Author Topic: American Mobile Artillery peice...  (Read 993 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: American Mobile Artillery peice...
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 08:21:10 AM »
Tank-ace you need to do some fact checking before you go into "crack-brained thinking" insult mode.
First off we are talking about 105mm gun OR the 155mm. I believe either one fires three rounds per minute at most but maybe the 105 is slightly faster. I suggest you ask for the 105. At that rate (3 rpm) it takes a full minute to equal one shot from an eight inch turret with three barrels. In that same time an M4 will have fourteen rounds down range. In two minutes the M4 will have the hangar dead and will be working on the second hangar. An M4 can kill five hangars (4xVH and 1xFH) in nine minutes. Actually, I have film of killing 2xManned acks 6xBarracks, 4xVH and 1xFH in nine minutes and four seconds.
Second, regardless of what Eric thinks the gun is only going to hit 11k, which is only 1k further than the M4 will shoot (and really the M4 will shoot that far, but in AH even if it does you will never see it. Also, the way things are the last time I checked, if someone is watching your round hit and they are further than 10k they will never see your rounds.
Third, the Priest will be just as easy to kill as an M18 (no top on the tank). If you want to discuss the towed artillery pieces then that's different. They die even easier.
Fourth, if you shell a base then stuff is going to explode. People will investigate what is causing it and then you're a hangar queen. Just like that.
Your 'considerable' experience in GVs doesn't hold a candle to me kid. You need to figure that out right now. You've had me pegged wrong ever since you showed up on this board and it makes you look really bad. Just saying.
Go back and see what I said about the TD's. I was right.
Now, if you think I can't provide film you have another thing coming. The problem is you missed it when I posted film previously. But, if you can't find it and still doubt my word then I suggest you look up Lyric online. I think everyone in the game considers lyric to be level individual that tells it like it is. He has not only sat right beside me while I flattened bases at 10k range, but he has brought me supplies and captured the fields I was shooting. Just ask him.
As to shelling bases flat. . . many, many Bishops witness this when I do it. Many of the really good tankers drop supplies for me because they like the results. I know you're curious and want to know how to do it but even if I post the film you won't figure it out. I can already determine that.
But, since you went into insult mode (again) you are back on my ignore list.

Other than your e-attitude you make some valid points and I agree with most of it.  I think much of what you've said has already been pointed out.

I maintain that that for arty to work in AH, A: it needs at least an 7000 yard range (gv spawn point to town or field); B: it needs to have the ability to nearly (or fully) destroy the standard 312 lb hardness OBJ (town buildings, ammo bunkers, etc) so that rules out anything under 105mm based on the current damage scales HTC has assigned; and C: it needs to have indirect fire mode capability just like the naval ships do.  From there, everything is of tertiary importance, imo.  

As far as which mobile artillery piece to add?  I say whichever gv HTC can model quickly enough with minimal effort to get in to the game.  Me thinks giving the M3 another role would be nice (it offers speed and is no less vulnerable than an M18).  In AH, both the Germans and US offer multiple chassis in which the 105mm (10.5cm) howitzer gun was used.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 12:02:30 PM »
First off we are talking about 105mm gun OR the 155mm. I believe either one fires three rounds per minute at most but maybe the 105 is slightly faster. I suggest you ask for the 105. At that rate (3 rpm) it takes a full minute to equal one shot from an eight inch turret with three barrels. In that same time an M4 will have fourteen rounds down range. In two minutes the M4 will have the hangar dead and will be working on the second hangar. An M4 can kill five hangars (4xVH and 1xFH) in nine minutes. Actually, I have film of killing 2xManned acks 6xBarracks, 4xVH and 1xFH in nine minutes and four seconds.

Yes, I guess if you take the weaker of the two options, the M4 does start to look a bit better. If HTC included a land gunner mode, it might even be a viable option. But without, drive time must be factored in for the M4, giving the advantage to the artillery.

Second, regardless of what Eric thinks the gun is only going to hit 11k, which is only 1k further than the M4 will shoot (and really the M4 will shoot that far, but in AH even if it does you will never see it. Also, the way things are the last time I checked, if someone is watching your round hit and they are further than 10k they will never see your rounds.

Yeah, I don't think the 105 is the real competitor to the M4.

