Author Topic: The Decline of the Forums  (Read 5619 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
The Decline of the Forums
« on: June 14, 2013, 09:25:06 AM »
This thread makes me wonder:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,349796.390.html

3992 views and 397 replies so far.

I post the original pilot's notes of the Westland Whirlwind (it's just an example (oh yeah, and a plug)):

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,313538.msg4621051.html#msg4621051

...and not one reply.

Is this forum now simply a soap opera for grown men, flaming, griefing, mocking and judging others? More smack talk than 1,000 Muhammad Alis locked in a cupboard! Is no one interested in aircraft or ACM anymore?

:frown:

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: The Decline of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 09:29:28 AM »
The forum is being much less used now in general (See forum stats). Maybe a 'generation' issue. In the age of FB, Twitter, and others, forums as a way of communication are perhaps going the way of Usenet, IRC, ...

Is no one interested in aircraft or ACM anymore?

That may be a player 'generation' issue as well.  And I don't mean that in any degrading or inflammatory way.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:29:47 AM »
I downloaded the pilots handbook, when you posted it... A few more trips to the loo, and I'll post my thoughts  :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

HOST: HiTech Shot Down Skyyr Kill#1

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 09:30:43 AM »
Is this forum now simply a soap opera for grown men, flaming, griefing, mocking and judging others? More smack talk than 1,000 Muhammad Alis locked in a cupboard! Is no one interested in aircraft or ACM anymore?

:frown:
where have you been, it's been this way since before i started here...i've seen the same crap in many other forums over the years, it's nothing new.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 09:40:23 AM »
Not sure what you expect. You posted the pilot notes for a plane we do not have in AH and few people know about, in a thread in the wishlist forum that even fewer read. Then you compare the responses to those from a thread in the main general forum that people not only Whirlwind fans read and anyone without any knowledge of aviation or history can respond to.

I now noticed the pilot notes and downloaded them. Thank you for posting, in case that is what you wanted to hear.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 09:50:56 AM »
Not sure what you expect. You posted the pilot notes for a plane we do not have in AH and few people know about, in a thread in the wishlist forum that even fewer read. Then you compare the responses to those from a thread in the main general forum that people not only Whirlwind fans read and anyone without any knowledge of aviation or history can respond to.

I now noticed the pilot notes and downloaded them. Thank you for posting, in case that is what you wanted to hear.

Thank you but it wasn't really the purpose, just trying to get players interested and sharing information.

You're saying the 'other' thread hold more accessible interest, even though it reads like two gangs of grandmas standing on opposite sides of the street waving their handbags at each other?  :eek:

where have you been, it's been this way since before i started here...i've seen the same crap in many other forums over the years, it's nothing new.

For some reason when I search I mostly get threads from ten years ago. They seem different to me. More aircraft discussion and ACM. A bit of smack talk for sure, but nowadays this seems to be everywhere

Maybe my tolerance has run out  :old:

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 10:00:21 AM »
I'm just guessing here, but I think keyboard commandoitis has been around since Gore invented the internet.  All it took was for one guy to realize, "Hey, they can't see me behind this keyboard, and the chance of actual repercussions from what I'm about to say are almost zero... lolz watch this loosers!!!11!".

I've never been a member of any internet community where tardish toughguywannabe's didn't distort the signal to noise ratio.  On the plus side, it's fun to read sometimes.  When it's not, I don't.   :)
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 10:01:50 AM »
it's the nature of the retardnet bud...anonymity removes the filters controlled by real world constraints.

might be a good time for htc to consider, no active subscription = no forum posting.
jarhed  

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 10:08:10 AM »
This used to be a good place to improve your knowledge of the game. I recall recently a new guy posting about an accomplishment, now in a self aggrandizing manner, merely as a comment on progression of skill and gameplay. The flaming began almost instantly. I have learned so much from the forums. I hardly now post in them anymore given the sad nature of some folks to just continue to be negative.

Maybe there should be two member levels... how many posts and love muffin level.

Dirtdart
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Online zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 12:17:26 PM »
 :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 12:25:30 PM »
The forums are declining since 2008.

Now look at Zack's registration date.

Coincidence?

I think not....    :noid
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 12:35:16 PM »

Coincidence?

:rofl :rofl

So Lusche in a way the Petri dish will eventually go, taking the bacteria which grew there with it?  :old:

I just wanted to clarify that I have met some fantastic people on the forums, intelligent, articulate and interesting, it's just for every one of those there seems to be about three arsemonkeys  :old:

I downloaded the pilots handbook, when you posted it... A few more trips to the loo, and I'll post my thoughts  :old:

What news from the Throne of Knowledge Dolby? Somewhat like the illegitimate lovechild of a back-alley affair betwixt Mosquito and Emil perhaps? Could this be the one British aircraft that Dr. Dolby might fly from time to time?  :rock

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 12:35:30 PM »
it's the nature of the retardnet bud...anonymity removes the filters controlled by real world constraints.

might be a good time for htc to consider, no active subscription = no forum posting.
why?
When I'm in the navy I'm not going to be able to play for some time so my account payer might cancel my sub.  But I'll for sure be able to access the Board. Should I be penalized?(someone for sure is going to say something :rofl)

I understand where your coming from. Maybe tweak it to allow post only by peoe you were active for atleast a year?
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 12:51:51 PM »
no Zacherof, that would not accomplish anything. some of the worst dipsticks are former players who are just circling the gut wagons. that's not to say that there aren't some former players who don't contribute a great deal of knowledge and insight, because there are, and without them some discussions would just fail.

when you go into the navy, you should have plenty of more interesting things to do other than buzz around these forums posting silliness...
jarhed  

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 12:52:55 PM »

Coincidence?

Yeah, all Zacks fault.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors