Author Topic: Wondring  (Read 4834 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: Wondring
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2013, 03:36:28 PM »
Not just the players rejoicing, but the tissue companies too  :banana:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »
Quote from: titanic3
Uhmm no, you're talking about Bandar Desert, largest map in Battlefield's history. And it is nowhere as large as you make it out to be.

Edit: quick google search tells me it's 5 square kilometers. "Bandar Desert is the largest map in Battlefield history, being around five square kilometers large, approximately two and a half times the size of the large map Caspian Border. The map is also shown to have a seven flag variant of Conquest on PC."

Perhaps you're right, but this is what I've found: http://www.battlefield.com/uk/battlefield3/blog/inside-dice-building-our-biggest-battlefield-map-ever

It’s official: The biggest map yet
In Conquest Large, Bandar Desert is stretching as far as 1,900 meters from U.S. to Russian deployment...

That is little more then one mile! To be fair, the terrain would extend slightly beyond that for visual reasons but it's clearly unnecessary to extend beyond two miles and the terrain is probably only 2000 meters square.

I don't have a complaint with you specifically, or anyone else, but the comparisons between AH and other games are almost always exaggerated. Posters never quote accurate specs for any of the games, including AH, and it's become very annoying. Forty miles x forty-eight miles, really? That's laughable but typical.

Anyone can post screen shots, but these are three dimensional video games. I occasionally take screen shots of high res YouTube postings of competing games. What I see is about five miles of terrain before the fog/haze blurs the ground textures, that would be game controlled. Objects start being drawn about three miles away, similar to AH, but that's probably subject to the users graphics settings.

AH could do wonders if they flatten all the ground verts and hid them behind a blur at 5 miles or so, but that would eliminate mountains because mountains would kill suspension of disbelief when they pop into view. I don't think I'd want to play that kind of game.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 04:21:01 PM »
IMO, we really don't need 30K mountains...seems out of place anyways. Rolling hills and some valleys is all that's needed. Mountains doesn't serve any purpose in aiding a combat driven game, the drive away the fights and are unrealistic. Yes, they can be used to divert the action to certain areas, but the same can be done using other methods. Then again, all this is a pipe dream each time the topic comes up. We're not getting WarThunder style graphics anytime soon so why worry about it.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2013, 04:23:54 PM »
Agreed.  :)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2013, 04:32:08 PM »
IMO, we really don't need 30K mountains...seems out of place anyways. Rolling hills and some valleys is all that's needed. Mountains doesn't serve any purpose in aiding a combat driven game, the drive away the fights and are unrealistic. Yes, they can be used to divert the action to certain areas, but the same can be done using other methods. Then again, all this is a pipe dream each time the topic comes up. We're not getting WarThunder style graphics anytime soon so why worry about it.

So, you think my mountain comment means that I want 30k mountains?

I guess that means you want terrains that don't exceed 1000 feet above sea level, eh?  :P
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2013, 04:42:29 PM »
Old age =\= intelligence.

Similarly, your thirteenth birthday doesn't mean you transcend into a plane of higher consciousness.

You still seem to display intelligence of a (very) ignorant twelve year old.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2013, 04:54:31 PM »
So, you think my mountain comment means that I want 30k mountains?

I guess that means you want terrains that don't exceed 1000 feet above sea level, eh?  :P

No, but as far as I can tell, a lot of maps that have mountains are ridiculously high.

Similarly, your thirteenth birthday doesn't mean you transcend into a plane of higher consciousness.

You still seem to display intelligence of a (very) ignorant twelve year old.

Oh crap, I have an opinion on the internet. Get real son. At the end of the day, you're just some random bag that just happened to float on by.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2013, 05:37:46 PM »
Brooke is right, they look like paintings;

So good they're a piece of art.

To me, that looks unrealistic, and I don't prefer that style.

What does it look like up close to a cloud and flying close to the ground?

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2013, 05:47:04 PM »
No, but as far as I can tell, a lot of maps that have mountains are ridiculously high.

Hum, since you were responding to my post, to which of my many terrains are you referring.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2013, 05:48:30 PM »
like flying in a cloud, density varies as you fly through...no lines. the ground detail really good. land in tall grass and you will see the grass waving in the wind. want some screen shots?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2013, 06:13:20 PM »
AH has always been strongest in flight modelling and very well done plane performance research.(HiTech and Pyro)

Ah has the best in game integrated voice com system of any game ever. its simple usable and it works.(HiTech)

AH has the best of everything under the hood you could want from big arena 300+ players in one persitant battlefield with stable net code etc. (HiTech)

its competition has been strongest on graphics especially lighting and recently gameplay systems that are enjoyable and innovative and fun. (Oleg and the guys that he sold his il2 system to gajun)

AH fails at nearly nonexistant lighting and effects and clouds and framerates.

however AH has THE BEST and MOST ACCURATE 3d aircraft models (Superfly, Waffle), aircraft textures (greebo) and best usable and accurate cockpits (cockpit canopy bar thickness and windows you can see through without special defects and dirt is a big deal in making always on cockpits fun and friendly).

sadly AH terrain setup (player made mostly with HTC textures) and textures make me cry in agony knowing how many hours ive put into a terrain texture layout and compared to the competition... lets be honest. AH terrain is even with the best hand designed pattern is a blob of turds compared to what the other guys got. let me say that again. I spent hundreds of hours on my latest terrain and for AH I think it looks great for AH terrains but it makes me sad that I couldn't pack it with detail like the competition can.

it's competition fails at flight modelling (cough adverse yaw where? whatsitdat?) and individual plane performance research and modelling is pretty much done with blatant disregard for historical accuracy. (Oleg and the guys that he sold his il2 system to gajun)

cheers.

AH is a great game and has things no other game can even come close to duplicating.

it could do with a terrrain system upgrade in a big way though. (roads and town tile textures and more detail more resolution in mesh and texture etc)
the one color sky with no deeper darker blue above fading into light blue haze and wisp of clouds would be favorite to update.

one terrrain maker players opinion.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2013, 06:25:31 PM »
like flying in a cloud, density varies as you fly through...no lines. the ground detail really good. land in tall grass and you will see the grass waving in the wind. want some screen shots?

I might like that part better than the pics above.  I would be interested in some shots from close to clouds and close to ground flying if not too much trouble to see what that is like.  Thanks.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2013, 06:29:35 PM »
AH has always been strongest in flight modelling and very well done plane performance research.(HiTech and Pyro)

AH has the best of everything under the hood you could want from big arena 300+ players in one persitant battlefield (HiTech)

This, to me, is the most-important thing and vastly more important than graphics.

I agree completely with this, too:

however AH has THE BEST and MOST ACCURATE 3d aircraft models (Superfly, Waffle), aircraft textures (greebo) and best usable and accurate cockpits (cockpit canopy bar thickness and windows you can see through without special defects and dirt is a big deal in making always on cockpits fun and friendly).

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2013, 06:33:42 PM »
" ... best usable and accurate cockpits ... "

Would you venture to say that AHII players are as comfortable in their virtual cockpits after 2 weeks as real WWII pilots were in the real cockpits once they successfully completed advanced training? I'm tempted to.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2013, 06:46:36 PM »
To me, that looks unrealistic, and I don't prefer that style.

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho