Author Topic: Latrobe's TrackIR Profile and Settings  (Read 6885 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Latrobe's TrackIR Profile and Settings
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 04:03:13 PM »
Personally I found roll axis to be quite useful from the start because I tended to naturally tilt my head to keep the horizon more level.  I found it help me keep track of the plane's orientation a bit better. Definitely only set it 1:1.  Any acceleration on the roll axis makes it really weird.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 04:53:05 PM »
I keep the roll off but with such good references on turning it on, I will give it a go again.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 03:39:27 PM »
My biggest problem initially with TrackIR was that, if it lost sight of the dots (or reference marks, or whatever you want to call them), the view snapped to some default instead of staying where it was at the point of losing the dots.

For me, it made looking "back and up" a problem, as it would go to where it should, then if I tilted my head back too far, the view would snap to something else completely.  It was very annoying.

I'll try things with the suggested setup here and see if that helps.

I wish the film viewer would allow use of TrackIR -- it would be so much easier to make nice movies.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 04:04:10 PM »
My biggest problem initially with TrackIR was that, if it lost sight of the dots (or reference marks, or whatever you want to call them), the view snapped to some default instead of staying where it was at the point of losing the dots.

For me, it made looking "back and up" a problem, as it would go to where it should, then if I tilted my head back too far, the view would snap to something else completely.  It was very annoying.

I'll try things with the suggested setup here and see if that helps.

I wish the film viewer would allow use of TrackIR -- it would be so much easier to make nice movies.

Trackclip pro, or the ballcap mounted reflectors?  What you're describing sounds like it only sees 2 of the 3 dots and interprets that as some kind of extreme head movement, pointing you into that weird direction.

I find sometimes if I tilt my head upward too far, it loses sight of my trackclip pro.  To fix this, I just tilt my headset slightly forward on my head so it's pointed a little bit more down and recenter trackIR.  Looking down I rarely move my head far enough for it to lose sight of the dots.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 04:09:45 PM »
Trackclip pro, or the ballcap mounted reflectors? 

It's the one mountable on a cap, and it is indeed losing sight of one or more of the reflectors that causes it.  I'll try to figure out a way around it, but given that, at some point, you can move your head so that not all reflectors are seen, it sure would be nice if the software just kept the view wherever it last was instead of doing something stupid.

(It's like in Windows with the scroll bar.  Drag it up or down and move your mouse so that the control loses focus, and the view will snap to where you started instead of where you were last.  I *HATE* that.  But I digress.)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 07:17:47 AM »
If you have a big enough monitor try putting it on the top of your headset band.  It might make you look like a martian.  Beware of that.  :lol

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 08:47:54 AM »
After using the regular Trackclip with the reflectors for a few years on my old TrackIR 3, I switched to the Trackclip Pro with the LEDs when I bought a TrackIR 5.  (I did use the reflector Trackclip with my new TIR5 for a while.)  I really like the Trackclip Pro.  For me, the Pro is read by the camera unit over a wider angle, and is less vulnerable to reflections off shiny surfaces.  YMMV
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 09:53:26 AM by Bino »

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 10:07:22 AM »
The Pro also negates the need for a ballcap, which resulted in a 66% reduction in mocking laughter and snide comments from my wife ack. ;)

Looking at the way the cap mounted clip is, I'm not sure how you'd go about getting it to read better as you look up.  The spacing on the reflectors makes a pretty shallow angle that you can raise your head.  I assume your trackIR is on top of the monitor, Brooke?  Might try raising it if possible.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 10:15:08 AM »
You just have to play with the position of the TrackIR and the position/angle of the Track Clip/reflectors.  With the way mine is set up, I have to make sure my Track Clip is angled as far down as possible (it's got several degrees of play when attached to my headset) and I have no issues with the up and back view. 

Took me a 2 weeks to figure that out.   :bhead
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 11:47:06 AM »
I have issues of loosing tracking with the clip when I look left but not to the right. :bhead

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2013, 12:10:39 PM »
I have issues of loosing tracking with the clip when I look left but not to the right. :bhead

Try opening the tracking and heads windows. Move your head left and right and see exactly where it's losing track. Maybe you're reflectors are angled more to one side than the other and the camera is losing sight of them. Or, maybe the reflector isn't centered on the camera?

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 12:58:32 PM »
After reading the comments on roll, I added it back in to my profile albeit a light, shallow curve.  I must say I like it.  Thanks for the post.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »
After reading the comments on roll, I added it back in to my profile albeit a light, shallow curve.  I must say I like it.  Thanks for the post.

I wouldn't put it on a curve at all.  Roll doesn't gain anything that I can see from accelerating the ingame movement, unless I'm missing a use for it...  1:1 is all it should ever be IMO.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 02:10:11 PM »
Try opening the tracking and heads windows. Move your head left and right and see exactly where it's losing track. Maybe you're reflectors are angled more to one side than the other and the camera is losing sight of them. Or, maybe the reflector isn't centered on the camera?
Thanks, I'll try that. I meant the clip pro. Doesn't happen with the reflectors. I will play some more this weekend. Getting killed a LOT in the meantime, LOL! :cry

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2013, 05:19:54 PM »
Thanks, I'll try that. I meant the clip pro. Doesn't happen with the reflectors. I will play some more this weekend. Getting killed a LOT in the meantime, LOL! :cry

You are on your way for sure.  Redbull, Latrobe or ink said once, if you are dieing, you are learning.

Wily, I switched to one-one.