Author Topic: Is it time to adjust the difficulty in base capture?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: Is it time to adjust the difficulty in base capture?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 11:16:04 PM »
Knights couldn't capture a out house right now, much less a base!  :bhead
Lighten up Francis

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 12:32:24 AM »
I think hangar downtime should be longer. Especially since resupplying works better now.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 02:39:47 AM »
I love how this is a flight sim and we are so worried about killing buildings  :D
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 02:43:31 AM »
Maybe increasing the number of buildings in town that have to be destroyed?
Other options?

When the new towns came into play, they had to be taken completely down for capture,, I'm not sure how much of it has to be taken down now but if it was a higher percentage, it could slow down map rotation a bit!

Jeff

Really when will you guys ever learn the harder you make it the bigger the crowd that will show up to take the damn thing.
Leave it alone already.

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 03:56:54 AM »
I love how this is a flight sim and we are so worried about killing buildings  :D

It's what warplanes do...jabo and strategic level bombing.  Fighter planes exist to do or stop those activities :)
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 04:27:28 AM »
1 set of lancs,  2 passes on town = WF,

1 guy finishes the 4 outer edge guns that will be left after lanc pass.  He moves into Cap once job done.

1 guy has troops waiting outside of town.

any extra players provide aerial cap.      

Not 1 hangar dropped quick and effective capture with 3 players.  
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 04:29:09 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 05:22:11 AM »
If the idea is to stop maps changing so quickly then just up the requirement for how many fields have to be captured. IIRC currently you need 20% of each of the other two sides' bases while holding 90% of your own. This could be increased to 25% or 30% of the other sides' bases. Better still go with Fester's idea and make it variable, so big maps stay at 20% and small maps go to 30%.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 05:24:17 AM »
yes up the requirement on small maps.    :aok

+1
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 05:56:39 AM »
As Snailman and Lyric have both said, if you make it harder, the more planes will be brought to hammer town and take down bases.

I think (at least for me ) the issue is that 20 guys in P-51s or P-38s can kill a base and basically avoid any interceptor on the way to the base.  This creates poor gameplay IMO.  But whatever is done is typically just compensated by more planes. 

I'd rather see any ordnance over 500lbs perked for 1 perk base per anything that's not considered a bomber. Still might not stop, but it may cut down on big fighter destroy missions.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 06:18:16 AM »
It would be nice if the game could indicate where large masses of enemy planes are in a better way than the current darbar. So if there are more than lets say 10 planes within icon range of each other then the opposing sides would see a big red X at that spot anywhere on the map.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 06:23:27 AM »
I think hangar downtime should be longer. Especially since resupplying works better now.
I'm for this but in doing so would make bases easier to take IMO.

What about just requiring all hangers on the base to be down as well as the town? Seems like a simple solution to me   :headscratch:

In doing so it would slow up the attacking forces from launching from that base for the next base grab wouldn't it?

Those are just my thoughts on the subject. Personally I'm fine with the way things are now. I'd prefer to see more map rotations actually.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:33:14 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 06:25:39 AM »
I think (at least for me ) the issue is that 20 guys in P-51s or P-38s can kill a base and basically avoid any interceptor on the way to the base.  This creates poor gameplay IMO. 

:aok
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 07:04:00 AM »
Bases should be easier to take but the war win should require more bases taken.  More fights with possibly smaller hordes would be a good thing. 

What about just requiring all hangers on the base to be down as well as the town? Seems like a simple solution to me   :headscratch:

That is basically what we have now.  The usual tactic is all about suppressing the base (basically eliminating the fight) and then work on the town.  Lame steamrolling stuff. 

The fight should be away from the fields, IMO.  Move the towns out a bit and give multiple GV spawns to them.  Remove town ack and require 100% destruction for the white flag.  Then beef up base ack to keep vulchers at bay.  This way, the towns are where the fight is.  No ack coverage from the field, so defenders will have to come out and play if they want to keep it.  More base ack will let them actually do that.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 08:23:02 AM »
As Snailman and Lyric have both said, if you make it harder, the more planes will be brought to hammer town and take down bases.

I think (at least for me ) the issue is that 20 guys in P-51s or P-38s can kill a base and basically avoid any interceptor on the way to the base.  This creates poor gameplay IMO.  But whatever is done is typically just compensated by more planes. 

I'd rather see any ordnance over 500lbs perked for 1 perk base per anything that's not considered a bomber. Still might not stop, but it may cut down on big fighter destroy missions.
This is the problem I see. 1000lb eggs should be perked for fighters. Tired of watching helpless as 30 FIGHTERS come in to level a base.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 11:51:23 AM »
. Tired of watching helpless as 30 FIGHTERS come in to level a base.
+1

A greater percentage of bases might work as well to slow down map rotation

Towns go down very easy,,, 2 or 3 guys can take them with ease. I agree,,,, so bringing thirty fighters with bombs is overkill,, the only defense is resupply,, which is also easy to suppress by taking the vh at the supplying field ,,and not very combat orientated !  In other words without a greater ability to defend against base capture,, town takes are suppressing combat,, I still like to think the game is supposed to promote combat,, in order to do that, something needs to change in the ability to defend

Another idea might be to stop the ability to immediately resupply the town after capture in order to slow the enemy down by defending for at least a moment or two  and the other side the chance to counter attack for the retake!

By making town tougher to take,, IE  a bigger percentage,,you increase the amount of skill required to take it and or give defenders more time to respond! IMO

the best fights I remember are the ones in which the base was saved .. Captures come and go ,,but that time when a few of us defended the base and beat the horde,, those are the battles I remember.

I don't know what the answer is but I know it is no fun upping against overwhelming odds only to get ganged by 30 p-38's who also dropped all hangers so no fight would exist !  Maybe if the hangers didn't go down so easy?
Like I said I don't know!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:55:15 AM by WWhiskey »
Flying since tour 71.