Author Topic: Wondring  (Read 4856 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Wondring
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2013, 06:48:50 PM »
I don't know how it can be considered more realistic when the fires, hit sprites, and water all look terrible. Three of 6 things that we see the most in game. Planes/vehicles, sky, land, fire, hit sprites/weapon effects, and water. The gameplay is fine, it's near perfect actually. Everything else could use more work. Also all those nice terrains that are used in scenarios and SEA are not implemented in the MA.

Realism (in looks only -- it is clear to me that AH wins by a lot in realism of flight models) is a complicated mixture of things, and the relative importance of those things will vary person to person.  To me, some of these things in rough order of importance are, how the planes look, how the sky/clouds look, how the ground looks, how the water looks, how damage looks, how plane fires look, how building fires look, how ships look, how ship fires look, how cannon hits look, how MG hits look, how bomb explosions look, how buildings look, how vehicles look, etc.  This order depends mostly on how much I observe them or how noticeable they are to me when I am flying around in an airplane, fighting.  A bunch of the most-important ones are good in AH, in my opinion (planes, sky/clouds, ground depending on terrain, for example).

So, a game might have better plane fires but, to me, worse sky/clouds and so not be as good overall in how it looks to me.  To you, it might be a different ordering of importance.

I am not fond of unrealistically Hollywood effects and don't consider those an improvement, though.  I also don't like the painted look (seems to me like flying around in the movie What Dreams May Come).  

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2013, 06:49:52 PM »
" ... best usable and accurate cockpits ... "

Would you venture to say that AHII players are as comfortable in their virtual cockpits after 2 weeks as real WWII pilots were in the real cockpits once they successfully completed advanced training? I'm tempted to.

I would say AH with its saved view system has put itself in a category all its own in terms of being able to see around cockpit canopy obstructions which is a nice balance between no cockpits and full on cockpits with no saved views and it actually gives players a bit of a leg up in seeing around obstructions while still giving a sense of the cockpit being there but in reality the saved view system is an abstraction in a way but not nearly as abstract as no cockpit at all or external view.

I say this because I recently got track IR 5 and I love it.

but it occurred to me that when i turned off the x y z axis and allowed my saved views to move my virtual head around the cockpit  while turning my head to look around I was moving my head in unrealistic ways at speeds that would or could injure my neck. I prefer the X Y Z axis on with Track IR in spite of the slightly greater difficulty in seeing around said obstacles because I find it much more immersive and realistic and perhaps with more practice I will be able to peer around the obstacles with head movements at the speed I can with my snap saved views at the optimal angle.

this is not a gripe don't get me wrong.

just an observation that is derived from beginning to use a head tracking system and seeing that some viewing obstructions are a lot harder to look around without saved views.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2013, 06:56:39 PM »
images

Thanks.

Close to the clouds looks OK, about the same as AH close to and in clouds (with the new cloud system).  Farther away, they looked unrealistic to me.

Close to the ground looks sort of like close to the ground in AH near cities with more buildings (like below).  Water is a bit better than AH -- not too drastic, though.

Ground explosion and plane fire looks good.

Overall, though, I just don't like the painted look.

Also, I'm not sure if it's my particular color settings relative to yours, but the pics all have a greenish tint, like through a green filter.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2013, 09:46:29 AM »
Thanks.

Close to the clouds looks OK, about the same as AH close to and in clouds (with the new cloud system).  Farther away, they looked unrealistic to me.

Close to the ground looks sort of like close to the ground in AH near cities with more buildings (like below).  Water is a bit better than AH -- not too drastic, though.
hey Brooke, do these clouds look unrealistic?

compare closely to what Dolby posted. shape, density, etc...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2013, 02:10:18 PM »

They are OK, but in my opinion not better than AH.  The cockpit looks great.

The Dolby pics aren't horrible, but I don't like that it looks like it was painted by someone.  It puts me in mind of flying around in What Dreams May Come.  Also, everything has a greenish cast, but I don't know if that is a difference in graphics settings between his setup and mine.

Here are some pics where I think the clouds look realistic:

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2013, 02:12:46 PM »

The Dolby pics aren't horrible, but I don't like that it looks like it was painted by someone.  It puts me in mind of flying around in What Dreams May Come.  Also, everything has a greenish cast, but I don't know if that is a difference in graphics settings between his setup and mine.

Here are some pics where I think the clouds look realistic:

(Image removed from quote.)

Aye. They do.  :aok

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2013, 02:18:43 PM »
One big caveat to the above, though.  Those are all cloud setups that I did for scenarios under the old cloud system.  The new cloud system is very different.  My impression working with it so far is that enables more realism in some ways and less in others.  I still have to see what I think of it for making realistic-looking cloud setups (not just a cottony puffball here and there).

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »
:rofl   :lol  that's amazing Brooke, considering that is a real picture out the cockpit of a real airplane...i just found it on the internet. some guy at 13,000ft i think in australia, might want to check your graphics settings.  :rofl   :lol
jarhed  

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2013, 02:51:12 PM »
that's amazing Brooke, considering that is a real picture out the cockpit of a real airplane...i just found it on the internet. some guy at 13,000ft i think in australia, might want to check your graphics settings. 

I don't think so.

- oldman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2013, 02:55:32 PM »
The thing that gets me with AH clouds is they look good in screenshots like Brooke posted, they look good from a distance.  When you get into them, and see them in motion and soforth you start seeing the flat textures and it completely breaks the illusion.  The flat layers at alt look good until you get up close and see they have no thickness.

I've seen some decent use of clouds in AH.  Unfortunately apparently it kills a lot of peoples' frame rates.  That's a shame, as I really like the idea of weather in game.

Gyrene- Cockpit looks mighty pixelated and 'drawn' to me.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2013, 03:05:09 PM »
I don't think so.

- oldman
:neener:

how about these?

jarhed  

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2013, 03:05:40 PM »

This one is FSX though
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2013, 03:06:05 PM »
This one is FSX though
shhhh...  :lol
jarhed  

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2013, 03:07:40 PM »
shhhh...  :lol

Oh no, not this time

FSX!
 :D
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2013, 03:33:56 PM »
:rofl   :lol  that's amazing Brooke, considering that is a real picture out the cockpit of a real airplane...i just found it on the internet. some guy at 13,000ft i think in australia, might want to check your graphics settings.  :rofl   :lol

You may want to check your sources.  ;)

View Image Info: http://www.milosfsxflights.miloaviation.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/flying-at-18000-feet-.jpg

"G’day and welcome to milo’s fsx flights, a sub domain for miloaviation.com!  With this site I want to share all my flights that I do in Microsoft flight simulator X."

:D