Author Topic: More detailed terrain?  (Read 1342 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: More detailed terrain?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 08:32:43 AM »
Flocks of birds (doesnt have to be collidable)
Personnel manning auto ack guns
Sun rays
Swaying trees/better looking trees
Better smoke/fire effects
Oil that streaks on your canopy instead of static black mesh
Similarily, water droplets flying through clouds
Contrails
Concussion effects from explosions
Better looking debris instead of plane parts that looks way out of place when they fall
Reflective canopy glass (it looks like glass in external view, but internal view, it's like the glass isn't even there)
Depth of field
Realistic/varied puffy ack explosions
Water (like you said)
Dust/water spray when flying close to the ground
Better damage effects on objects, planes and vehicles
New ship death animation
Fireballs that rolls on the ground relative to the impact direction instead of just a puff
Different effects for rockets, bombs, shells and cannons (they all look the same)
Tracers that corresponds with the plane historically

Oh my, I could ramble on for days.
ya, we all know you could ramble on for years and all for crap that doesn't do one thing to actually improve the game...tiresome. take a break and come back when you find an actual mmo flight sim that has the capabilities of ah and has all the crap you think is important. the latest 2 mmo wannabe flight sims that are in open beta don't fit the bill...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 08:55:03 AM »
 :lol

I don't think people realize its a wish list. All the fanboys gets their butts hurt when improvements are wished for. Heck, there weren't even any real criticism in my post. I wonder how hard the knot your panties would be in if I god forbid I said something bad about the game.  :rolleyes:

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 09:05:12 AM »
Wait .... the wishlist is about wishes?! And they ... don't hafta be realistic or practical ones?!

Ahhhhhh!

I want a beer cooler to pop out and open lid tween sorties
And .... rare collector baseball card to pop out of the monitor every time we get a kill
And .... I wish for world peace
And .... a cheeseburger
And .... the Cubs to win the World series
And ....

:D

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 09:12:46 AM »
Better graphics isn't practical? TIL....thanks for your input Arlo, better luck with the next attempt you try to "shoot me down" on this BBS.  ;)

semp

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 09:17:31 AM »
it wouldn't be so bad if you had a clue what it would take to make you feel all warm and fuzzy...unless you really like the limitations that the developers of those other mmo flight sims had to adopt to keep their eye candy.

we all know it's not perfect, but some of us have a firm enough grasp on reality to understand the implications to everyone, including you. personally i wish htc would at least move to directx 10 just because of the potential for improved graphics handling. but unlike some people, i know harping on it everytime someone even mentions a graphics issue in ah is childishly useless.
jarhed  

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 09:18:03 AM »
Better graphics isn't practical? TIL....thanks for your input Arlo, better luck with the next attempt you try to "shoot me down" on this BBS.  ;)

Not the way you ask for them, they aren't.

And .... tornadoes and hurricanes randomly distributed
And .... this
And .... that
And .... this
And .... that
And .... this
And .... that
And .... this
And .... that
And .... this
And .... that
And .... this
And .... that
And .... this
And .... that
And .... more
And .... all of this in the next patch

Hey, unknot em. This is a wishlist, yaknow.  :D

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 09:45:10 AM »
it wouldn't be so bad if you had a clue what it would take to make you feel all warm and fuzzy...unless you really like the limitations that the developers of those other mmo flight sims had to adopt to keep their eye candy.

we all know it's not perfect, but some of us have a firm enough grasp on reality to understand the implications to everyone, including you. personally i wish htc would at least move to directx 10 just because of the potential for improved graphics handling. but unlike some people, i know harping on it everytime someone even mentions a graphics issue in ah is childishly useless.

You could scroll back to the first page of the wishlist where some people were laughing at the idea of some of the things we have now. It's ok, I'll wait. Bring this post up next time we get a graphics update.  :)

semp

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »
You could scroll back to the first page of the wishlist where some people were laughing at the idea of some of the things we have now. It's ok, I'll wait. Bring this post up next time we get a graphics update.  :)

Yeah yeah .... flocks of birdies and trees blowing in the wind.  :lol

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 10:02:36 AM »
Bruv,

IIRC, custom tile textures ARE allowed on Main Arena terrains, (been a while since I've looked into it) so it's just a matter of someone making a new underwater brush and making it available for use.

Arlo,

That's awesome, so it looks like the capability for colored lighting is already there, it's just not being used in the Mains? Is that a map setting, or an Arena setting?

