Author Topic: Silly Me Post About Tracer Vs Non Tracer.  (Read 2367 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Silly Me Post About Tracer Vs Non Tracer.
« on: July 17, 2013, 06:48:56 PM »
I cannot remember if tracer rounds in our game have a different trajectory than non tracer rounds.

I was testing tracers turned off with this update. I noticed I was using fewer rounds to kill the drones. I could be seeing things but, that would mean tracers are modeled with different ballistics. I was seeing closer patterned hit sprites when I connected without tracers.

Also found I had a higher hit rate with the Yak 9T against drones if I used the 12.7mm first, then tapped the NS-37 when I had sprites from the 12.7mm. Saved plinking around with the NS-37 looking for contact.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Silly Me Post About Tracer Vs Non Tracer.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 10:06:26 PM »
Also found I had a higher hit rate with the Yak 9T against drones if I used the 12.7mm first, then tapped the NS-37 when I had sprites from the 12.7mm. Saved plinking around with the NS-37 looking for contact.
i do that all the time with any plane that has cannons and mg's...if only i could shoot better.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 02:43:05 AM »
Danny told me that tracers in real life have a flatter trajectory because they lose mass in flight.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 10:09:57 AM »
The 20mm cannon ball ammo and HE rounds weighed near the same but the tracer round was a little heavier.

If I were making the ammo as a manufacturer, I'm pretty sure I would have tested and modified the amount of "powder" in the tracer rounds to make up for it as much as possible.

After the war, they made all 3 ammo types weigh as close as possible and my dad reports the 20mm cannons in his ride fired all 3 with the exact same trajectory because he strafed ground targets often in places where the humidity allowed you to see the path of the bullets.

In fact, it was so humid that his engine idling on the deck of the carrier caused the tips to make corkscrew contrails.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 10:59:53 AM »
"I cannot remember if tracer rounds in our game have a different trajectory than non tracer rounds."

No. They are all the same.

The burning tracer material may also cause the projectile to tumble unexpectedly if the material does not burn evenly.

I recall that e.g. in MG151/20 the powder amount was not compensated so AP and MG had different trajectories and MG had greater MV because it was so light.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 11:31:06 AM »
The 20mm cannon ball ammo and HE rounds weighed near the same but the tracer round was a little heavier.

If I were making the ammo as a manufacturer, I'm pretty sure I would have tested and modified the amount of "powder" in the tracer rounds to make up for it as much as possible.

After the war, they made all 3 ammo types weigh as close as possible and my dad reports the 20mm cannons in his ride fired all 3 with the exact same trajectory because he strafed ground targets often in places where the humidity allowed you to see the path of the bullets.

In fact, it was so humid that his engine idling on the deck of the carrier caused the tips to make corkscrew contrails.

Tracers illuminate by burning material, therefore the mass changes in flight. Non tracers have a consistent mass. How can they fly the same?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 12:52:22 PM »
Because they were designed to by the manufacturers?

I'm just repeating what was related to me by a guy who's fired thousands of both in real life.

The atomic mass of lead is 207 while the mass for phosporus is 30 and the mass for magnesium is 24.

Very little change in weight as it burns.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 01:22:50 PM »
tracers do change weight as they burn and the ballistic trajectory can alter differently depending on the type, caliber, and burn rate of the round. modern ammunition isn't as erratic as world war 1 and 2 ammunition did. and world war 2 tracer ammunition behavior varied from country to country based on the materials and manufacturing process. we're not talking something like a lightning bug all over the place but, depending on the caliber and the range, you could see the behavior if you were looking for it. in the heat of battle, the only thing you want to see from a tracer is if it's hitting the target.
jarhed  

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 04:42:54 PM »
How many bullets between tracers?  Does having tracers off give you a few extra bullet strikes on the target?

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 05:58:41 PM »
.50 cal ball ammo bullets weigh about 700 grains. That's about 1 3/4 ounces.

The phosphorus that burns for a split second (the tracer) weighs practically nothing.

If the two didn't fly the same path, what would be the point?
 (rhetorical question, of course. Those clever fellas back in the science lads figured out a way to get those pesky tracer rounds to fly the same path as the ball, the ap, the api, etc. That's why you have different types of tracer. They weigh the same with whatever they're belted with.)
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 07:13:03 PM »
The phosphorus that burns for a split second (the tracer) weighs practically nothing.

If the two didn't fly the same path, what would be the point?
 (rhetorical question, of course. Those clever fellas back in the science lads figured out a way to get those pesky tracer rounds to fly the same path as the ball, the ap, the api, etc. That's why you have different types of tracer. They weigh the same with whatever they're belted with.)
uh ok...so how do you explain m2 ball projectile weight is 700gr, tracer is 630gr, api is 639gr, armor piercing incendiary tracer is 619gr?? the weights have nothing to do with tracer types. the types are based on the way the tracers burn.
jarhed  

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 07:50:26 PM »
In WWII, the 20mm tracer used by the USA weigh more than the ball or HE rounds.

No clue what your angle is, gyrene but I doubt the people who designed the rounds know less than you do or that they sent guys to war with tracers that nowhere near where the rest of the bullets are going.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:29:04 PM by icepac »

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 09:56:57 PM »
well Icepac i think a couple years of range practice testing weapons out to 1000 yards can give a guy a fairly decent idea...we didn't just take them out of the box, mount them up and release them without testing.
jarhed  

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 01:27:21 AM »
well Icepac i think a couple years of range practice testing weapons out to 1000 yards can give a guy a fairly decent idea...we didn't just take them out of the box, mount them up and release them without testing.

I think Gyrene is correct if you look at shot out to 1000 yds. I'm willing to bet that the first 300 yds or so there wouldnt be a huge difference in tragectories but once the round are down range at 700 to 1000 yds you would start to see a difference.

I also have no doubt Gyrene put more than his shhare down range!

:salute

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 01:48:26 AM »
I'd have thought the solution is obvious - make every round a tracer. There might be a benefit to a mass-diminishing round as the velocity reduces  :)
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-