Author Topic: Joystick Impact  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
Joystick Impact
« on: July 22, 2013, 04:17:47 AM »
Lately i'm seeing threads lamenting the lost art of chivalry and the 'art' dogfighting :headscratch:

Don't you think that's tied to the current state of joysticks out right now in the market if you're not CH Warthog HOTAS+Throttle+Rudder+Track IR (will your waifu approve such indulgence with the CH pack I just mentioned?)

How can you dogfight properly if your Logitech or Saitek joysticks no more expensive than a Playstation or XBOX controller is hampering the way you fight with "Dont move your stick suddenly" text messages. 

I think majority of players here own 'cheap' joysticks while those who consider themseleves best of the best own boutique 'flight' controls that can cost nearly $1000.  There is no longer in-between like what the Microsoft Sidewinder used to occupy when it comes to combining high technology & durability in a attractive price ppoint.  Benjamin priced Microsoft Sidewinder a decade ago (bought mine used) was a great value.  If you can find them on ebay in really good condition grab them asap :joystick:

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Joystick Impact
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 04:25:50 AM »
I'd have to say no,

I can think of a ton of sticks that make me go  :O from a cheap and nasty twisty stick.   A lot of practice, patience and persistence have made them all dangerous opponents.   Find them in-game and ask them how they do it, what settings etc.  

The people who don't put the time in and cry cheat or hack need to accept that.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:33:45 AM »
Your joystick is broken if you keep getting "don't move your controls so rapidly". If your using a broken JS, your not gonna have a good day.

The average Hotas system cost around $150 not $1000. Less than you pay for a year of AH.

Their is no added input you get from a Hotas, or rudder pedals. You can't buy ACM.

People like to have a excuse for why they suck... Equipment is one of them.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 04:41:44 AM »
only stick Ive used has been the same 30 dollar Logitech, replaced several times but the same model.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:49:02 AM »
Elcheapo Logitech here as well.  I'm not an Air Warriors vet, but I'm guessing threads complaining about the lost art of honorable dogfighting have been around along time.  Its been the same since I started.

I can see that trackIR and a smooth set of controls with good buttons would be a plus, but I have plenty of fun with my cheapo and way too many other activities draining my fun budget. I don't get the "Don't move your controls..." message.  When I lose a fight against a good player I never feel its the joystick.  I didn't manage my E right, took too big of a risk, guessed wrong on his move,  had an SA fail, pushed my plane too far, or just plain didn't know or use ACM properly.
AMAX  in game

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:41:40 AM »
Your joystick is broken if you keep getting "don't move your controls so rapidly". If your using a broken JS, your not gonna have a good day.

The average Hotas system cost around $150 not $1000. Less than you pay for a year of AH.

Their is no added input you get from a Hotas, or rudder pedals. You can't buy ACM.

People like to have a excuse for why they suck... Equipment is one of them.
+1 It is not the stick, but the hand the stick is in !
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 11:48:44 AM »
It is most definitely not the joystick, but rather the way it's set up and used by the player. If the stick is in proper working order, there is absolutely no reason to ever see the "don't move your controls so rapidly", other than the player wielding said stick.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 11:50:52 AM »
I fly with a Logitech G940 with force feedback enabled.  I think it helps me ride the edge of a stall a little better, but I honestly have no idea if I would be better or worse with a non-FFB stick.  I would hope I'd adjust if this stick takes a dump on me.

Beyond the FFB, I can't see any advantage you could have with an expensive stick.  Getting comfortable with what you've got is probably way more important than having the most expensive.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 11:52:43 AM »
A properly functioning stick is a stick.  I do think the average person gets a major upgrade in capability when they get pedals as well as trackir though.  People who can get the same ability with a twisty are the exception not the rule.  Trackir allows you to keep better view of a bandit while riding the edge of blackout than hat views.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 04:57:38 PM »
Expensive doesn't mean good. I got a microsoft precision pro in the 90s. Since then I've bought several more expensive sticks, pedals and throttles and I always end up going back to my ms pre pro. It's 15 years old, doesn't spike, never needs calibrated and it only cost about thirty bucks. If it ever breaks I'll get a ch stick, never owned a ch stick but I've used them, they're very smooth and precise but they lack a rudder axis.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 05:17:50 PM »
you heathens. you must all now go out and buy CH gear thus thou art commanded in the name of true dweebery.  :D

I fly ch stick and pedals and the remnants of an x52 throttle because I like trim wheels and i want to upgrade from CH stick to TM warthog with its no deadzone and hal sensors... droool
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 07:32:08 PM »
I never miss an opportunity to brag on my Saitek ST290 Pro twisty stick. That thing is at least 10 years old and is only missing one button despite sustained abuse. I never upgraded to a higher caliber JS or bought into rudder pedals and TrackIR. I feel I'm on the verge of ending my gaming life in favor of putting funds into other hobbies. Then I take a break and find myself craving the action again.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline jeffdn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 08:18:17 PM »
A properly functioning stick is a stick.  I do think the average person gets a major upgrade in capability when they get pedals as well as trackir though.  People who can get the same ability with a twisty are the exception not the rule.  Trackir allows you to keep better view of a bandit while riding the edge of blackout than hat views.

Wiley.

Ever tried F11 mode? Look at the plane you want to follow with your head, hit tab until they are selected, then hit F11. Your hat switch views will still function properly but when not in use, your head will follow the enemy, through the bars of the cockpit even. It's pretty rad.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 08:23:24 PM »
The only time a controller will have a negative effect on your flying is if 1) it's malfunctioning or 2) improperly calibrated.  Yes, some of the higher end joysticks are more precise in their movements but it's not going to give one the edge in a fighter over someone with a lower-end controller.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 08:44:56 PM »
I'm not an Air Warriors vet, but I'm guessing threads complaining about the lost art of honorable dogfighting have been around along time.  Its been the same since I started

It's been the same since 1988.  :aok  I think it was great then and is great now, but all of the behaviors people complain about today have been around since the beginning at roughly the same prevalence.