Author Topic: ahfilm.exe has stopped working  (Read 368 times)

Offline Wizzy

• Zinc Member
ahfilm.exe has stopped working
« on: July 01, 2013, 06:07:31 PM »
I can't get any of my films to work, as far as I know all my d/l's are up to date from AH, has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to correct it, all it says is...

ahfilm.exe has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Wizzy
Wizzy
When all else fails, ask someone who knows!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: ahfilm.exe has stopped working
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 06:15:58 AM »
Are you certain you are using the correct version of the film viewer?  If you are running the film viewer from a desktop shortcut, try running it from the Windows "Start" menu instead.

Also note, make sure you are not running any anti-virus software when you do.  If you are running Norton, you cannot disable it, and Norton has been known to cause a multitude of problems.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Wizzy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 04:40:05 PM »
Skuzzy, I try and run it from my Aces High folder direct, I haven't updated anything unless its required when I go to log on so I don't know if I'm using a new version or not, if their is another version, let me know where to find it so I can d/l it, I did a search and came up empty.

I have a film I'd like to submit where I was parked "under" a bridge and  the supply convoy drags me from under the bridge all the way out into the dang ocean. This is not the only time a convoy had drug me when I was parked under a bridge but it is the only film I saved of it happening... this is a bug that needs looking into.

Thanks

Wizzy
Wizzy

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 04:48:09 PM »
The film viewer ships with the game.  It has never been available separately.

If you have too many films in the "films" folder, that can cause problems.

If that is not the case then try the following:

1)  Rename the Aces High folder to another name.  Do not remove the game!!!
2)  Install a fresh copy of the game.
3)  Try the fresh install of the film viewer.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 04:03:41 AM »
I've also got a strange bug with the viewing position being stuck 400 yards to the left of the person who filmed the sortie. Came on suddenly after watching a film with head position weirdness.  :bhead

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Wizzy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 07:13:57 AM »
OK... I re-downloaded the game and the film viewer still want work for me... I give up! :bhead

Wizzy
Wizzy

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 08:21:42 AM »
The film viewer has never worked for me since I installed AH a couple if months ago.  I will try a fresh install to see if that works.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 05:07:28 PM »
Very frustrating. I have re-installed the film viewer as you suggested above Skuzzy, but I'm still having the same problem. When I play a film back, apparently some view selections (zoom I think) are part of the recorded view, the viewpoint leaps 330 yards to the left of the aircraft. I can't do anything to get it back, internal, external whatever and it just stays there. Only selecting 'fixed' view gets rid of it, but it also gets rid of being able to see from the cockpit so not very useful.

I'm at a loss now how to fix it without completely deleting the game and making a fresh install. Is there perhaps a shared file between game and viewer which may have become corrupted?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 06:03:44 AM »
I've solved the problem and may have found a small bug. I found this folder:

C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High\settings\planes

Inside this folder was a file called defhead.hps. By a process of elimination I found out that this was the little bugger which was causing the trouble. It apparently contained 64 vectors (3 columns of floating point numbers with six zeros after the decimal). They were all zeros apart from the very first number which was '-990.177017'. Weird, I thought.

Assuming this was wonky I manually corrected it back to '0.000000' like all the other numbers and my problem disappeared, film viewer working perfectly again.

I didn't see a settings folder at all when I re-installed the game, so I assume that folder and the files therein are created when you set things. I'm pretty sure my film viewer woes started when I downloaded and watched a film made by another player. Is it possible that this file could have become corrupted by a film? Something unusual about another player's view settings perhaps, different to mine say?

I've tried to make sense of decimal '-990.177017' in binary to see if there was a connection with 330 (the distance my head position was displaced to the left) but I don't know enough about how the variables are stored to make a connection.

I still have a copy of the file intact if it will help find a bug?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-