Author Topic: Joystick Impact  (Read 3310 times)

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
Re: Joystick Impact
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 05:18:37 AM »
I know that a lot of players swear by them but THE WORST joystick I ever owned was a Saitek. Even worse than the suncom which is what I switched back to by the end of the first day. It was the x45 stick/throttle combo. I liked the throttle though, I kept it hooked up, within a year though the only thing still working on the throttle was the axis.

I have made the error of buying Saitek 45 too but as with Floob, the throttle is really nice.

Still use it with CH stick and pedals and as long as it works I will keep it.

Regarding the OP, I do think it is not so much the hardware and people not knowing what they do but do not underestimate how your hardware setup has an impact on your abilities.

Wrong settings can make a bad pilot worse.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. -Charles Bukowski
Gleams the blade,Shines my Honor
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 06:59:35 AM »
It isn't the Joystick that makes an expert in this game..
There have been some serious killers in this game who flew with a Keyboard..

I have a G940, mint condition works perfectly, but I play with Logi X3dpro twisty..
I've never been an Uber player, I just like to have fun in the game..

LOL, if it is working correctly, a cheap stick will do just fine..
I could have bought 12 X3d's for the Price of the 940, lol..

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 07:31:36 AM »
I flew for years with a mouse, and was pretty damn good with it.  I could load and unload G with such precision I was accused of cheating more than once, though the lack of easy rudder and throttle control were a bit of a drawback.  I now fly with a G-940 and love it - the FFB adds a lot.  I'm sorry Logitech discontinued it, it had a few teething issues, but was a solid product and a few tweaks would have made it unbeatable.  It cost about $200 new.

However it isn't the plane, it's the pilot.  Hardware is nice, and it helps, but it isn't skill.  When someone slices your La-7 out of the air with a Mosquito, it isn't because they've got a snazzier throttle than you.

Offline Golden Dragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 09:09:04 AM »
I've been playing with an old worn Microsoft Sidewinder.  I'm going to pick up a CH setup.  It will enhance the game for me having throttles in left hand and stick in right just like the real planes.  It will really be nice having all the buttons on the throttle quadrant to employ flaps and such while dogfighting instead of looking down at the keyboard for such commands only to look back at the monitor and wonder "where did he go?'  Having separate rudders will definitely be an improvement over trying to twist in rudder inputs while simultaneously working my lift vector.     
Fight's on!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 01:16:04 PM »
I've been playing with an old worn Microsoft Sidewinder.  I'm going to pick up a CH setup.  It will enhance the game for me having throttles in left hand and stick in right just like the real planes.  It will really be nice having all the buttons on the throttle quadrant to employ flaps and such while dogfighting instead of looking down at the keyboard for such commands only to look back at the monitor and wonder "where did he go?'  Having separate rudders will definitely be an improvement over trying to twist in rudder inputs while simultaneously working my lift vector.     

The sidewinder has more than enough buttons to map flaps, landing gear etc. or what do you use the buttons for?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2013, 01:53:03 PM »
Assuming the hardware is set up properly and is functioning properly, sticks do not make the pilot.
The different types all have similar guts. The joysticks either move potentiometers or hall effect sensors, both of which alter a voltage input to establish stick position. Pots wear out and is why some sticks get jittery as they age.

I believe the one variation you might find is the resolution, at which the ic controller reads the pot or sensor. I read somewhere that comercial grade sticks use 16 bit resolution. My homebrew stick uses 8 bit res.
I am going to change the controller chip so I can use hall effect sensors at 10 bit res. I expect no actual difference in game play. I hope the sensor will last longer than my current format, pots.

Joysticks can be like handling the opposite sex, its all in the wrist.
S
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 01:54:44 PM by MADe »
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Golden Dragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2013, 05:24:54 PM »
The sidewinder has more than enough buttons to map flaps, landing gear etc. or what do you use the buttons for?