Third, the Priest will be just as easy to kill as an M18 (no top on the tank). If you want to discuss the towed artillery pieces then that's different. They die even easier.
screw the Priest, let's talk about the pieces that will be useful in AH like the M12 and the Hummel.

Fourth, if you shell a base then stuff is going to explode. People will investigate what is causing it and then you're a hangar queen. Just like that.
Two things, and two things only could make a Hummel a hangar queen. Those being if HTC decides to either not give it land gunner mode, or if they perk it.

Your 'considerable' experience in GVs doesn't hold a candle to me kid. You need to figure that out right now. You've had me pegged wrong ever since you showed up on this board and it makes you look really bad. Just saying.
You don't seem to GV much, if your stats page is anything to go on. And I have yet to kill it be killed by you.

Now, if you think I can't provide film you have another thing coming. The problem is you missed it when I posted film previously. But, if you can't find it and still doubt my word then I suggest you look up Lyric online. I think everyone in the game considers lyric to be level individual that tells it like it is. He has not only sat right beside me while I flattened bases at 10k range, but he has brought me supplies and captured the fields I was shooting. Just ask him.
I'm not going to go digging through your posts searching for 1 specific video . Care to provide a time frame for this post? Or as I've said, a screen shot would do, and would take all of a few minutes to acquire, if you are to be believed.

Also I talked to Lyric last time we went through this. All he says is that you shell bases from more than 6K. He has not confirmed 10K, if you had a line of sight, how reliably you can do it, etc.

As to shelling bases flat. . . many, many Bishops witness this when I do it. Many of the really good tankers drop supplies for me because they like the results. I know you're curious and want to know how to do it but even if I post the film you won't figure it out. I can already determine that.
I have no interest in shooting at stuff that can't shoot back. Take a look at my GV damage stats; I've literally fired on town buildings twice since I've been back.

But, since you went into insult mode (again) you are back on my ignore list.

Now if only you would stop posting your drivel.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 04:42:30 PM »
Lol I called it. ^

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 06:06:12 PM »
Poor kid hasn't got a clue.

Learn to use the tools you have. The M4 can already do everything you want these others for. The only reason to ask for the M7 is scenarios.

Only little kiddies ask for the BFG.  :devil
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Eric19

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 08:36:26 PM »
if you can shell a base with out LOS Accurately please post a film or screenshot or something every time you fire the gun on the M4 it moves

and you still don't get it why people want artillery in here....... :facepalm:
Proud member of the 91ST BG (H) The Ragged Irregulars

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 02:46:28 AM »
Yeah Eric. Challenge has a reputation for posturing and bluster. Not sure if he really thinks he's all that, or if he had attention issues, but that's neither here nor there. But I don't think it's that he doesn't understand, but rather that he's being obtuse.

And you know he won't post a film, or even direct us to the one he allegedly posted earlier. Last time his reason was he didn't want people to figure out how (I think he was under the impression I wanted to avoid combat or some such rubbish). This time he says he already did, but won't tell us where to find it.

It's quite unfortunate for everyone, though. He'll just come to any artillery thread, and pretend to shoot his load all over the M4, so he can bring up his faux "skillz  :rock". But the end result is that we don't get to discuss artillery to its full merits.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:50:21 AM by Tank-Ace »
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 02:51:42 AM »
Eric, it's you that don't understand that you already have the best artillery you could ask for. Any new artillery piece you get is going to jump even worse. Learn to use what you have.

I checked out your influence in game 'Tank-Ace.' You're not all you think you are. Your anti-object influence is literally 1% of what mine is, and the majority of mine was done in one day shelling vehicle fields. If I had the time to play as I used to I would already have over 20 million damage points. If that's all I did I would hit more than 200 million every month.

Just saying. . .
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 03:03:26 AM »
Eric, it's you that don't understand that you already have the best artillery you could ask for. Any new artillery piece you get is going to jump even worse. Learn to use what you have.

I checked out your influence in game 'Tank-Ace.' You're not all you think you are. Your anti-object influence is literally 1% of what mine is, and the majority of mine was done in one day shelling vehicle fields. If I had the time to play as I used to I would already have over 20 million damage points. If that's all I did I would hit more than 200 million every month.

