Author Topic: Classic Rickles  (Read 419 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Classic Rickles
« on: June 01, 2013, 07:18:00 AM »
Depressed? Mundane? Low self esteem? Don't let Mr. Warmth get a whiff... :devil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6I0ESuXa6g
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
Re: Classic Rickles
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 11:04:45 AM »
Haha. This is great. I feel young (finally!) watching this. I was 1 when this aired.

I've been feeling old (23 this past month :P) as of late. Nice to be reminded I'm not. :D
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »
You was one, I was in the Army, and you feel old?  :huh  :mad:
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 06:16:28 PM »
Sat and watched this with my 12 yr old boy today. Don't know what was better, watching it or explaining to him who Don Rickles is  :aok.
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:10:34 PM »
Don Rickles plus Foster Brooks on the same dais = laughing so hard you had tears in your eyes.

Nothing comparable today.....sad,
- The Flying Circus -

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 12:24:32 AM »
 The guy never really did it for me. Always seemed so forced. I liked him in a few movies, but thats about it.

~AoM~

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 07:56:53 AM »
Don Rickles plus Foster Brooks on the same dais = laughing so hard you had tears in your eyes.

Nothing comparable today.....sad,

Foster Brooks :D The best sober "Drunk" there ever was :aok

In 91, I was at Ft. Dix, NJ - Army Sgt and Instructor. 2 tours (6 years) in Germany completed.
31 years young, Married with 3 kids :aok

Here's an even older Carson/Rickles from 73, with Burt Reynolds and Buddy Hackett  :rofl

http://youtu.be/qxLwjENvDbQ

A clip from a Dean Martin "Roast" :rofl :rofl

http://youtu.be/OpOT_w8muiE

:cheers: Oz

:cheers: Oz
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 08:39:17 AM by ozrocker »
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 09:19:16 AM »
Good stuff!  :D
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 11:11:30 AM »
The outtakes from his last TV show were priceless as is his participation in the "roasts" of the 60s and 70s.

He also had one of the higher body counts of all the stars in "Kelly's Heroes".

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 05:35:11 PM »
Thanks for the laugh. Goose stepping in Munich and Newhart saying "don't do that"  :rofl

Johnny was the best, what we have today fares worse than paling in comparison. Leno/Letterman ~trash...not to even mention the other hacks.

Comments following are interesting, "so eerie commercial about space shuttle colombia...," I'm not sure why it's eerie, because Challenger was 5 years before, or because it would disintegrate 12 years later.

Cellular commercial is funny.

I wonder what will say is funny 20 yrs from now...maybe nothing?
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 06:25:11 PM »
I wonder what will say is funny 20 yrs from now...maybe nothing?

It will be the same as it always has been. They will mention the names popular now in 2013 and then add "now THAT were funny guys... we have nothing like that today"  :old:

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:27:09 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 02:09:48 AM »
It will be the same as it always has been. They will mention the names popular now in 2013 and then add "now THAT were funny guys... we have nothing like that today"  :old:

What I meant was, maybe 20yrs from now we won't look back at a lot of stuff and say that's funny in the way we do now, like laughing at a cell phone the size of a briefcase. Or maybe we will?

That may be that generations always go through this cycle of looking back and thinking that was so funny or influential, ergo we don't have anybody like that today (or at least in their prime.)

But :old::
I'll give a list, mostly American and terribly culturally imperialistic of me I know, sorry, just some names off the top of my head:
Johnny Carson: legend... I sincerely do not think anyone comes close, do you?
Johnny Cash: enough said
Steve McQueen: at one point was anybody cooler?
John Wayne: enough said
James Dean
Jim Morrison
Roger Moore
Robert Duvall
~Sean Connery (early, maybe some later stuff)
Eva Gardner
Audrey Hepburn
Katherine Hepburn
Elizabeth Taylor
Lucille Ball
Harrison Ford (could be one the most mentionable (imo) from my generation)
~DeNiro deserves to be mentioned, but has become rather sweethearty.

Also I'm a child of the late 80's, graduated high school in '94 and this list has a lot that passed before I was even born, yet they are what comes to mind. To me that makes them truly iconic, rather than what I see from my generation as a lot of psuedo-icons. I'm sure everybody has a different list and a lot of those outside the US will have some that were as influential where you grew up, but can you argue any on my list don't deserve to be noted as great?

Oh well sorry got off on this huge tangent, Rickles is great!
They're casting their bait over there, see?