Author Topic: Why USAF, USN, USMC and others want this F-35?  (Read 3179 times)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Re: Why USAF, USN, USMC and others want this F-35?
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2013, 09:55:23 AM »
Nieuport - 1 engine
Spad - 1 engine
Mustang - 1 engine
Jug - 1 engine
Saber - 1 engine
Crusader -1 engine
Super Saber - 1 engine
MiG-21 - 1 engine
Starfighter - 1 engine
Thud - 1 engine
Dart - 1 engine
Viper -1 engine (but two OEMs?)
Mirage - 1 engine
Gripen - 1 engine
Jianji-10 - 1 engine

First of any single engine aircraft in generally cheaper, that is one of the reasons of success of the F-16. As it is small, affordable but yet very capable aircraft.

However, F-35's price is several times higher than one of the most capable 4++ generation aircrafts  F-15E. Have you ever seen such costly fighters with one engine, I don't know?

There were issues with the original PW-100 engine on both the F16 and F15 fighters but the contract for new engine was then split between GE and PW resulting in the GE-F110, and then later, PW-F100-229. The reliability of the F16s single engine was improved dramatically resulting in a manufacturing/export bonanza for the most popular fighter now flying.

Recently crashed IAF F-16I had F110 Engine...

In fact "reliability" of the F135 is going to be one of the strongest points FOR the aircraft as it will be for the F35 system in general

How can you know about the reliability of F135 when it wasn't yet proven over the time? There is no other way to prove engine reliability than to show it over the time.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2013, 10:50:27 AM »
The F35 can accomplish it's mission without being seen.

The others can't do that.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2013, 11:37:58 AM »
Really good discussion.

My knowledge of this is well above the average person; well below the experts.

My knowledge of politics and the appropriation, lobbying process is on level with the experts, having done it for 20 years.

The F-35 and F-22 are text book lobbying monsters. With enough lobbyists you could appropriate the money to put a gold coffee pot in each bird, with the PR and marketing to turn those coffee pots into 22nd Century technology booms and a matter of national security; and, anyone who disagreed with the gold coffee pots are either communist agents or charter members of 'we hate America' club.

I am very skeptical of both planes and to my DNA see them as bad decisions. Maybe there is some military merit though the politics make it much closer to white elephant.

Interesting technical discussion that does absolutely nothing to change my political opinion.

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2013, 01:13:02 PM »
one of the articles I read today..... a congressman said the F35 could replace both the F16 AND the A10... :O
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2013, 01:42:04 PM »
One engine.....two engines, five engines....really wasn't the point I am obviously failing to make. This gets into it a bit  http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-22/flawed-f-35-fighter-too-big-to-kill-as-lockheed-hooks-45-states.html

It would probably cost less to push it through, than it would to start from scratch, and deal with 'most'  of the same issues with a new airframe.

Once you go half way, it's dumber to quit than to keep going.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2013, 02:18:44 PM »
Locked for multiple rule $14 violations.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com