Author Topic: Where have all the players gone?  (Read 14041 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Where have all the players gone?
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »
Could be the owners of AH are happy with the simulation as it is with a few updates now and then so they can have a life. 

Then there is their exit strategy.  How do they get out and buy that beach house?  Save money now or is there a market for the aging software they have develop and for the business model.  Can't blame them for wanting a good retirement after AH.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2013, 02:57:25 PM »
:rofl   :lol  dammit Arlo, don't make me laugh so hard...

you know he has a slight simplistically minded point...  :headscratch: ...if some sort of "arcade mode" or "relaxed mode" say 30 v 30 head to head thing was put up with a limited plane set...it could draw some new blood in...potentially.

You've met Dale, haven't you?  :)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2013, 03:02:01 PM »
You've met Dale, haven't you?  :)
no, i'd have to go to texas and that's against my religion...no speaky texican.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2013, 03:03:27 PM »
no, i'd have to go to texas and that's against my religion...no speaky texican.

I'll make sure you have safe passage.  :D

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2013, 03:21:50 PM »
I prefer the larger "unlimited world" maps.  I like to furball about 1/3 of the time, fly base capture missions and jabo about 1/3 of the time, and fly high deep strike bomber missions about 1/3 of the time.  I don't GV much, but that is another aspect of AH that is fun for others.  I can find all of the above on the larger maps, but on the small maps my options are often more limited.  I see comments where it is suggested smaller maps would force better game play by channeling the fight.  Jabo missions aren't fun if you always have to drop ords to dogfight.  Long range bombing missions aren't fun if you are always intercepted while still trying to gain altitude 1 or 2 sectors after takeoff (unless you are 999000 looking to dogfight in a B-17 :) ).

And we have talked about noobs being seal clubbed out of the game.  On small maps that force more numbers into smaller areas I would think it would be even harder for noobs to survive.  I think the larger maps give noobs more breathing room.  You can usually up at a capped field to be in a fight in 30 seconds, or fly 1 sector to the nearest furball.  But the large maps also give you other options.  On a large map during non-prime time when a furball can be hard to find there are often great 1v1 and 2v2 opportunities.  And if everyone was of like mind all it would take is a call on 200 "Let's all meet to furball at A123" and you would have a fight.  If not everybody on the map shows up they may not want to furball.  Large maps seem to offer more freedom of game play activities and styles.

Just my two cents worth (actually $14.95 worth) :)
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »
Yet arcade style games make mad money?   Maybe the model is wrong here. 

I like it here.  It plays as true gaming experience.

How many people, cough, kids, cough, really want to play one single, simple, $15 per month, WWII fighter game forever?

HT could put out more Ads to bring in more fresh meat, but im sure they have considered many of those options.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2013, 04:15:27 PM »
I prefer the larger "unlimited world" maps.  I like to furball about 1/3 of the time, fly base capture missions and jabo about 1/3 of the time, and fly high deep strike bomber missions about 1/3 of the time.  I don't GV much, but that is another aspect of AH that is fun for others.  I can find all of the above on the larger maps, but on the small maps my options are often more limited.  I see comments where it is suggested smaller maps would force better game play by channeling the fight.  Jabo missions aren't fun if you always have to drop ords to dogfight.  Long range bombing missions aren't fun if you are always intercepted while still trying to gain altitude 1 or 2 sectors after takeoff (unless you are 999000 looking to dogfight in a B-17 :) ).

And we have talked about noobs being seal clubbed out of the game.  On small maps that force more numbers into smaller areas I would think it would be even harder for noobs to survive.  I think the larger maps give noobs more breathing room.  You can usually up at a capped field to be in a fight in 30 seconds, or fly 1 sector to the nearest furball.  But the large maps also give you other options.  On a large map during non-prime time when a furball can be hard to find there are often great 1v1 and 2v2 opportunities.  And if everyone was of like mind all it would take is a call on 200 "Let's all meet to furball at A123" and you would have a fight.  If not everybody on the map shows up they may not want to furball.  Large maps seem to offer more freedom of game play activities and styles.

Just my two cents worth (actually $14.95 worth) :)

Good point.

And I add BRING BACK TWO LATE WAR ARENAS.
I, as a noob, love to get away from the thrill seekers and hordelings.  I found much more fun in the blue arena.  I remember hating Titanic Tuesday because of the overpopulation of the fights, similar to what we have today.

Some have said two arenas simply allowed more hordes.  Each player would go to the arena where his team was winning...???  I dont know, I think I just liked the space.

:airplane:

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2013, 04:17:31 PM »

LW Pacific and LW Europe?  :D

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2013, 04:26:49 PM »
Good point.

