and your aiming line meet in the vertical.

I fire only the cannons in the mossie. The 303 are for chute shooting, scaring people away from a HO or make them panic, and for playing with your food.

70 ping is excellent. Mine is around 200. A low pings makes movement smoother especially against jinking and fast rolling planes line the 190s, thus it helps a little with the gunnery - but it is not a huge effect. The other thing where it is noticeable is when a plane is pulling hard for a shot - in a high ping, it will look like he is pointing at, or behind you and does not have a gun solution, while on his FE is is leading you and can hit.
It does affects rams - collision is detected on your FE, while hits are sent over the network and you get a damage indication (or enemy goes boom) after net packets return. This means that you can collide with a plane that already broke in half and falling out of the way somewhere else in cyberspace. In a big plane like a mossie this is a problem. I occasionally collide with the wreck of the plane I just shot down as I lazily fly past it to watch my handywork and clip my wing on the wreck. Or in scissors I see him falling under my wing, but due to underestimation of the wingspan he clips it.

This is what I was afraid of....any way of countering this delay???
><))))*> Da Fish is in Da Fight

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 02:07:58 PM »

Midway,

Did you even read the post by FLS?  Lag doesn't make it harder to shoot and kill,it only makes it harder for "you" to see if the other guy has a gun solution. I've been shot down many times by players who I thought didn't have the shot on me but on their end they not only had the shot but they were successful with it.

It works the same way for everyone,regardless of ping.   Like it says on the sideview mirror,things maybe be closer than they appear!

:salute

I did read it.  Guess I'm just confused then. :headscratch:

Does one having a longer ping than others help or hurt with fighting skills?  :confused:

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 02:39:52 PM »
It helps a person with the longer ping it takes their information longer to get into the game... Example if   he gets behind you and starts shooting it could take milliseconds or seconds before you see him behind you thus giving him the advantage.   ever try to saddle up on joeblack when hes all over the place you think you're behind him and all the sudden he's behind you.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:42:02 PM by 68ZooM »
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 02:56:40 PM »
It helps a person with the longer ping it takes their information longer to get into the game... Example if   he gets behind you and starts shooting it could take milliseconds or seconds before you see him behind you thus giving him the advantage.   ever try to saddle up on joeblack when hes all over the place you think you're behind him and all the sudden he's behind you.

I didn't think this was ping length, but instead was some odd freezing / temporary disco which he and one or two others, GT101, for example, are afflicted by.  I have never seen this jumping effect with pilots of Bruv's, batfinkV's, or pervert's level of skill. :airplane:.....                 :uhoh    . . .  :airplane:

So i'm still confused.  Does a longer ping help or hurt the above named best pilot's ability to win? :confused:

I thought a longer ping would hurt since I would be on them, with my shorter ping / less delay, before the information can travel to them.  In other words, I would see them first, shoot first, and they should be down before they realize what happened. :joystick:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 03:23:53 PM by Midway »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 03:31:34 PM »
I did read it.  Guess I'm just confused then. :headscratch:

Does one having a longer ping than others help or hurt with fighting skills?  :confused:

You and your opponent both have to deal with both your ping times. Whoever is offensive has the advantage regardless of who has the slower ping.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 03:40:15 PM »
This is what I was afraid of....any way of countering this delay???

You don't HAVE a delay worth worrying about. Your problem is going for the HO. Learn to attack a plane from an angle where they have a hard time getting guns on you and you will find that it is much easier to get kills WITHOUT dieing at the same time.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 03:51:05 PM »
You and your opponent both have to deal with both your ping times. Whoever is offensive has the advantage regardless of who has the slower ping.

Ok, let me ask this way then...

Two exactly the same skilled pilots 4k apart heading for each other, one has ping length 900, the other has ping length 20.  No warping or variation in their individual ping lengths.  Does one have any kind of ping length related advantage in the upcoming fight?

If not, why not?