Author Topic: My little delay problem  (Read 1755 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: My little delay problem
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2013, 04:00:58 PM »
Ok, let me ask this way then...

Two exactly the same skilled pilots 4k apart heading for each other, one has ping length 900, the other has ping length 20.  No warping or variation in their individual ping lengths.  Does one have any kind of ping length related advantage in the upcoming fight?

If not, why not?
depends...there are other factors that can affect the outcome as well. the guy with the lowest ping rate is probably going to end up registering hits sooner, assuming he doesn't have any packet loss going on or input lag issues.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
 Midway,

Whoever preforms the best merge will have the advantage.....  NOTHING ELSE.

It's the combined ping time so in your example player A has to deal with a total lag of 920ms and player B will have to deal with 920ms of lag.

If you really want to see the difference,have a buddy fly formation with you just slightly behind. report the distance you see him at and have him tell you the distance he sees you at.

It's been my experience the plane in the lead will see the trailing plane abit further back than the trailing plane sees the lead.

Now swap positions and note the difference,it will be roughly the same for both players in either position.

YMMV.

:salute

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 04:32:17 PM »
So gyrene81 says lower ping will probably register hits first and morfiend implies no ping length advantage exists.  Am confused.  Dolby also tells me shorter ping length has the avantage.  :confused:

Does anyone know with absolute certainty what the answer is? :headscratch:

Again, I'm saying no other differences such as packet loss or bad merge, etc..  Just the ping length variable is materially different... 900 vs 20, for example.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 04:33:58 PM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2013, 04:38:44 PM »
Again, I'm saying no other differences such as packet loss or bad merge, etc..  Just the ping length variable is materially different... 900 vs 20, for example.
you're trying to ignore other factors, which you shouldn't. in very very simplistic terms, again, that is very very simplistic terms, the lowest ping rate (shortest round trip client to server and back time) will register hits with the server first. that also assumes they both fire at the same exact moment without a nanosecond of deviation.
jarhed  

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2013, 04:43:02 PM »
you're trying to ignore other factors, which you shouldn't. in very very simplistic terms, again, that is very very simplistic terms, the lowest ping rate (shortest round trip client to server and back time) will register hits with the server first. that also assumes they both fire at the same exact moment without a nanosecond of deviation.

Does registerring hits with the server matter or registerring hits on the other guy's PC though?  Sounds like morfiend is saying it's based on the ther guy's PC seeing the hits.

I remember fighting Redbull while his family is watching netflix and he seemed to have a huge advantage because he would hit me in positions that are impossible.  I even posted screenshots of it.  So maybe the longer ping creates an advantage.  I really do not understand the answer.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 04:52:18 PM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2013, 04:54:33 PM »
Does reisterring hits with the server matter or registerring hits on the other guy's PC though?  Sounds like morfiend is saying it's based on the ther guy's PC seeing the hits.
ah, ya that's right, i got collision detection mixed up with hit detection. lol, the guy with the lower ping is usually the loser in those collisions...not always though.

I remember fighting Redbull while his family is watching netflix and he seemed to have a huge advantage because he would hit me in positions that are impossible.  I even posted screenshots of it.  So maybe the longer ping creates an advantage.  I really do not understand the answer.
now you're talking about perspective, i.e. what you see versus what he sees. different story...
jarhed  

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
ah, ya that's right, i got collision detection mixed up with hit detection. lol, the guy with the lower ping is usually the loser in those collisions...not always though.

now you're talking about perspective, i.e. what you see versus what he sees. different story...

But how can I fight a guy that kills me from impossible to shoot from positions?  Sounds like longer ping is now an advantage? :confused:

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »
 Midway,

Don't put words in my mouth,I didn't say it depends on the other guys PC at all.

For shooting it's WYSIWYG  or what you see is what you get!

I also said the trailing plane usually sees the lead plane closer for what that's worth.

You can test it yourself very easy.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2013, 05:11:42 PM »
Midway,

Don't put words in my mouth,I didn't say it depends on the other guys PC at all.

For shooting it's WYSIWYG  or what you see is what you get!

I also said the trailing plane usually sees the lead plane closer for what that's worth.

He would need a friend.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2013, 05:16:52 PM »
But how can I fight a guy that kills me from impossible to shoot from positions?  Sounds like longer ping is now an advantage? :confused:
if you're worried about all the little inner workings of multiplayer, you're going to go stupid(er). if you get shot down, just take off in a fresh new plane and try again.
jarhed  

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »
Midway,

For shooting it's WYSIWYG  or what you see is what you get!

Sorry, i meant to say on the other guy's ping length as well... Thought you said both my ping length and the other guy's ping length have to be added together and that both pilots then see the same ping length...  920 as you described.  It sounded like the server had nothing to do with it and it's a function of what the two PCs see.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you said. I do very vividly recall RedBull seeming to have a huge advantage in fights and he said his long lag was due to his family watching Netflix over the same connection.  He would shoot me when he was off to the side of me and the rounds would hit.... yet in reviewing the films he never had a shot on me from my point of view, at any time.

So I am more and more thinking now that someone with a long ping has an advantage over the shorter ping length pilot. Am I wrong?  Because my films and experience with Redbull, among others, certainly convinced me at the time.  Again, he would shoot me down, but never had guns on me as I saw it and I proved it in the film.

Yet others say the long ping guy is at a disadvantage... but that's not what I saw and had on film.

Maybe this whole topic is beyond my ability to comprehend, and there also seems to be no easy to understand consistent answer yet.  

Back to fighting. :old:  :airplane: :joystick:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 05:52:25 PM by Midway »

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2013, 05:55:27 PM »
 Mid,

I suggest you post your question in tech support forum.

I have tried to address it for you but unfortunately it's beyond me to explain any further.

Or in other words I give up!

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2013, 06:04:57 PM »
Mid,

I suggest you post your question in tech support forum.

I have tried to address it for you but unfortunately it's beyond me to explain any further.

Or in other words I give up!

cc, I'll just let it go... nothing I can do about it anyways.  I checked and my ping length is 67... So it's very good.  If pilots with longer pings have an advantage, as Redbull appeared to have while watching Netflix,. so be it.  And if it turns out that ping length doesn't matter, then all the better.  Thank you for trying though. :salute

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2013, 08:51:02 PM »

Maybe this whole topic is beyond my ability to comprehend, and there also seems to be no easy to understand consistent answer yet.

What part of my answer are you having trouble with?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:00:54 PM by FLS »

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2013, 09:18:05 PM »

What part of my answer are you having trouble with?

If neither have an avantage to begin with... before the fight begins, and the fight is mostly a draw until the third merge or so... does the guy with the substantially longer ping have an advantage, a disadvantage, or neither one... and why?

My experience with pilots, like Redbull for example, is the longer ping gives a material advantage and allows seemingly impossible shots and on film is obvious.  Others say a shorter ping length helps.

I don't know if it's worth rehashing again, but since you asked, your answer isn't clear to me. :confused:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:25:35 PM by Midway »