Author Topic: F6F Wheel Brakes Failed  (Read 769 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: F6F Wheel Brakes Failed
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 09:57:08 PM »
If your engine has died deadstick it take's a lot more time to slow down, not sure why. Seems to have more of an effect than just turning the engine off. I've had it before where I have gone deadstick at a few thousand feet and then managed to glide much further than expected. I understand that with less drag from the prop this is sometimes intentional, however, other times I have found it seems to retain speed far more than feels realistic. That's just hearsay though, I have no evidence.

I've experienced the same thing in the P-38 if I've had an engine damaged and stopped working.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 10:53:06 PM »
If your engine has died deadstick it take's a lot more time to slow down, not sure why. Seems to have more of an effect than just turning the engine off. I've had it before where I have gone deadstick at a few thousand feet and then managed to glide much further than expected. I understand that with less drag from the prop this is sometimes intentional, however, other times I have found it seems to retain speed far more than feels realistic. That's just hearsay though, I have no evidence.

I've had similar experiences and always attributed it to the prop being auto feathered when the engine quits. 
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 10:34:17 AM »
Feathering does help and I often minus sign the prop all the way in when I am performing a shallow dive at super high speeds.

If you can get the prop stopped, there is substantially less drag.

Try it out in a typhoon..........they drop like a stone if you're trying to glide with the prop spinning but will glide forever with it stopped.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 08:09:29 PM »
well with the prop spinning at a high RPM there is more drag...
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 10:22:30 PM »
I understand that aspect but I just feel like occasionaly my plane will glide further than it should even with a stopped prop. Then I'll land and it will roll withut losing hardly any speed and brakes seem less effective. I have had deadstick situatins where this does not happen and the plane retains E in a more familiar manner.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.