Author Topic: Proxies vs. WWII?  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
Proxies vs. WWII?
« on: June 08, 2013, 11:52:20 AM »
Hello all,

Did pilots in WWII get credit for kills via a proxy as we do in the game?

That is, a pilot getting credit for a kill even when they did nothing to contribute to its demise.  They were just close to it when it went down etc.

I honestly don't know.

Thanks,

Slade  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Proxies vs. WWII?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »
Not the same, no, but for causing an enemy to crash, yes.  Well, at least some air forces did.  Just for being in the area is how the computer has to handle it as it has no way of calculating if it was just a crash or if it was a forced error.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 01:04:51 PM »
Do proxies and assists serve to help new players feel like they have a chance to become proficient? Kill strings in the text buffer are satisfying to us all. Proxies, well, I suspect everyone has had that one or two that made the string look even better. Still, why worry about it? Kills, assists and proxies are about validation. Early on some players need more than others to keep them paying that subscription. Later on, it may be the only thing going right in their lives from time to time.

You going to announce on 200 that your just landed 10 kills, 8 of them were because you happened to be diving on a mission of B29 that didn't clear a hill on take off? I once watched a past well known 262 vet from the tower rearming. It answered for me how he always landed so many kills and increased my respect for his 262 skill. 15 minutes later he landed 20 kills in his 262. On 200 I asked him how many rearms did it take. He lied and said "none"...........He also spent a lot of time in this forum shaming players for worrying about score and kill strings.

What is it you want from asking this?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 01:21:08 PM »
Hello all,

Did pilots in WWII get credit for kills via a proxy as we do in the game?

That is, a pilot getting credit for a kill even when they did nothing to contribute to its demise.  They were just close to it when it went down etc.

I honestly don't know.

Thanks,

Slade  :salute

About the closest I can think of:

Chuck Yeager demonstrated outstanding flying skills and combat leadership. He became the first pilot in his group to make "ace in a day," shooting down five enemy aircraft in a single mission. Two of his "ace in a day" kills were scored without firing a single shot: when he flew into firing position against a Messerschmitt Bf 109, the pilot of the aircraft panicked, breaking to starboard and colliding with his wingman. Yeager later reported both pilots bailed out. He finished the war with 11.5 official victories, including one of the first air-to-air victories over a jet fighter (a German Messerschmitt Me 262).

It wasn't like he did "nothing" but he didn't actually shoot these two either.

Best

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 01:39:35 PM »
By no means would I suggest getting rid of proxies.  One of my most memorable moments in AH was getting a kill I earn in the C-47A and without the proxy system it would not have been recorded.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »
My ratio of proxy kills to real kills is probably at least 29 to 1.   :lol
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 06:34:21 PM »
On the other hand, in wwII if they shot a plane up and it crash landed at sea or broke into pieces on the ground they got credit for a kill. Not necessarily so in AH.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 06:36:23 PM »
On the other hand, in wwII if they shot a plane up and it crash landed at sea or broke into pieces on the ground they got credit for a kill. Not necessarily so in AH.

On the other hand, in AH you don't need a witness and you don't need to go through the red tape to get credit for the kill ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ten60

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 06:37:02 PM »
My ratio of proxy kills to real kills is probably at least 29 to 1.   :lol
Noob, I'm 32:1
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %&# through a goose"

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 08:17:12 AM »
On the other hand, in AH you don't need a witness and you don't need to go through the red tape to get credit for the kill ;)
Unless you consider sending films to HTC to get credited with a kill as going through red tape.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 06:32:08 PM »
What is it you want from asking this?

To gain a broader understanding of the pros and cons of this topic.  Gather more data points to see it more objectively rather than a rigid and linear fixed point of view.

Thanks.  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline HB555

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 07:43:30 PM »
Unless you consider sending films to HTC to get credited with a kill as going through red tape.

You really think they would review every film sent in?  :rofl
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 08:38:13 PM »
Of course I don't send in every film. Duh. Not all my kills are contested.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 10:31:52 PM »
Of course I don't send in every film. Duh. Not all my kills are contested.
why on earth would you contest any kill to begin with? sounds like someone has some seriously misdirected priorities...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 11:17:52 PM »
I get just as much of a kick outflying my opponent, causing him to crash as I do actually shooting him down. It's a good system.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"