Author Topic: Stall limiter - yes or no?  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Stall limiter - yes or no?
« on: July 21, 2013, 06:10:19 AM »
The general consensus seems to indicate that most experienced players don't use it, as it limits the envelope of the aircraft. I've tried it recently with a few 109 models, which always feel a bit too "twitchy".

OTOH I know a few good sticks who admit to using it 24/7. What say you? Are there specific planes that benefit from it?

Thanks.  :aok

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Stall limiter - yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 06:47:43 AM »
OTOH I know a few good sticks who admit to using it 24/7.

Really?  :huh  Who?
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 07:50:10 AM »
Stall limiter NO! Combat trim on the other hand goes either way.

Which are you really asking about?

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 08:50:45 AM »
No to both. Not that I never use combat trim but I have it mapped to a clutch/Hat 1 control for easy access. The problem with auto-trim is you forget you have it on and in the heat of fighting all of a sudden your having trouble keeping your nose up. It can be useful as a fast trim, turning it on and off, or when lining up a shot to steady your plane, but as a general rule I dont like it on all the time. I map trim to a wheel on my X52 throttle.

As for stall limiter why would anyone need it when you can hear the airplane starting to stall out anyways.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:25:39 AM »
The general consensus seems to indicate that most experienced players don't use it, as it limits the envelope of the aircraft.

As you correctly pointed out, the stall limiter has the advantage of protecting you from areas in the envelope where there is a risk of stalling or spinning, but that it also restricts your access to parts of the envelope that can produce the highest levels of performance in terms of better turning ability.

Most players I know prefer to accept the risks in order to squeeze every drop of performance from the aircraft, depending only on their skill for protection against departures.

The choice is simple:

• You can allow the game to assist you and pay the price in performance.
  • You can hone your skills and learn to ride the edge of the envelope safely and get the extra performance.

Which way you go depends on how much time or energy you wish to invest. However, I would suggest that the rewards to be had from winning without crutches are well worth the investment.

Hope that helps...

Badboy

The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 12:00:12 PM »
Here's my take on the stall limiter - and bear in mind that I've never really used it, when I started playing Aces High (many moons ago) stall limiter wasn't in the game so I've never had to deal with making the transition.

If you are using stall limiter and you switch it off the transition may be difficult (and frustrating) but eventually you will learn to fly w/out it and receive the benefit of the full range of performance from whatever plane you are flying.  Because as a player you have the ability to make adjustments, learn, improve.

If the system limits your performance you won't ever be able to get the most out of your aircraft it will be a permanent hindrance.   

I always would advise players to turn it off when they are ready.  Precisely when is of course entirely up to them and where they are at in their own AH "career". 

For any player who is thinking about taking the plunge and turning off stall limiter you may want to revisit your joystick scaling, info is available on the trainers website.
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/

Or for a direct link to the joystick setup page
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/controllers/controllers.htm#calibrate

Or mouse setup
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/mouse/mouse.htm

So I say turn it off, in the long run players will benefit with it off.  Grab a friend and spend some time in the TA just tooling around, fighting.  It might take a while but simple stick time (and maybe joystick scaling tweaks) should smooth out the rough edges.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 12:57:51 PM »
After flying for two or three years with the stall limiter on, it took a lot of practice in the DA to get somewhat used to having it off (the P-40E was my main ride at the time and that had a nasty stall).  Then after a break from the game, I couldn't keep from augering, so it was back to having it on. 

Probably 99% of the fights I lose are due more to poor ACM than not having that last little bit of performance.  And my record against trees is much better with the stall limiter.  :)
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 01:29:18 PM »
Turn it off, you'll be doing yourself a service.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 01:34:52 PM »
Really?  :huh  Who?

T'aint sayen'  :cool:

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 01:36:37 PM »
if 2 equal pilots go against one another....1 has Stall limiter on....... one has it off...the one with it off will win every time.

combat trim not so much.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 06:34:45 PM »
No.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 08:49:47 PM »
  When I first started flying AH, I had the stall limiter on, simply because it was on by default.  A wise decision, I believe, as it helps new users get used to the game.  When I turned it off, I spent a few hours flying into the ground.  But I got the hang of it, and found I was able to pull much tighter maneuvers. 

I still fly into the ground, but not nearly as often. 
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 09:27:17 PM »
I'd say if you're new to flight sims in general it might keep you out of sone trouble you could get into.  Personally I think it helps in the long run to leave it off and just get used to flying without it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 09:27:28 PM »
I feel like it should be off by default...

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »
Stall limiter (SL) does a few things great and bad.

If SL is on it will prevent your plane from having a wing stall...now this is important because there are maneuvers u cant perform unless you USE the bad effect of stall to your advantage. The trick is mastering the ability to go into and out of stall....at will.

If you dont understand why a wing stalls and what causes it you should keep it on.

On the other hand if you have a good understanding of what SL actually does then you can use it at will depending on the plane your flying and HOW you will fly your sortie.

I will try a few examples -

Spit14 - nasty wing stall at slower speeds. Use SL and you will keep more energy and prevent snap stalls at critical times....usually you want to BZ/energy fight with this plane so having it on is good.

109K4 - SL is a bad idea. This plane has a pretty wide range of stall. You can push up to it easily...and when in stall it can be controlled by using the orientation and torque of the plane. Purposely going to power on or power off stall can make this plane do really nice flips and nose ups.

Zero - No need to turn SL. It is forgiving anyway...if you are snap stalling or whatever then your not flying the plane correctly.

For new players....say with a few weeks maybe a month of playing it is very useful so they can attack hard but not loose control...it helps in understanding how a plane flys without dying every time you yank the stick to hard.

For training purposes its great. Turn SL on and fly in the MA. This will force you to use more angles and teach about energy. It's a test to use SL and stay behind someone who doesn't have it on....more yoyo moves...more finesse on playing the correct counter moves.

Then turn it off and you will get more edge out of the plane. But really you should fly correctly until you HAVE to use stall tactics.