Author Topic: Helicopters in WWII  (Read 3404 times)

Offline Eric19

• Nickel Member
Re: Helicopters in WWII
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 08:46:07 PM »
didn't the germans build the first heli with one engine and 2 spinning rotors I thought it was called something like the Dragonfly or something I can't remember but I saw it on wings of the Luftwaffe on the Military channel
Proud member of the 91ST BG (H) The Ragged Irregulars

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 12:09:22 AM »
Fi's aren't perked and we don't see them everywhere  :neener:

Just supps and smoke, maybe a 303 in the front (or back) to annoy tanks  :devil

Tinkles

<<S>>
If Fbcrabby is online you can bet you might see a mission of storches  :banana:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 01:41:24 PM »
If you had the ability to pick up another player (same with storch), that could be interesting and fun.

I can here the #1 - #10 fighter guys pleading on channel "pleeeeasse com pick me up so my K/D is not effected" (would have to rescore what a bail is worth).
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 01:49:36 PM »
I might find it amusing the one time I make such a pickup and auger on purpose on the way back to base.

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »
I might find it amusing the one time I make such a pickup and auger on purpose on the way back to base.

Ha ha .... that would be epic. The rant alone would probably be youtube worthy.
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 02:06:50 PM »
I'm with Arlo on this - there is operational but experimental, and operational and use in combat.  Helicopters were experimental mostly until Korea.  They saw minimal late war use but not actual operational use in large numbers where you had a SQUADRON of helicopters.

And then comes - what would you actually do with such small short range aircraft?  Mail drops? A box of 5 tank shells? Pick up a downed pilot?

No offense, it would be similar to adding rescue or messenger German Shepherd's. Kinda cool that they were used, but not a practical add for Aces High.

Just saying...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 02:16:41 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 02:15:37 PM »
They saw minimal late war use but not actual operational use in large numbers where you had a SQUADRON of helicopters.

Just saying...

The USAAF had an operational helicopter squadron during WW2.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 02:23:28 PM »
The USAAF had an operational helicopter squadron during WW2.

ack-ack
Yeah, saw the Wiki article and I'm having a hard time trying to source which USAAF squadron and with how many helicopters and what model.  I do know the Sikorsky R-4 was using in 1944 on a operational S&R role (Dorr, Robert. History in Blue, Air Force Times, 22 March 2004. )...but that was a single chopper and I can't seem to source the squadron that used them on a operational level like a P-51D.  I also have a bunch more R-4's used  on 6 re-supply ships with two each (12 in total) and were used to ferry aircraft parts.(Williams, Dr. James W. A History Of Army Aviation: From Its Beginnings To The War On Terror. Bloomington, IN: Iuniverse, 2005) - Wki has that one too. And I'm sure Wiki has more examples of their use in ferrying small items around or doing the odd rescue, but nothing like a squadron of 50 R-4's with lots of examples of their operational due day to day.  But I've asked for citation references on Wikipedia to verify the actual squadrons used and dates.

So, it's not a bad idea, just not a practical one.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 02:44:52 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »
Yeah, saw the Wiki article and I'm having a hard time trying to source which USAAF squadron and with how many helicopters and what model.  I do know the Sikorsky R-4 was using in 1944 on a operational S&R role (Dorr, Robert. History in Blue, Air Force Times, 22 March 2004. )...but that was a single chopper and I can't seem to source the squadron that used them on a operational level like a P-51D.  I also have a bunch more R-4's used  on 6 re-supply ships with two each (12 in total) and were used to ferry aircraft parts.(Williams, Dr. James W. A History Of Army Aviation: From Its Beginnings To The War On Terror. Bloomington, IN: Iuniverse, 2005) - Wki has that one too. And I'm sure Wiki has more examples of their use in ferrying small items around or doing the odd rescue, but nothing like a squadron of 50 R-4's with lots of examples of their operational due day to day.  But I've asked for citation references on Wikipedia to verify the actual squadrons used and dates.

So, it's not a bad idea, just not a practical one.

100 R-4s were produced (20 went to the USN, 45 to the UK and the remainder to the USAAF)
193 R-6s were produced (36 to the USN, 27 to the UK and remainder to the USAAF)

8 USAAF units flew the R-4 and R-6 during the war, the 10th Air Jungle Rescue Detachment (part of the 1st Air Commandos), 1st through 6th Aircraft Repair Units (Floating) and the 8th Emergency Rescue Squadron (attached to the 14th AF).  

Brief overview of the use of helicopters in China.
The Hoverfly in CBI

The 1st through 6th Aircraft Repair Units (Floating) operated in repair fleets like this one during Project Ivory Soap.
Top Secret Project Ivory Soap

ack-ack
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 07:37:47 PM by Ack-Ack »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
100 R-4s were produced (20 went to the USN, 45 to the UK and the remainder to the USAAF)
193 R-6s were produced (36 to the USN, 27 to the UK and remainder to the USAAF)

8 USAAF units flew the R-4 and R-6 during the war, the 10th Air Jungle Rescue Detachment (part of the 1st Air Commandos), 1st through 6th Aircraft Repair Units (Floating) and the 8th Emergency Rescue Squadron (attached to the 14th AF).  

Brief overview of the use of helicopters in China.
The Hoverfly in CBI

The 1st through 6th Aircraft Repair Units (Floating) operated in repair fleets like this one during Project Ivory Soap.
Top Secret Project Ivory Soap

ack-ack

Great source discussion but does this mean you see a practical role that warrants the time devoted to modeling them or modeling them before something else .... like multiple chutes from bailing bombers?   :D

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 08:06:57 PM »
Great source discussion but does this mean you see a practical role that warrants the time devoted to modeling them or modeling them before something else .... like multiple chutes from bailing bombers?   :D

I think it would be a waste to model them in game, just like I think it would be a waste to add multiple bailing parachutes to bailing bombers and adding gliders to the game. 

ack-ack

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 08:12:51 PM »
I think it would be a waste to model them in game, just like I think it would be a waste to add multiple bailing parachutes to bailing bombers and adding gliders to the game. 

ack-ack

Ok, just asking.  :aok

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 10:51:13 PM »

he already did.  we tried to sink a cv  :cry.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 11:22:48 PM »

Now that made me chuckle. With all those storchs taking off I can hear Flight of the Valkyries in the background.

:D :D :D
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2013, 04:22:41 AM »
Haha, it's because of doing stupid stuff like that is why the Rv-8 was permanently taken out of the main arena...
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...