Author Topic: Midway duels for his name...  (Read 11399 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: Midway duels for his name...
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 04:35:19 PM »
What is the top speed of a Spitfire Mark VIII in level flight with WEP and without a drop tank?

depends, what if a person of low moral fibre climbs up out of visual range then dives back down before the opponent sees your dot...?
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 04:38:53 PM »
Midway flies way better than I can *shrug* 

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 04:39:02 PM »
11 m.p.h discrepancy in the second film at the merge.

Not the old dive in to the deck merge trick BadBoy surely, with the firm intention of energy fighting your opponent from the get go. Then you bring that here and expect peer support.

I say shenanigans.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »

depends, what if a person of low moral fibre climbs up out of visual range then dives back down before the opponent sees your dot...?

Knowing you bat. You shoot him in the head while inverted the whole time proclaiming your poor gunnery abilities.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 04:43:51 PM »
What is the top speed of a Spitfire Mark VIII in level flight with WEP and without a drop tank?

African or European theater Spitfire?
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 04:45:10 PM »
:D

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 04:45:21 PM »
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 04:45:29 PM »

Depends on the size of the ears.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 04:46:13 PM »
I always tried to explain Sik, I have a trained monkey who does all the flying and shooting so I can type midfight to put the opponent off  :noid

11mph at merge is not much of an advantage. Usually if foul play is invovled the difference would be at least 60mph
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 04:47:09 PM »
This is the best turn in the story yet.  I vote a rematch in 2-weeks, then after you win you hand it off to the winner of another duel for it (make sure it passes on to someone who midy will have to work hard at to beat  :devil )
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 04:49:45 PM »
I always tried to explain Sik, I have a trained monkey who does all the flying and shooting so I can type midfight to put the opponent off  :noid

11mph at merge is not much of an advantage. Usually if foul play is invovled the difference would be at least 60mph

I agree, but it's enough for that technique, especially if someone has basically only been doing that for ten years. In the interests of fair play and given what they were fighting for I would assume they'd have to be equal. Merge not shown in the first film.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 04:59:44 PM »
yes, merge not shown in the first film was very odd. Almost no point posting a film at that late stage.

You will notice that by the time each of them has performed a half turn into the second merge during the second fight that the altitudes both read 3.7k while the speed discrepancy is 30mph in Gunzo's favour. This is down to better E conserving control and nothing more. Midway (php) was more aggressive and in that won himelf a good solution. Gunzo was lucky to get away with that but having not taken any damage the fight was then entirely decided. the original 11mph difference was probably due to smoother dive or use of wep versus non use of wep

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 05:05:42 PM »
yes, merge not shown in the first film was very odd. Almost no point posting a film at that late stage.

You will notice that by the time each of them has performed a half turn into the second merge during the second fight that the altitudes both read 3.7k while the speed discrepancy is 30mph in Gunzo's favour. This is down to better E conserving control and nothing more. Midway (php) was more aggressive and in that won himelf a good solution. Gunzo was lucky to get away with that but having not taken any damage the fight was then entirely decided. the original 11mph difference was probably due to smoother dive or use of wep versus non use of wep

It's not luck this is his technique Batty. Dive from what though? A deck merge means you don't climb at all in my book. 11 m.p.h. is considerable against an opponent who is famous for turning aggressively in the initial merges looking for that infamous front quarter shot.

I've got no especial love for Midway's B/S bragging, but you can't be partisan. Fair is fair. I think the evidence presented indicates nothing except possible foul play.

<Quack>

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 05:14:54 PM »
I figured that they may have started at 3k until icon range but they could just as easily not have as you say.

You could well be right about foul play.

I am purely discussing the ACMs shown, I have no desire to be personally affiliated with either side of the argument. I think Gunzo was lucky because midway got some good hits although only .303s. repeated 10 times midway would have scored some damage with that solution 50% of the time. A few pilots would have made that shot look easy everytime.

However, the method of rope a dope is as old as air combat itself I should imagine. It is extremely reckless to get caught in such a way. Supposing there was no foul play in the merge then there was nothing wrong with this method of killing. Not the most glamorous method or much of a display of skill, but falling for the oldest trick in the book is not the fault of the roper but the ropee.

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 05:31:35 PM »
I don't care who you are that is funny!!  :rofl

I already put it out on 200 that I want the Midway name for a awhile.

:D
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.