Just saying. . .

You don't seem to understand that I'm  PROUD of having a low damage influence. I pride myself on being a better tanker, not a better demolition expert. My score is earned by killing enemies, and my goal is to eventually hit the top 50 with kills alone.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 03:24:46 AM »
My score is earned by killing enemies, and my goal is to eventually hit the top 50 with kills alone.

If "with kills alone" means exactly that, i.e. without object damage... that's about impossible.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 03:39:00 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 04:47:58 AM »
Some mobile or towable artillary would be fun with land mode.  The M4 may be capable but its been in game quite awhile and whatever the key is to shelling accurately from extreme distance is, its not common knowledge, so it doesn't get used that way.  Most players know or can quickly be told how to jump in an 8" and use land mode. The player gets a set of sweet binoculars to spot hits when line of sight is available to target.

They would be easy targets for straffing or rockets, but so are a bunch of existing GVs or field gun positions and they get used a lot.  If they were just way too easy to spot and kill, remove the icon or the tracer and/or just have a muzzleflash/smoke when fired.

Bottom line is it would be new, interesting and something that fits, so thumbs up.
AMAX  in game

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 09:45:43 AM »
Some mobile or towable artillary would be fun with land mode.  The M4 may be capable but its been in game quite awhile and whatever the key is to shelling accurately from extreme distance is, its not common knowledge, so it doesn't get used that way.  Most players know or can quickly be told how to jump in an 8" and use land mode. The player gets a set of sweet binoculars to spot hits when line of sight is available to target.

They would be easy targets for straffing or rockets, but so are a bunch of existing GVs or field gun positions and they get used a lot.  If they were just way too easy to spot and kill, remove the icon or the tracer and/or just have a muzzleflash/smoke when fired.

Bottom line is it would be new, interesting and something that fits, so thumbs up.

Forget towed arty, it would be way too involved for what the desired goal is.  A simple 105mm mounted on a tank chassis would suffice.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 12:32:32 PM »
If "with kills alone" means exactly that, i.e. without object damage... that's about impossible.

Have base captures and structure damage become so important?

I remember I used to be able to get my score down to around 200 with only kills (and a few guns destroyed, as I did not love 17lbers), and while I was one of the better tankers, I certainly wasn't near the best.

is there a way to calculate what my KTD would have to be in GVs (along with total kills needed) to hit the top 50?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 12:49:04 PM »
Have base captures and structure damage become so important?

Not more important before. Actually we do have less base captures per player than we used to be.

is there a way to calculate what my KTD would have to be in GVs (along with total kills needed) to hit the top 50?
No K/D could do that at all. K/D 10, 100 or 1000, you only can end up #1 in that sub category. And we have 10 of them.

No amount of kills can offset the bad object damage related sub scores you will have when not doing any damage at all. It's a simple question of math: If you include base captures, 5 out of 10 GV scoring categories are based on object damage (actually hit% would be very much depending on it as well). So if you come out last in all those categories, you can't offset that even by being first in all other categories.

Just for fun I ran the numbers: Even if you har been ranked #1 in all non object damage categories in tour 160, including base captures (I'd like to see anybody pull that off for real), you would have ended up somewhere around vehicle rank 280-320 in that tour.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 01:04:51 PM by Lusche »

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 01:21:41 PM »
Hmmm....  Well I lack the knowhow or time to run the numbers for this tour right now, but assuming they are pretty similar, I'm not doing too badly.

Just checked and my score is 215 with only one base capture, and about 30 HE shells fired.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 01:29:34 PM »
Just checked and my score is 215 with only one base capture, and about 30 HE shells fired.

30 HE shells fired successfully at objects raise your rank in that sub category by the hundreds. Same as one base capture (because less than 20% of players had any)

All sub scores are basically following an exponential curve. And thus at the bottom of the barrel even small increase in 'success' (k/d, hit%, captures, whatever) will give you mighty leaps in rank, but the higher your sub rank gets, the more 'success' is required for even tiny gains in rank.

And your total GV rank is simply determined by the sum of your sub ranks. That's why you can't get to the top then half of your sub ranks have horrible scores. You have to do reasonable well in most (if not all of them) to get a 'good' total rank.