Author Topic: Bring on the Hos  (Read 8907 times)

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Bring on the Hos
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2013, 02:43:31 PM »
hmmm... a slight discrepancy from each perspective...

internet.. two players will never see each other in the same spaces at the exact same times.. perspective.  :salute

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2013, 02:44:55 PM »
Sure, I'm usually on between 10AM-3PM EST before I work.

It'll have to be a weekend for us then, as I'm working during those hours.  This weekend's kinda tied up for me, wife stuff, but will try to find you at some point.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2013, 02:46:38 PM »
Ahhh ..... you logged to work. Sounded like we were gonna test ramming and I was gonna take on your 190 and 410 in different plane types. You were looking good. Lets give it a right good testing.  :)  :salute

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2013, 02:47:12 PM »
It'll have to be a weekend for us then, as I'm working during those hours.  This weekend's kinda tied up for me, wife stuff, but will try to find you at some point.

Wiley.

Sure, send a PM with the time and I'll see if I can make it. Or just send me a time during the weekday and I might be able to make it.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2013, 03:07:19 PM »
First HO - 800 yards - Hits at 400.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RNpxdIAQAQ

Second HO - 800 Yards - Hits at 200.

Sorry for the bad film quality. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn back on the recorder on the third attempt, but outcome was the same.

And again, in case some one fails to read what I've been saying this whole time. i don't advocate HOing, but my point is that if a competent pilot wants to HO you, they will.

semp

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2013, 03:26:46 PM »
Thanks Titan. From the movie it looked like Arlo was merging in plane which made him vulnerable. i don't know what the agreed conditions were.

And again, in case some one fails to read what I've been saying this whole time. i don't advocate HOing, but my point is that if a competent pilot wants to HO you, they will.

Never doubted it.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2013, 03:27:44 PM »
It was pretty much do whatever you can do avoid it after 1K.

semp

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2013, 03:37:13 PM »
Steve said it a long time ago and it has stuck with me ever since for it's simple truth; it takes two to HO. In my experience, getting lateral and vertical separation and avoiding staying in a predictable plane of flight for the duration of the merge will foil almost all HO attempts. If the HOer is that intent on HOing, he usually sacrifices all positioning and hopes for winning the fight if he misses his one fleeting shot. As Titan pointed out, however, there will always be scenarios where you are simply out of E and unable to get the necessary evasive maneuvers in before being hit and in those cases there's nothing you can really do but hope for a miss or try to knock him out first.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2013, 03:41:42 PM »
It was pretty much do whatever you can do avoid it after 1K.

And I'd be remiss in not congratulating you and admitting that there apparently are indeed some skilled sticks that are difficult to avoid, when it comes to HOs. Likely, the thousands of HOs I've managed to avoid over the years weren't as skilled. But then, that's half the point. Also, I've never claimed to be the best at anything in AH. Nor have I seen anyone else in this thread claim so. But I wouldn't be surprised if more than one who have lined up to avoid your HOs in this test of HO avoiding may well succeed where I have so abysmally failed. As you said, any plane, any pilot.

It may come to that.

However, I'm offering you both a salute and a handshake.  :) :salute :cheers:

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2013, 03:48:39 PM »
The 1k thing is an interesting wrinkle.  With that in mind, if I do indeed get slapped down under those conditions, I'd be curious to try with the limit being at 1.3k do what I can.  At 1.0k, you're less than a tenth of a second from firing.  Plane can't move much in that time.  I'm still interested though.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2013, 11:55:42 PM »
Yeah 1k is a bit close. I'm usually set up as TonyJoey suggested long before that in a normal merge. Holding still and offering the HO shot and then pulling the rug out just when they're about to fire is comedy gold. Especially when they realize after that first merge what going for that shot cost them. I don't know why but it makes me think of The Three Stooges  :lol

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2013, 08:38:22 AM »
So then I propose a test. Wiley (or whoever wants to try it with me), we start the merge but each time that I successfully kill/damage you, we move back the distance that you can start maneuvering. So ex: 1K, you die, we move back 1.5K, etc etc. and then if I can't hit you at the 1K distance at all, then we move closer. Until we figure out the point where HOing is avoidable and unavoidable. Although I think by the time it's 2K or more, it's not a HO anymore, it's just prepping for the merge.

semp

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2013, 10:05:35 AM »
So then I propose a test. Wiley (or whoever wants to try it with me), we start the merge but each time that I successfully kill/damage you, we move back the distance that you can start maneuvering. So ex: 1K, you die, we move back 1.5K, etc etc. and then if I can't hit you at the 1K distance at all, then we move closer. Until we figure out the point where HOing is avoidable and unavoidable. Although I think by the time it's 2K or more, it's not a HO anymore, it's just prepping for the merge.

Sounds good to me.  My general strategy for avoiding HO's I like to start around 2k, but I believe at 1.3 I will have a decent chance of avoiding it.  Sounds like fun.  We'll start at 1k and see what happens.

Looking at the thread, I think some of us are talking about 2 different things or possibly 2 ways to approach it.

What I use as 'HO avoidance' in the MA is what I believe you're referring to as prepping for the merge.  I look at it as the other guy may be coming in for the face shot but I don't give it to him.

It's probably gonna turn out we're both more or less 'right' depending on how we define the conditions. :)

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2013, 11:03:03 AM »

Then all you're confirming is the old adage 'it takes 2 to ho' and it's not the crisis you're attempting to make it out to be.

I inadvertently interrupted a training session Kazaa and another of your squadies was having. Twas `tween engagements
and their typing fingers were broken at the time. Never-the-less, I apologized for the transgression. All in all, though, the
DA experience was fine. Thanks, the lot of ya. And another salute to yas for coming up with the HO DA test thing ... and
Hoing successfully.  :) :salute

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2013, 07:51:37 PM »

I also once read in a US Navy manual that a HO was any shot into the front of the 3-9 line.
That's correct, I read that too. But people here will get all bent if you use the terms front shot and HO synonymously. It's as if they feel one term is more derogatory. There used to be a game wherein HO/front shots didn't work, they just wouldn't connect. As a result players in that game who learned to be good in 190s and p51s were very good, and when they came over to aces high they cleaned house.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck