Author Topic: X-47B drone makes first carrier landing.  (Read 745 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: X-47B drone makes first carrier landing.
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 12:40:24 PM »
It can refuel in the air, so it can stay up as long as it needs to.  It does know when it needs fuel.

I would assume any ocean bound mission would be in the Pacific.  Obviously, the Navy is not going to announce the exact dates and location of such exercises until it is complete.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2013, 03:01:39 PM »
Right then.  East coast it is.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2013, 03:26:36 PM »
As I understand it, the next phase of testing includes autonomous search and destroy missions.

They will not be thinking for themselves if indeed they do. Already we have arty shells that seek out armor profiles on the ground to destroy. The TLACM itself is an autonomous search and destroy system, as are most anti-ship missiles. Phalanx is a S/D system. The Israel Harpy is also one. The Brits are also developing such a system. Even if X47B has such a capability there will still be a human in the loop.

Not that I personally care. As long as they dont become Cylons I say build many and build often. Staying/remaining far to techno advanced will prevent war and hopefully never again will allied boys and girls have to fight another major conflict. Peace thru strength/technical superiority is the only for sure way to deter aggressors. We are history buffs to play this game and surely we've learned that lesson.

This is an old story in the world. Saw the same thing in our Reagan era arms build up. Potential hostiles dont want to get into another round of tech build up with the West so they become the svengalis behind a "the weapons are evil" campaign thru their INTL comrades in the media

No the X47b is not stealthy but the eventual system born out of it will be. Its an exciting time to join the service and go into drones. The sky is the limit.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 03:32:09 PM by Rich46yo »
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
As I understand it, the next phase of testing includes autonomous search and destroy missions.

They will not be thinking for themselves if indeed they do.

Actually, the word 'autonomous' means just that. Whether the autonomy can be overridden is another thing. And yes, it would be foolish to actually design such .... but .... there have been system failures that came really close to a bad situation (and that's with humans in the loop).

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/military/nuclear-false-alarms.html

There's even talk of drones killing innocents as they are being guided by humans. Imagine that?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/25/world/asia/pakistan-us-drone-strikes/

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2013, 06:08:33 PM »
Rich46yo, for that 'mission' test, they will feed the objective into the drone and it will be on its own after it takes off.  It will launch from land, find the target, destroy it, then land on an aircraft carrier.  It will be able to radio for refueling, during the course of the exercise.

Of course it is not live fire, and it will be monitored, but it is on its own, unless something goes wrong.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »
I would assume any ocean bound mission would be in the Pacific.  Obviously, the Navy is not going to announce the exact dates and location of such exercises until it is complete.

Since the other tests are off Patuxent, I would guess any other tests would be in the vicinity of the Patuxent naval air test center.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!