Author Topic: Features for VR users  (Read 414 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Features for VR users
« on: August 05, 2013, 01:35:47 AM »
Dear HTCers, now that Rift's (among many other VR headsets) work with AH there are some tweaks that'd help us Rifters.

Radio text: is it possible to feed this into a 3d object like the clipboard, so we can move it around and hide/reveal at will
Radio Xmitter: the little box in the top right that tells us who is talking, it's in a low viz position for VR, could this be 'moveable'
Icons: appear to be rendered in a funny focal plane (i.e really close). Could we have an option for 3D icons or set a fixed rendering distance. Currently in VR they double up (I think because of the near or 2D focal plane)

cheers
Vulcan

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: Features for VR users
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 01:47:42 AM »
Hey Vulcan, what can you say about the resolution and the visuals compared to older headsets used for AH? Thanks for any input.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 05:39:03 PM »
Hey Vulcan, what can you say about the resolution and the visuals compared to older headsets used for AH? Thanks for any input.

The Oculus VR kit is not hi res, so you have to be a vr fanatic to go for the dev kit. The consumer version will be hi-res on release.

The big thing is the field of view, it's huge, so it really really feels like you're sitting in the cockpit.

In yesterdays FSO Nightmares were in Ju87's, I could spent all day in formation admiring HTC's models in Stereo 3D :)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 09:01:35 PM »
So how does Oculus work with TrackIR? Does it take its place, or would you still need TrackIR to change your views?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:07:11 AM »
So how does Oculus work with TrackIR? Does it take its place, or would you still need TrackIR to change your views?

Im interested to know as well.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 09:41:35 AM »

According to this article by someone who purchased one, it has a motion sensor for your head, and you move your head to move around in the game.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/07/a-new-world-right-in-front-of-your-face.html

Only problem I foresee is that if you need to perform keyboard strokes while in game you can't see the keyboard.

Best.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 10:58:41 AM »
I have an Oculus in the office and I wrote test code for it to integrate to AH. The head movement for it is very very smooth.

It is only a 3 axis device , so it does not let you move around structures like the track IR does.

The resolution is very bad. 640 x 720 per eye. Hence text and even icon ranges become difficult to read.

Not being able to see your joy stick and key board is a big draw back.

If they come out with a higher res, I may suport it. Also my implementation would work with track IR so translation head movement would come from track IR, and rotation from the Oculus.

HiTech

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »
I have an Oculus in the office and I wrote test code for it to integrate to AH. The head movement for it is very very smooth.

It is only a 3 axis device , so it does not let you move around structures like the track IR does.

The resolution is very bad. 640 x 720 per eye. Hence text and even icon ranges become difficult to read.

Not being able to see your joy stick and key board is a big draw back.

If they come out with a higher res, I may suport it. Also my implementation would work with track IR so translation head movement would come from track IR, and rotation from the Oculus.

HiTech

:x

Thanks for saying something about it, HT.  I was (and I'm sure many others were) curious if you guys had it in mind.

Hmp... had assumed it was 6DOF...  That's a shame.  Good though that you can use both.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11