Author Topic: What compression/resolution to post vids?  (Read 514 times)

Offline Ninthmessiah

• Copper Member
What compression/resolution to post vids?
« on: August 02, 2013, 11:01:20 PM »
I'm trying to post a vid on youtube, but it looks like total crap by the time it gets to the site.

From the film viewer what's the best resolution/compression combo?  Uncompressed doesn't work for me. A 20sec clip at full HD 1920x1080 is like 2 gigs.

I'm using Lightworks to do my editing and mix in the audio.  What compression format should I use when exporting?  DVCPRO100?  some matrox HD type?

and then from there I go to H.264 because that's what youtube wants.

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
Re: What compression/resolution to post vids?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 10:40:02 AM »
I work with Sony Vegas 10 so Im not sure sir, but 2 gigs for 20 secs is outrageous to be honest. My raw footage is very large hour or so of footage can be 50-90 gigs but once broken down to round 15 mins its close to a single gig.
I render all my stuff in 1080p as well and have never had a final render be that large save some of the hour or so long videos.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 03:35:24 PM »
Exporting from the film viewer will GOBBLE up space. Most folks use FRAPS or DXtory, or some similar capture software to record while playing back in the film viewer. This has the added benefit of compressing the video footage TONS compared to straight-up film viewer exporting.

Then we edit those clips from Fraps/DXtory/etc instead.

Offline F77

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
I have only just started doing AH films.  I use the AH Film Viewer and save using the Cinepak Codec by Radius at 1280x720 and 30fps.  I then import in to Sony Vegas Movie Studio 11 which I got cheap off Amazon (less then half the price of the official website).

Only issue is the lack of sound, so you have to add all the sound effects manually, which for my last one was quite a challenge and fun in itself.

I then save the movie as a 1280x720, 30fps mpeg-4, then upload to Youtube from my hard drive.  The only thing I had to figure out was stopping the movie "resampling" my clips, adding blur.  Once I sorted that it came out crystal clear.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 01:00:10 PM by F77 »

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 01:42:18 PM »
This blur your talking about Ive noticed that my films have this as well how did you get this "resampling" to stop? While its not a big thing it does make Icons blurred near the terrain but maybe thats from the way I do my films vs yours.
"No odds too great"

Offline F77

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 03:13:16 PM »
I think there's an option somewhere but I had to right hand click each clip, select properties and select "Disable resample".

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 03:18:15 PM »
ty sir Ill take a look at that.
"No odds too great"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 05:18:02 AM »
I'm trying to post a vid on youtube, but it looks like total crap by the time it gets to the site.

From the film viewer what's the best resolution/compression combo?  Uncompressed doesn't work for me. A 20sec clip at full HD 1920x1080 is like 2 gigs.

I'm using Lightworks to do my editing and mix in the audio.  What compression format should I use when exporting?  DVCPRO100?  some matrox HD type?

and then from there I go to H.264 because that's what youtube wants.

Lightworks is a newcomer and still has some growing to do. Premiere Elements might be a better choice, but because it is junior to Premiere Pro I don't know of any differences between the two. H.264 is a smart way to go. Premiere Pro has several youtube specific settings under the H.264 header for export. Avoid using any 'Frame Blending' or 'Frame Tweening,' which will only create blurriness in progressive video (they are used to blend interlaced into progressive).

I recommend avoiding MPEG of any type for youtube, because it is hit or miss at best. MP4 is probably the best format. A fifteen minute video should be from 3-400MB in general.

If you use AHFilm to export the video, then you might just play the same footage and record the audio with Audacity, or even Sound Recorder. You may have to make some changes in order to record "What You Hear," but that will save you from spending extra money.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.