Author Topic: Outboard Engine  (Read 653 times)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Outboard Engine
« on: August 05, 2013, 01:25:14 PM »
I have a 1990 15HP Johnson motor.  Worked fine a few weeks ago on the lake, but now it wont stay running in neutral unless I keep choking/un-coking the engine.  Can a bad gas mix cause this?  Are my carb jets gummed up?

Any advice is appreciated.  :aok

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Outboard Engine
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 02:31:14 PM »
 Does it stay running when in gear?

It's likely the carb,lowspeed idle jet could be gummed up. I'd do a carb rebuild especially if it's been sitting around for any length of time. You could have bad fuel but then it wouldn't run at all.

YMMV.

:salute

Offline Groth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 04:12:06 PM »
 Corn-gas gotcha.... you will need clean out carb(read re-build). That fine alcohol in the gas has allowed goop to collect in the carb passages while it sat for those weeks. Always empty tank, than run till carb empty. Carb cleaner in gas tank will-not fix it. I see this on pure gas if left for extended time.
JGroth

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:22:16 PM »
A carb rebuild kit and a new plug would probably do the trick.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »
Yeah I had a 15 hp Ev kicker for trolling and all those hours trolling at 2 mph would really gum it up. They sell some spray crap that you spray into the motor as you gun it. that and change plugs as well as run it hard on occasion should take care of the problem.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 09:56:57 PM »
agree with goth on this one, the good ol corn gas :lol  pull carb off, clean install. 

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 10:07:40 PM »
I assume you have to mix the 2 cycle oil in the gas?  If you mix it just a little too rich the engine wont idle properly, but then it makes a pretty effective smoke screen too.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 09:18:04 AM »
Man I'm happy we have gas like we do here...

My parents have an old lawnmover that's been sitting outside (summer +30c winter -30c) for over 3 years with E85 in the tank (10% ethanol) after they bought an electric lawnmover. Yesterday I pressed the primer 5 times and pulled the cord, started on first pull and runs nicely.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 12:09:58 PM »
And another Ripl(H)ey! look at me add nothing to the conversation response.   :bhead                                                     

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 12:29:12 PM »
And another Ripl(H)ey! look at me add nothing to the conversation response.   :bhead                                                     

I appreciate your very informative input on the subject of clogging carburetors.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »
I appreciate your very informative input on the subject of clogging carburetors.

E85..... hmmm open gas cap for about 2 hours,leave sit a day then try it..... made that mistake once! :furious

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 07:14:53 PM »
Thanks fellas.. going to get the carb kit and clean it out.  I will be running premium from here on out.  Engine runs OK under throttle in gear, but seems like it is dogging a bit.  Wont run worth a crap at idle unless its being choked on and off repeatedly.

Appreciate the educated responses, this forum is a great place to come for good answers from honest community members.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 11:04:53 PM »
Go to Napa and get a gallon of bat carb cleaner . Tell them you need to soak a carb and they will show you what to get . I got a carb setting in a gallon now off a lawn mower . Work's like a charm but you have to let it soak for 24 hour's .
EDIT: One more tip . Get you some sea foam gas treatment and keep it in all your small engine's and your boat's gas tank . You well never have any more trouble .
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:08:17 PM by Flench »
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 09:27:43 AM »
Just an update on this...

Corn gas DID get the best of me.  I took the carb and sprayed the crap out of it with a high pressure carb spray.  After doing that I got a fresh tank of gas with no ethanol.  Popped two new plugs in, hooked the garden hose up to it and it idles like a champ with the throttle all the way down.  Going to take it out this afternoon and check throttle response throughout all speeds. 

I do plan to grab a can of Seafoam on the way to the lake and run it in my gas from here on out.

Thanks again!  :aok

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 03:58:34 AM »
Seafoam is a life saver . I had to fix around 20 outboards just this year from bad gas . I got to get my shop built people keep bringing there motor's to me because no one else around here can fix them . 9 times out of 10 that's the problem . Then next would be the power pack . I know my sht on outboard motor's .
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:01:46 AM by Flench »
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!