Author Topic: Its been terrible lately  (Read 2152 times)

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
Re: Its been terrible lately
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 05:38:53 PM »
 :pray well wishes
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 05:59:13 PM »
stay strong butcher.  :salute

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »
All here, self, family and friends, have you and yours in our prayers, thoughts and wishes.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 06:36:37 PM »
Like I said in the text to you Butcher, anyone in this community will be there if you ask them.  :salute
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 06:40:50 PM »
Stay strong Butcher! She's defiantly in my thoughts and prayers!  :pray
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Acidrain

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 06:56:27 PM »
Truly sorry to hear this Butcher , I wish your wife well and hope better days lie ahead.  :salute

Offline DH367th

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 07:12:51 PM »
Anything I can do bud call me  :salute
You don't have to be crazy but it helps

Offline LCAMerciful

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »
Butcher you have nothing but my deepest sympathies.  I lost my father almost a year ago to Stage 4 Colon cancer.  It was found very late and despite him having almost a foot of his colon removed and many rounds of Chemo the Cancer ended up getting the best of him.  He was 63.

Last spring I had a Colonoscopy done.  After seeing what my dad went through I wasn't about to wait until I was 50.  At 36 years old they found nine polyps in me, most of which tested "pre-cancerous" - meaning that if I had waited until I was 50 it would have likely been too late.  Right near the end when my Dad couldn't handle the chemo anymore and agreed to hospice care he told me that it was all worth it to him knowing that he probably saved my life.  My Dad was by far the most selfless man I've ever known.

Listen.  Please understand that the last thing I want to do is hurt you and like I said I have nothing but the deepest sympathies for you but you have to look at this realistically.  You and your wife have a very long and hard road ahead of you and at Stage 4 the long term prognosis of this isn't good.  Cherish every moment you have with her and make life as good as possible for her as you can.  Apply for disability benefits NOW if she qualifies (my dad did and they didn't even fight his claim) as you'll need every penny you can get.

She's going to be facing depression and anxiety and there are days she's not going to want to fight.  You have to keep her motivated and as happy as possible.  You have no idea how important mental health is during all of this.  The good news is that she's still young and strong and don't let her give in.  No matter how hard it gets and how much it pains you, you have to be strong around her and maintain a positive attitude.  But no matter what you can not forget to TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.  You're not going to be of much help to her if you're having trouble managing your own depression and lack of motivation.  Go out with friends when you can.  See a counselor.  Find support groups.  I can not stress enough how important this is.

This is something you don't want to hear but I have to tell you.  Eventually down the road you two will end up having to make her health care decisions based on quality of life more so than quantity.  Hopefully this will be years away but Cancer treatments can be extremely unpredictable and you have to be prepared.  Take care of the Legal issues NOW.  Get power of attorney and get a living will taken care of ASAP.  Hopefully she will fight her way out of this but as hard as it is you have to be prepared.  The last thing you want is to face major legal issues when things are at their worst.  You don't necessarily have to hire a lawyer - there should be counselors where she's being treated that can help you two with all this.

I really do wish you the best of luck.  I know, it's not fair.  Not fair at all.  Take it day by day and help her enjoy every day as much as humanly possible.

Do NOT be afraid to ask for help.  There are plenty of free resources out there to help you through this but no one can read your mind.  Trust me they've seen it all.  Don't be afraid to ask.

Also don't hesitate to PM me.  If nothing else you can vent your frustrations to me.   :salute

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 07:38:04 PM »
Butcher, you and your wife are in my thoughts & prayers  :salute

LtngRydr
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 07:57:48 PM »
My family's prayers will be with you.

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 09:29:57 PM »
Prayers and positive thoughts to you and family. I've been through hell and back this past year myself. PM me if you'd like and I'd be happy to chat with you by phone.

:salute

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 09:30:25 PM »
All the best to you and the family Butcher.  I wish I had a magic answer.  Do your best to stay strong for your wife.  She's going to need it.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline The Jekyll

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 09:38:27 PM »
Mere words mean so little in the pain you must be feeling. Our entire family will keep you in our hearts and wish for nothing but the best results possible for you and your new bride. It means so little but bud if ever you need something, please ask; don't go through this alone. Salute
Yea, simply because I can

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 09:42:28 PM »
Prayers for you and wife :pray

Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 09:48:38 PM »
Prayers from our family to yours Butcher.    :pray