I, as a noob, love to get away from the thrill seekers and hordelings.  I found much more fun in the blue arena.  I remember hating Titanic Tuesday because of the overpopulation of the fights, similar to what we have today.

Some have said two arenas simply allowed more hordes.  Each player would go to the arena where his team was winning...???  I dont know, I think I just liked the space.

:airplane:

The maps are so huge there should be zero problem milk running towns or what ever you please. I can't seem to find this over populating of fights you speak of.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2013, 04:50:03 PM »
Up with a buddy, fly to the DAR ring and announce you'd like a fight. 

"Hey bish, changeup and Dodger are at the 51 DAR ring, wanna win a fight?"

That usually gets you some action.  Oh, feel free to use our names if yours isn't stinky enough cuz we don't mind...they'll show.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2013, 04:57:05 PM »
People (kids especially) today are reward junkies, they need a quick fix ie a game that doesn't take too long to play, is fun and rewarding. Typically a CoD game is about 10 minutes, very intense and at the end you get rewards bonuses and whatnot. It triggers the same type of psychological reward substances as women get a kick out of when going shopping. Got the point yet?

Aces High is a bit away from that kind of gameplay. That is a good thing!  :cheers:

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2013, 04:59:57 PM »
wow!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but this thread (and all identical threads throughout the years) amazes me. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Although I suppose it's kind of a comfort to know the playerbase is still griping about the same crap as 2000, as 2001, 2, 3 etc... makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that I can hop back in after a huge hiatus and find things still in the same general order.

As for those of you with complaints regarding how others fly (hordes, maps, timid fighters, etc)... get over it. They have always been and they will always be... so shut up and fly. :)
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2013, 05:28:12 PM »
wow!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but this thread (and all identical threads throughout the years) amazes me. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Although I suppose it's kind of a comfort to know the playerbase is still griping about the same crap as 2000, as 2001, 2, 3 etc... makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that I can hop back in after a huge hiatus and find things still in the same general order.

As for those of you with complaints regarding how others fly (hordes, maps, timid fighters, etc)... get over it. They have always been and they will always be... so shut up and fly. :)

Yes they have ALWAYS been here, but they are much more numerous now. In the old days you could get 2,3, 4 flights in a row with nothing but good fun fights, then get a HOer, or runner. Today it is the opposite. 3,4,5 flights in a row you get HOed, or ganged, or stuck chasing a runners, then the next flight you get a fun fight with someone. It's kinda like golf now, you get that one got fight/shot that makes you come back again, and again.

That's why you see threads like this just get fluffed off.... oh, that again. The issue is it is getting much more noticeable. Old days we would have a bunch of squads get together and plan a bunch of missions and try to run the map... RSO's maybe  :headscratch: don't remember what they were called, but basically it was a horde more often than not. They would invite the other teams to try and stop them. Today the Bish horde runs from mid afternoon ET to around supper, then the ROOK horde takes over as the Bish have to log for bed. Knits get there horde running now and then as well, but the Bish and Rook ones you can almost set your clock to.

The same goes for the HOs and gangs. Old days many would stay out of a 3 on 1, now you have an extra 5 joining in to make it 8 on 1. Sure we had all this stuff in the old days, just not so much of it.

Since you raised the issue... and I might be qualified to make a comment...
Six to ten people would be completely unworkable. It's hard enough to find two people who agree on game-play issues and after all, that's the first thing isn't it. Three might work, two is more likely, but if anyone bails, then the original project concept dies. If I were to pick, then the perfect team would be two people. It would include an artist to create textures for both water and land, and to paint the terrain with those textures. The art work is as important as the layout of the terrain and it's the only customizing allowed in MA terrains. Partner number two would be responsible for the elevations, placing the bases and all the mundane issues in building the terrain. That would be a pretty equal division of labor, but agreement on game-play would be the most likely thing to destroy the partnership, so that would be their first hurdle.

I would think more along the lines of a team. One coach (creative genius) in charge and the rest of the team that does what it's told, no creative input any place. One leader everyone else just put in the hours needed to put it together. If it works out the next map is lead by a different creative genius and the rest of the workers just do what they are told. Kind of like an assembly line for map making. Personally I would know how to "design" a map to make it a good playing map, but I can paint a bit, and maybe learn how to build elevations. Not sure if it's possible but say have 4 guys each take a quarter of a map and build the elevations for it. The one guy copy and pastes all the pieces together to make the one big map. 

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »
Octavius, thanks for the B5N skin that you did.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »
wow!

HUGE fan of this guy ^ whoever he is
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba