Author Topic: Experiance of a lifeime; SNJ-5 @ Aurora, IL!  (Read 264 times)

Offline TomD

• Zinc Member
Experiance of a lifeime; SNJ-5 @ Aurora, IL!
« on: June 16, 2013, 02:16:21 PM »
A good friend of mine that I have known for the past 30 years and go flying with, and obviously knows I'm a warbird nut, bought me this flight
for my birthday on an snj-5 at Gauntlet Warbirds in Aurora Illinois. Now my birthday is actually in September, but maintenance delays, weather,
and my friends schedule didn't make this possible until this past May the 19th. He kept it under his hat all that time!

What was it like? Well my flying experience is very limited, having up to that point only flown Cessna's and my friends Grumman Tiger and the like..
The SNJ, or AT6 as some of you know it is much heftier and you feel it. On our flight to Aurora which is right in the Chicago area was somewhat gusty
and we got shoved around a bit, but flying in those same conditions in the snj you really didn't notice it at all. The stick pressure was heavier than I
expected. It was a lot like flying a farm tractor. A rather agile and athletic one, but a big fat happy farm tractor none the less. And, this was my first
time doing aerobatics.. Whoa!

That's me. Don't let the swank fly boy expression fool you. I had just got the briefing on how to use the parachute, and we are going to now put
I don't know.. 3 or 4 g's on a 70 year old airplane. What could possibly go wrong? Despite being very excited, my knees were knocking!

No going back now. It's fly or die time!

The resultant grin from having done my first loop. This grin I'm afraid is permanently tattooed on my face.

That's me on the left, and my pilot/instructor Vess Velikov on the right. Vess is a great guy and great pilot!

Screaming Eagles
SEdodger

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Experiance of a lifeime; SNJ-5 @ Aurora, IL!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 02:22:57 PM »
 :aok
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 03:39:33 PM »
 :aok

:furious I hate you!
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline TomD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 08:32:54 PM »
^^^^
Yeah I figured I would hear that at least once. :lol

But on a bright note, this is open to the public anyone can do it. And if the Chicago land area is too far off the beaten path for you
it can be done at at least two other locations in the US.
And while it's a bit on the expensive side it's not so much so as to be cost prohibitive I should think.

http://www.gauntletwarbirds.com/
I did it here.

http://www.warbirdadventures.com/
Or in Kissimmee FL

http://planesoffame.org/index.php?page=member-flights
Or Chino CA, which btw has many more

There are likely others, probably some on the other side of the pond too. :cheers:

Screaming Eagles
SEdodger

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:56:54 PM »
Nice!   :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV