Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 731 times)

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
Windows 8
« on: July 21, 2013, 12:31:16 PM »
This operating system is by far the most confusing I have come across, surpassing Mac.

Whenever I hit escape, my game closes.

I am not sure what button I am hitting but whenever I am in-game and I hit a certain button (unknown at the moment) my mouse will not reappear. [ Yes I have tried hitting H and opening up my clipboard, it still won't appear ]

Windows Key ? Twice as deadly now, it pulls up a list of recent things I have done on my computer. . .Taking longer to get back in-game

Help  :frown:
Top Gun

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »
windows 7
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 06:18:56 AM »
Not much can be done about it.  Windows 8 was designed for the mobile platforms, without much regard as it being used for a desktop operating system.  It really does not work well as a desktop operating system.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 09:29:07 AM »
One of the field engineers at the company I work for said something called Start8 turned his Win8 into Win7 in terms of interface.  I've not investigated it yet as I have WinXP still.

My wife had me return the laptop we bought her because Win8 was so frustrating.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 11:19:40 AM »
There is a third party application which does try to mimic the Windows 7 user interface.  Of course, Microsoft could easily break that application, if they chose to do so.

It does not solve the underlying problems with Windows 8, nor the functionality Microsoft removed from Windows 8.  I had hopes for Windows 8.1, but it appears to be a clumsy effort, at best.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline maus92

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 08:00:17 PM »
Win 8.1 not much better than the disaster that Win 8 is - unless you have a Surface tab which is fine.  After testing Win 8.1 preview, I devolved my box back to Win 7.
Callsign: nag

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 06:20:02 AM »
Considering Microsoft just took a $900M write down on approximately six million Surface units they cannot sell, I would call Windows 8 an all around failure.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 09:54:35 AM »
Considering Microsoft just took a $900M write down on approximately six million Surface units they cannot sell, I would call Windows 8 an all around failure.

Sweet, does this mean Surface will lower it's price point??   :devil   Of course I know it wont.... :rofl

Rules for them,then rules for everyone else!

:salute

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 01:19:22 PM »
The six million units are going into the shredder.  Microsoft said they need to update the Surface and will be releasing it again in the near future.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 06:15:56 PM »
The six million units are going into the shredder.  Microsoft said they need to update the Surface and will be releasing it again in the near future.

:O     What a waist.....  should send them somewhere they could be put to use!

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 02:43:01 AM »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 06:14:35 AM »

:O     What a waist.....  should send them somewhere they could be put to use!

That would have been fine, had they actually been useful.  :)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 07:05:09 AM »
i have win8, and it has truly been a nightmare.    what a POS.    i thought vista was bad....
-AoM-

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 01:05:32 PM »
I have a (computer illiterate) customer who uses a foot scanning program. The programmer doesn't yet support Windows 8, although their support people do their best with it, too.

Now, just a couple of days ago Win8 thought something was wrong and suggested a data saving reinstall thingy, whatever it might officially be called. So, the customer clicked OK, OK and OK several times after which she found out that Windows works fine but the program wouldn't start. After doing some research about what she might have done attempting to repair a blocked situation I noticed a saved Internet page on the desktop. Opened it and read: "The following applications have been removed during the latest update... " There was half a dozen items, among them Mozilla Firefox, Brother wireless printer and, you guessed it, the foot scanner. Fortunately only the program and its related services were removed, leaving the customer database intact. So we made an international call, opened the remote connection between here and there and let the guy reinstall and re-register the software. I have no idea how expensive service number calls abroad could be, but I certainly wouldn't make one from a coin operated phone booth.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 10:08:02 AM »
seems to be a common problem with current business practices through out the world.
shoot oneself in foot!
Companies seem to get stupid forcing markets and market shares. Sometimes you need to diversify, yes, not break your successful product.
Maybe if stock options were not part of a CEO's pay package...................... ..I digress.....................
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64