Author Topic: PBY and PBM  (Read 804 times)

Offline tuba515

• Copper Member
PBY and PBM
« on: August 01, 2013, 02:19:31 PM »
Im always hearing how people want them and i agree that they would be fun i mean they can do it all haha what do you think of the pby and pbm's in aces high? :airplane:
  I know this is kind of cheesey but cod world at war did a great mission with a pby
and i would love to have that aircraft in aces high

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYBPmyHieEk

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: PBY and PBM
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »
The PBY-5/5A were great aircraft, one of the planes I have a fondness for but in all honesty, at the current state of AH there is no real place for a PBY in game.  Anything the PBY would bring to the game can already be done by other planes currently in the planeset and do it better than the PBY.  The only thing the PBY-5/5A could do that other planes in AH wouldn't be able to do is land on water but that's a moot point since it would take a complete re-working of the water to make water take offs and landings possible.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 02:47:23 PM »
The PBY-5/5A were great aircraft, one of the planes I have a fondness for but in all honesty, at the current state of AH there is no real place for a PBY in game.  Anything the PBY would bring to the game can already be done by other planes currently in the planeset and do it better than the PBY.  The only thing the PBY-5/5A could do that other planes in AH wouldn't be able to do is land on water but that's a moot point since it would take a complete re-working of the water to make water take offs and landings possible.

ack-ack

code it like a pt?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »
code it like a pt?

TBM+LVTA2 more like.  ;)

Offline tuba515

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 03:10:04 PM »
I think that maybe the pt codeing could work?????    
and i think it would be a great bomber/cv hunter  if you could code it would be a nice adition to cv aircraft or even if you upped it from a land base it would be cool

3× .30 cal (7.62 mm) machine guns (two in nose turret, one in ventral hatch at tail)
2× .50 cal (12.7 mm) machine guns (one in each waist blister)
4,000 lb (1,814 kg) of bombs or depth charges; torpedo racks were also available
also note they did  sometimes have quad 50s in the nose also  

it would be fun and maybe be a scout like the storch is with icon ranges??????

Offline tuba515

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 03:17:44 PM »
and this was the armament of the pbm
Guns: 8 × .50 in (12.7 mm) M2 Browning machine guns (two each in nose, dorsal and tail turrets, one each in blisters amidships)
Bombs: 4,000 lb (1,800 kg) of bombs or depth charges or 2 ×torpedoes

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 04:13:50 PM »
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 07:14:57 PM »
I'd say before aircraft like the PBY, we should look at floatplanes like the OS2U and F1M. Have them launched from Ports and Task Groups, filling a role like the Storch does now.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 12:31:09 AM »
The A6M2-N Rufe. :D
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 02:36:57 AM »
The A6M2-N Rufe. :D

That would probably be the best choice as it would be quite useful as a port defender, though the floats would have a significant impact on performance.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 04:36:01 PM »
That would probably be the best choice as it would be quite useful as a port defender, though the floats would have a significant impact on performance.

ack-ack

Oh yeah.  It would be an "instant buff" to defense of the ports, and SOME kind of air is better than just the Fi we have now. :)  While a bit weak, the 20's on the A6M2 can't be taken too lightly. :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 07:30:02 PM »
Im always hearing how people want them and i agree that they would be fun i mean they can do it all haha what do you think of the pby and pbm's in aces high? :airplane:
  I know this is kind of cheesey but cod world at war did a great mission with a pby
and i would love to have that aircraft in aces high

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYBPmyHieEk
:airplane: Sign me up for this! Especially if you turned off the "icons" on these flying boats to give them a chance at staying alive. You don't see any "icons" on the CV group in todays game, so it could be done!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Schen

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 07:48:27 PM »
Couldn't a pby be used to fly in supplies for a carrier?  To accomplish this you would need to and and offload your supplies within a certain distance?

Incorporate a few other ideas i have seen. Half icon below 3000k and also increase gv range/ pt boat range as well. Would have a use. Would need to be coded so as to only supply ships not fields.
"Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder"
           Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker

---Committing scientific murder since tour 157---
                       :devil