Author Topic: X-47B drone makes first carrier landing.  (Read 746 times)

Offline Nypsy

• Silver Member
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 02:05:43 PM by Nypsy »

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Re: X-47B drone makes first carrier landing.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 03:26:20 PM »
I don't like the look of it. Makes me uncomfortable. Few things have that effect on me, very strange.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:34:20 PM »
kinda eerie isn't it?  :lol

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 03:39:34 PM »
kinda eerie isn't it?  :lol

(Image removed from quote.)

Well, at least that bug-plane looks like it has a cockpit. Something wrong about
planes without pilots.

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 04:08:27 PM »
Yes this movie.... Funny how similar the AI aircraft of that movie looks too the OP

http://www.300mbfilms.com/stealth-2005-brrip-700mb

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »
No matter what you think it looks like, it is an impressive feat of engineering.

First autonomous aircraft landing, on an aircraft carrier.  Impressive.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 04:59:50 PM »
It's impressive, alright.

But it's also dehumanizing.  :(

Then again, WWIII only takes a button push and it's been that way since before I was born.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 05:15:06 PM »
LOL, talk about drones. All these non-Democratic nations in the UN get them to issue this thing about how drones are "DE-humanizing", since they are scared of us developing the technology, and now its the "P-correct" thing to repeat. Im scratching my head over the difference between a man plane dropping a bomb and a drone, controlled by a pilot, dropping one.

Not that I care. The only ones I give a damn about are our own troops. But Im the father of an airman and not programmed to wax philosophic over nothing.

And yes its an impressive feat of engineering. Let us hope the maturing technology will allow many more of our troops to come home in one piece after a conflict. To some of us thats important.

It's impressive, alright.

But it's also dehumanizing.  :(

Then again, WWIII only takes a button push and it's been that way since before I was born.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »
I like this one
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 06:25:42 PM »
LOL, talk about drones. All these non-Democratic nations in the UN get them to issue this thing about how drones are "DE-humanizing", since they are scared of us developing the technology, and now its the "P-correct" thing to repeat. Im scratching my head over the difference between a man plane dropping a bomb and a drone, controlled by a pilot, dropping one.

Not that I care. The only ones I give a damn about are our own troops. But Im the father of an airman and not programmed to wax philosophic over nothing.

And yes its an impressive feat of engineering. Let us hope the maturing technology will allow many more of our troops to come home in one piece after a conflict. To some of us thats important.

For the record, I'm not repeating or regurgitating anything. While it's understandable that reduction of casualties via technology has it's merits (though some are now looking back at Hiroshima and Nagasaki in a different light), dehumanizing war does indeed make it an easier option to consider. No threat of loss of life (for the attacker/instigator) makes for less thought or consideration.

Now .... what I was really lamenting is the loss of an era. It'll be a hard sell to romanticize the bravery and sacrifice of drone number 3589 risking it's CPU over enemy territory.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:30:53 PM by Arlo »

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 06:40:12 PM »

And yes its an impressive feat of engineering. Let us hope the maturing technology will allow many more of our troops to come home in one piece after a conflict. To some of us that's important.

The more we remove ourselves from actual war and death, the more inhuman we become. It's why wars are lasting for 10 or more years now. War should be just that...war, Painful, deadly, horrible. War should be a last resort, not pre-emptive, or for imagined threats. The problem with "pure" science, ambition, whatever, is that it lacks ethics or the true consideration of the consequences, possibly off in the future. To do something just because you can, may be "cool", but often it leads to calamity. I we have this technology, now, others will, and who's gonna be the first to push the button?
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 06:52:01 PM »
Reminds me of a movie where the civilians are so used to war that they go on about their daily life while they watch live footage of an air battle happening over head. Who knows? Maybe in a 100 year, watching another nation getting obliterated from the face of the Earth would be a reality TV show.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
I'm curious as to why they numbered it 502.

In the past... before there were complete air wings of F/A-18s and there was a much more diverse air wings with several different aircraft. 500 aircraft series #'s were usually reserved for the A-6. Which ironically shares the same landing gear as the X-47B as well as tail hook.

:D Intruders forever...

There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 11:16:40 PM »
No matter what you think it looks like, it is an impressive feat of engineering.

First autonomous aircraft landing, on an aircraft carrier.  Impressive.
All fun and games until it becomes self aware.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 02:41:53 AM »
All fun and games until it becomes self aware.

Don't worry. As long as it's aware of the fact that it needs a human ground crew to be able to exist we're doing fine ;)

Fully autonomous production lines with self sustaining power, maintenance, replication and control would be worrying.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone