Author Topic: Moving on  (Read 196 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Moving on
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:38:54 AM »
I put in my 2 weeks at the surveying company I work for right now. The 600 hours a year of flying I was promised is closer to 250 - and surveying full time is le stink. I'm still going to fly for them, but not survey. I'm selling the Mooney and am going to buy a Citabria to start teaching tailwheel - after I spend 10-15 hour with an aerobatic CFI, perhaps offer aerobatic instruction as well. I'll also be offering primary instruction in a Cherokee 180 and 140. I'll offer complex/high performance and commercial training in a Debonair.

It sounds like a great way to make a small fortune :D

Wish me luck AH friends
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Re: Moving on
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 10:49:49 AM »
"Small" fortune is right :)

Good luck.  I've considered opening a side business doing aerobatics and upset training but haven't had the time to even look into it seriously.  Nearly 1500 hours of teaching UPT in the T-37 and T-6 ought to be useful somewhere, and I spent hours upon hours teaching basic aerobatics, spins, stalls, etc.  All I need to do is figure out how the FAA wants it taught (they scoff at military style control/performance concepts) and I figure I'd have a lot to teach even experienced civilian pilots and even "heavy" military pilots.

Lots of things to find out though...  Who's going to rent me a little aerobatic aircraft?  Will I be competing with established and potentially ruthless local training outfits (this is vegas after all)?  What about insurance?  Will the local FBO be helpful or give me grief when trying to find a place to instruct, find students, etc?  Will I have to compete with a local outfit for the aircraft rental?  Will I have to first try to fly for a local outfit just to get my foot in the door?  Will the old farts scoff at my clearly superior flying skills merely because I don't have the FAA upset training syllabus memorized?
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:08:21 AM »
The local FBO here (Silverhawk) is incredibly helpful and I will also be instructing with another outfit as a freelance instructor - since I'm literally the only person who would be doing aerobatic/tailwheel instruction within 150 miles I shouldn't have to worry about competitors in my little market. Harry Barr is one of the guys who started Duncan aviation, he has a P51, and is my hangar neighbor and said he would teach me everything I wanted to learn. (In my Citabria, of course) insurance isn't a big deal as long as I keep it dual only, no student solos. The only local outfit I would need to compete with is performance, and MPP (the company I would freelance for) already competes with them. I've talked to a bunch (probably 20) pilots around Lincoln and Omaha and the general consensus is of someone was doing tailwheel training nearby they would be interested. I could get a rides waiver from the friendly neighborhood FSDO and do aerobatic rides for adventurous souls.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:36:20 AM »
Here I thought you were leaving AH to play with pink ponies.

:cry
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 11:54:48 AM »
Here I thought you were leaving AH to play with pink ponies.

:cry

I haven't played in quite sometime - I rarely log into the forums.