I didn't know that I could assign functions to the sidewinder.  How do I do that? Specifically, I'd like to add flaps lower and raise and a button to cycle through stores.  View zoom in and out would also be useful.   I'm still getting ch stuff but this would be nice to have in the meantime.
Fight's on!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2013, 09:42:15 AM »
In game, open Clipboard, Options, Controllers, Map controllers or something like that, don't have AH on this rig...

Anyway, from the controller mapping system you can make the joystick buttons and axii do anything that can be done with the keyboard. You can also use more than one controller simultaneously. Even more than one joysticks if you find that comfortable.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Golden Dragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2013, 11:15:06 AM »
In game, open Clipboard, Options, Controllers, Map controllers or something like that, don't have AH on this rig...

Anyway, from the controller mapping system you can make the joystick buttons and axii do anything that can be done with the keyboard. You can also use more than one controller simultaneously. Even more than one joysticks if you find that comfortable.

Excellent gouge Bizman, thank you.  I'll have a few more sessions on the well worn Sidewinder then it will be time to hook up the new CH stuff enroute.
Fight's on!

Offline Golden Dragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2013, 11:21:25 AM »
I have some more questions.  As a firm believer and practitioner of KISS, am I right in understanding I can plug and play all the CH stuff without messing around with downloading the software from CH Products?  Also, is there really a big advantage to downloading the software and using it?  I have an IQ of about 10 when it comes to computers and all things related so I like to avoid unnecessary fooling around with them whenever possible.  Thanks.
Fight's on!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2013, 11:38:07 AM »
I forgot to mention to calibrate the throttle axis in AH... Too much typing and erasing, going back, editing in between...

For CH and other programmable brands, AH doesn't require their stuff. Just plug, map the functions, calibrate when applicable and play. Of course there's a "but": If you want to use macros you'd need the utility.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2013, 01:48:48 AM »
 I have used my CH USB system for the past five years. And before that my old CH analog system lasted until I removed it and installed the USB system. I don't fly near what I used too. But my old system was abused every day. And often several hours on every day off. The best way to improve your game is time in the seat. Which unfortunately I don't have a lot of.

Cost wise it's a great investment as game devices go. Around $300-400 for Fighter Stick, Pro pedals and pro throttle. You can go cheaper with a Combat stick for example, but I wouldn't scrimp on the throttle.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2013, 02:16:03 AM »
It might make a little difference. 

I've always used twisties but have always been limited by being left handed so need an ambidextorous stick.  I've mostly used a Sideinder 3D Pro, Saitek ST290 and Saitek AV8R.  No big difference between them except the Sidewinder was more durable.

What does make a difference is that my current AV8R is getting loose (sloppy) at center which makes it harder to align my shots compared to a new, tighter sprung stick.

It's still not bad enough to get me to move to the new, unused ST290 I have as a backup but it's bad enough that I occasionally notice it and have to account for it.

That said ACM, SA and practice make up 99.8% (no reference cited) of your ability to compete regardless of what you use as a controller.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2013, 02:44:01 AM »
I went from a 3d pro to X52 now I have the full CH setup.

The difference from the 3d pro and X52 was only the bounce in the movements so making shots were a bit harder but if you set up your shots right they shouldn't be that hard with or without the bounce.

Going from the X52 setup to full CH was the rudder pedals...the adjustment s may be a bit more precise but nothing noticeable in a fight.

I have a pretty good rig and still get my butt whooped constantly so yea gear doesn't effect ACM skills.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »
It might make a little difference. 

I've always used twisties but have always been limited by being left handed so need an ambidextorous stick.  I've mostly used a Sideinder 3D Pro, Saitek ST290 and Saitek AV8R.  No big difference between them except the Sidewinder was more durable.
Do you know that the T16000m is ambidextrous? It's shipped right handed but it's perfectly symmetric and comes with left hand replacement pads. The palm rest is turnable for lefties, too.

Kotisivuni