titanic,

Flocks of birds (doesnt have to be collidable) - Would add absolutely nothing for the game. Completely unnecessary.
Personnel manning auto ack guns - This would be a nice touch, but might cause spikes to frame rate loss around airfields and towns, etc.
Sun rays - Unnecessary. With Aces High's weather conditions you'd almost never see this effect outside of the occasional special event.
Swaying trees/better looking trees - Once again, unnecessary. Aircraft will almost never be low and slow enough to see this effect, negligible benefit for the ground game, as well
Better smoke/fire effects - I wouldn't mind seeing this. Especially to have variable amounts of smoke so your aircraft doesn't go from perfectly fine to massive black cloud with a single engine ping. Would provide a better visual to attacking craft how bad the target is really hit.
Oil that streaks on your canopy instead of static black mesh - YES. ESPECIALLY since not every engine hit should lead to a giant smear of oil across the windscreen. To avoid costly fluid effects you can even make "oil splatter" decals like the bullet holes and blood splatters. Say, a light hit might throw small splatters across the windscreen that start to build up over time. Worse hits throw more or larger wads on the screen. I think Jane's WWII Fighters used something like this.
Similarily, water droplets flying through clouds - Unnecessary.
Contrails - Would be a nice touch, but questionable on how much of a performance impact it would have. This would mainly be an issue in scenarios and special events since Main Arena fights are usually well below the altitude at which contrails would form.
Concussion effects from explosions - Elaborate. Do you mean more effects from blast radius (IE, near misses working against ships) or purely cosmetic?
Better looking debris instead of plane parts that looks way out of place when they fall - What's wrong with the current effects? I'd assume if I shot someone's wing off it would...look like the wing falling off.
Reflective canopy glass (it looks like glass in external view, but internal view, it's like the glass isn't even there) - How prevalent would such reflections REALLY be? Enough to make rendering them worth the potential frame rate loss?
Depth of field
Realistic/varied puffy ack explosions - So you're wanting to add dynamic particle effects to have ack bursts that don't look the same? Say buh-bye to your frame rate. Completely unnecessary.
Water (like you said)
Dust/water spray when flying close to the ground - Unnecessary, how often are you going to be THAT low?
Better damage effects on objects, planes and vehicles - Do you mean visually or its effect on performance? I'd love to see the more detailed WWI model (IE, hits to the surface skin of the wings disrupting lift) applied to the WWII aircraft, as well as fuel line, control line, oil return, etc. damage. Aside from the issues with oil mentioned above I don't think there's much that needs to be done with visual damage modeling.
New ship death animation - This could probably be made more dynamic without substantial performance loss. IE, if a ship is torpedoed on the starboard side it might capsize in that direction.
Fireballs that rolls on the ground relative to the impact direction instead of just a puff - Probably wouldn't take too much to do, since fire can already be made to follow aircraft through the sky.
Different effects for rockets, bombs, shells and cannons (they all look the same) - At the very least, more variation depending on the size of the boom should be doable. Since it's not a constant effect it wouldn't much impact performance.
Tracers that corresponds with the plane historically - It would be nice to see historical tracer colors varying on aircraft, and probably wouldn't affect performance, but it wouldn't add a whole lot to the game, either, so isn't worthwhile unless it can be done extremely efficiently.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
Arlo,

That's awesome, so it looks like the capability for colored lighting is already there, it's just not being used in the Mains? Is that a map setting, or an Arena setting?

Twas ImAdot ..... but yes. I believe the reason we don't get the colorful sunrises and sunsets are due to the time settings.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 10:18:28 AM »
I don't know about you guys and whether or not you play other games besides AH...but little touches like that makes the game feels more alive than it already is. But I forgot, AH playerbase isn't exactly full of gamers, so I guess they wouldn't appreciate the little touches that developers adds in their games.  Immersion seems to be a lost thought here.

semp

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 10:30:55 AM »
as the screenshots posted above prove, the current engine is already capable of much more. It is a matter of implementing stuff into the maps. There are some things that can be refined like getting more rounded instead of angled surfaces on the ground and mountains and a surface that is more than an asphalt painted green. But there is much more than can be achieved with the current engine that is not used to its full capacity. The people with older machines can still adjust their sliders to reduce the load.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 10:32:24 AM »
I don't know about you guys and whether or not you play other games besides AH...but little touches like that makes the game feels more alive than it already is. But I forgot, AH playerbase isn't exactly full of gamers, so I guess they wouldn't appreciate the little touches that developers adds in their games.  Immersion seems to be a lost thought here.

Not completely lost.  JG11 is fully immersed.  When we roll out of the hangers, taxi down to the runway and line up for take off with engines spun up, all the time with Stampf adding to the immersion by giving us a historical briefing and instructions.  Then in flight we are in flight formation, very little non-sortie chatter, and the enemy is spotted.....................w e are fully involved in the moment.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 10:50:22 AM »
immersion doesn't require trees swaying in the wind...or the look of fireballs on the ground from 5000ft while traveling at 300+mph....if you're fighting you don't have time to admire the scenery. i've been a "gamer" for longer than i care to remember, combat simulation is fun because the character movements and weapons work properly, not because the grenade explosions look different than artillery explosions.
jarhed  

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 10:53:52 AM »

Mnnoooooo .... your perception is a tad off. Immersion takes more forms than swaying trees and bird flocks. Frankly, unless you're bird-watching on the tarmac, you wouldn't be sight-seeing most of what you listed. There's also practical limitations to consider. AHII is not a ground first-person shooter game, where AN aircraft or two may fly overhead. High frame rates are the bread and butter of a good flight sim. In modern action-oriented games where players must visually track animated objects and react quickly, frame rates of between 30 and 60 FPS are considered acceptable by most. With Aces High 60fps adds more to the game than any amount of fancy graphics. Presuming that you're unique, when it comes to game experiences, is not a realistic perception. If you follow even a relatively small sampling of O Club threads, you'll find many games discussed by many players. I, myself, have played lots of other games both before and after I started AHII. But AHII has never really let me down.