Author Topic: NFL Hall of fame Art Donovan dies  (Read 127 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
NFL Hall of fame Art Donovan dies
« on: August 05, 2013, 01:02:10 AM »
Guy told great football stories if you never have. Read his book "Fatso"
Hillarious

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-08-04/art-donovan-dies-hall-of-fame-baltimore-colts-new-york-yanks-defensive-tackle

RIP AD
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: NFL Hall of fame Art Donovan dies
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:08:10 AM »
I never read his book but I do remember hearing stories about him.

It was a far different NFL. When I was a kid my dad managed and tended an Amvets bar. When the Packers came into town there would always be a bunch of them in the Amvets. They liked the pool table, the beer, and the fact that nobody bothered them. I know they were from GreenBay, and a corner joint with a pool table was the high life up there, but could you imagine NFL players today at an Amvets bar hanging out with the working stiffs?

I think I'll buy Artys book. Jerry Kramers "Instant Replay" is my favorited NFL book ever but I never read "Fatso".
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 07:56:29 PM »
I never read his book but I do remember hearing stories about him.

It was a far different NFL. When I was a kid my dad managed and tended an Amvets bar. When the Packers came into town there would always be a bunch of them in the Amvets. They liked the pool table, the beer, and the fact that nobody bothered them. I know they were from GreenBay, and a corner joint with a pool table was the high life up there, but could you imagine NFL players today at an Amvets bar hanging out with the working stiffs?

I think I'll buy Artys book. Jerry Kramers "Instant Replay" is my favorited NFL book ever but I never read "Fatso".

You will like it. We all know legends like Don Shula and Dan Reeves as being proper and clean cut. Fatso knew them back in their younger wilder days.
And yea. Far different NFL. Something he makes notes of. Like he mentions playing hurt He played with his leg broken. When he protested about being put in the game his coach told him to just go out and fall down in front of someone LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 08:07:32 PM »
I saw this this morning.  Bless you Art Donovan.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »
He did some great interviews with NFL Films.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.