Author Topic: Is it possible to bring AH graphics engine up to par?  (Read 9178 times)

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
Re: Is it possible to bring AH graphics engine up to par?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 01:41:56 PM »
War Thunder is pretty...and fun too to be honest.  But it won't replace AH for me anytime soon. Game play is way too limited.  I spend time on it...but I keep coming back to the legal, digital cocane that is AH.   :x

Would I like it if AH had better graphics?  Sure.  Do pretty graphics make a good game?  Nope. Don't believe me....then look at the number of people playing Mindcraft....great game play with (intentionally) bad graphics and it's super popular.  AH is similar to Mindcraft in my mind...great game play, dated graphical presentation.

Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 01:53:26 PM »
BTW - I'm not implying that AH has graphics anywhere nearly as dated as Mindcraft's....tho' a Aces High / Mindcraft combination might be fun!

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 02:26:13 PM »
BTW - I'm not implying that AH has graphics anywhere nearly as dated as Mindcraft's....tho' a Aces High / Mindcraft combination might be fun!
Highcraft?
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 02:43:27 PM »
Um....well....sure, why not!  Looks like it's already available!  I'm a genius!  :D

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 03:44:28 PM »
I liked how (up until somewhat recently when the new clouds were giving some players problems (I wasn't one of them)) HTC was adding a little more detail/eye-candy for the game almost every major patch in an attempt to make it better. 

I wish that path would continue, but there may be some stiff resistance ahead (IE the recent MA clouds). 

I hope the clouds to get turned back on eventualy, and then we get some better environmental shadows (off clouds and mountains/hills, and then maybe some better horrizons (no high-alt pixelation on the edges, some sunrises/sunsets/twilight), and then maybe some severe weather (IE: mini fronts that roll randomly thru a sector for ~40-minutes every 4-5 hours), and then etc... I like the slow and steady path, it's gradual and progressive, so if you have a pc/rig that is starting to reach its limits now, you have enough time to save up and upgrade your equipment.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 04:18:36 PM »
My wife plays the Laura Croft Tomb Raider games while I play AH.   The last Laura Croft game is pure violence.  The puzzle solving portion of the game as given way to super eye candy blood and guts gamer type play.  Is that the way we want AH to go?  i think not.  Eye candy is nifty stuff but it not the highest priority to me.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »
Um....well....sure, why not!  Looks like it's already available!  I'm a genius!  :D

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm in! Where do I apply for beta? :cheers:

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »
My wife plays the Laura Croft Tomb Raider games while I play AH.   The last Laura Croft game is pure violence.  The puzzle solving portion of the game as given way to super eye candy blood and guts gamer type play.  Is that the way we want AH to go?  i think not.  Eye candy is nifty stuff but it not the highest priority to me.
that's not what I want to hear. Was looking forward to playing this classic mind teasing game.

Your wife sound pretty badass tho :old:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 04:59:49 PM »
that's not what I want to hear. Was looking forward to playing this classic mind teasing game.

It's a great game, probably the 2nd best game (after Last of Us) released this year.  The only true blood and guts part are Lara Croft's death scenes, which can be a little gruesome if you have the sensabilities of a 12 year old girl or old lady. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ten60

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 05:12:44 PM »
I'm a genius!  :D
Highly doubtful...   :t
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %&# through a goose"

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 05:32:36 PM »
I guess the trick is to be able to run high end and low end graphics to suit the client base FE.

To some extent this can already be done.

But does a quantum leap in graphic capability really mean HTC ditch the old one? Why not let players run different graphic engines that suit their FE capabilities.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 07:20:28 PM »
Highly doubtful...   :t

Couldn't let me have one moment of wishful thinking, could ya Bunk.   Dream shattering bastage.....just crush them like an old beer can!!!!!!  :frown:

:cry
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 07:23:21 PM by Fulcrum »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 08:14:57 PM »
I dont know about you guys, must most games with "up to date" graphics just look painted.  but the funniest thing I get is that maybe it's just me but I dont look at the scenery, I look at other airplanes around me and they look pretty much up to date to me.

one thing I would love to see is perhaps better explosions or airplanes on fire.  those two things would be really cool.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 11:33:14 PM »
<snip> I dont look at the scenery, I look at other airplanes around me <snip>
semp

That's what I looked at when I was up there flying around and 'fighting' but I'll be narcotic-free in '14
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 11:45:55 PM »
It's a great game, probably the 2nd best game (after Last of Us) released this year.  The only true blood and guts part are Lara Croft's death scenes, which can be a little gruesome if you have the sensabilities of a 12 year old girl or old lady. 

ack-ack
sounds okay then. Been a fan since the ps1 days.
Any change in actual game play/mechanics as oppose to the ps2 games?
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle