Author Topic: P-51D screaming sound  (Read 3724 times)

Offline flakmgc

• Zinc Member
P-51D screaming sound
« on: August 16, 2013, 03:24:49 PM »
Does anybody have or can anyone make that screaming sound a pony makes when its fast? So intimidating.
~FLAK~

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
Re: P-51D screaming sound
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 03:43:32 PM »
Does anybody have or can anyone make that screaming sound a pony makes when its fast? So intimidating.

I could incorporate it in the external engine sound, but it just wouldn't be accurate. In my Merlin pack, the P51 folders have wind sounds that use this scream, albeit at a lower volume because it's heard from inside the cockpit.

That "scream" is the airframe cutting through the air along with a doppler effect. It's very much the same for any other aircraft; namely, the F4U Corsair has a characteristic "whistle" because of the inlets on the wings.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »
Actually it's airflow through the cooler duct, which is similar to a whistle in design (clean). I put my engine sound together with prop noise, wind sound, and the cooler flow, so I know it works. It will never act 100% like a P-51 in real life, but it is possible to get it very, very close.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline flakmgc

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:23:09 PM »
Fruda, I am trying to go to your links, but the pages " do not exist"?
~FLAK~

Offline flakmgc

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 07:36:18 PM »
nm, im just traded.
~FLAK~

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 12:24:11 AM »
Actually it's airflow through the cooler duct, which is similar to a whistle in design (clean). I put my engine sound together with prop noise, wind sound, and the cooler flow, so I know it works. It will never act 100% like a P-51 in real life, but it is possible to get it very, very close.
mind sending a pm of the file? :angel:
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 07:53:24 AM »
Well, it may not suit your tastes exactly. It has one sound from the cockpit, and another altogether from the ground. I made a custom film with the help of one of my squad mates, so that I could test these sounds out during the mixing process. The primary engine sound is recorded from the cockpit if possible (high ground-revs if not), then I add a recording of the aircraft flying at some distance, a foley version of prop noise, a little wind noise to help blend the mix with the actual wind noise in the game, and of course the cooler whine (as I call it). You would be surprised how many airplanes have this same effect.

Anyway, the mix levels you settle upon are subjective, meaning your tastes may not agree with mine. I chose this as the final version, because it sounds better from the cockpit than other choices I might have made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDC_BqagaMI

From the cockpit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYyupTHmADs
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 07:55:34 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 08:37:02 PM »
wow i really like that p51 exterior sound.. thats amazing could you post it so i could download it?
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 09:32:56 PM »
Craz all you have to do is record a B-flat note with a flute, then mix it with C#, and G and create two octave harmonics (one above and one below). Mix them all together and you have a cooler whine to mix with your engine sound.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 09:49:04 PM »
i left my flute over at my grammas but thanks for the info tho :headscratch:
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 02:59:15 PM »
Craz all you have to do is record a B-flat note with a flute, then mix it with C#, and G and create two octave harmonics (one above and one below). Mix them all together and you have a cooler whine to mix with your engine sound.

Mixing it with the engine sound is a bit much. Mixing it with the wind sound is preferable, at least for in-cockpit use. In AH, using your method may make fly by sounds more accurate, but that's about as far as it goes.

It's unfortunate that the game's sound engine is so limited. FSX makes much better use of sound packs that have all the proper parts, as it were.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 04:41:20 PM »
Sorry but you're wrong, because wind sounds are only heard by the pilot. From the ground, for instance, it really makes a difference but only if it is part of the engine sound.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 04:41:41 PM »

Really? Just post the file man.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 04:46:58 PM »
Sorry but you're wrong, because wind sounds are only heard by the pilot. From the ground, for instance, it really makes a difference but only if it is part of the engine sound.

If wind sounds are only heard by the pilot, why are you mixing wind effects with engine effects for external sounds? Also keep in mind that my mentioning mixing the whistle effect with the wind sound file was meant for in cockpit internal sound. Again, mixing the scream/whistle with the wind sound is preferable for that purpose, as I said before.

Bear in mind that the "scream" effect is only heard at speed; speed at which that wind rustling can be heard. If you were to run a P-51 (or Spitfire or any other aircraft equipped with a Rolls Royce Merlin) on the ground through its full power band, you would never once hear that wonderful scream, because that sound is caused by the airframe pushing against the atmosphere and the wind blowing through the intake.

Why do you think the Japanese dubbed the F4U Corsair "Whistling Death"? Oh yeah, never mind. You can only hear wind sounds from inside the cockpit. I think you mean the more rustling kind of effect one hears inside the cockpit.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 05:05:14 PM by Fruda »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 05:34:05 PM »
If wind sounds are only heard by the pilot, why are you mixing wind effects with engine effects for external sounds? Also keep in mind that my mentioning mixing the whistle effect with the wind sound file was meant for in cockpit internal sound. Again, mixing the scream/whistle with the wind sound is preferable for that purpose, as I said before.

Bear in mind that the "scream" effect is only heard at speed; speed at which that wind rustling can be heard. If you were to run a P-51 (or Spitfire or any other aircraft equipped with a Rolls Royce Merlin) on the ground through its full power band, you would never once hear that wonderful scream, because that sound is caused by the airframe pushing against the atmosphere and the wind blowing through the intake.

Why do you think the Japanese dubbed the F4U Corsair "Whistling Death"? Oh yeah, never mind. You can only hear wind sounds from inside the cockpit. I think you mean the more rustling kind of effect one hears inside the cockpit.

Fruda, you just answered your own question and you obviously have not played with this at all. You can actually build a sound that is not heard at low speed, but that builds up in intensity and is heard at higher speeds. Wind sounds are a different intensity when mixed with the engine sound. They are not the same wind sound as heard from a canopy position. Wind sounds mixed with the engine sound are the same sound you would hear from an airframe passing through air if the engine were off. From the cockpit you (more precisely a microphone can record) actually can hear the sound of air passing through the oil cooler, or radiator ducts. Usually the engine covers it up from your perspective inside, which is why my P51 cockpit sound does not make that sound audible from the cockpit, but does from the ground perspective.

The Japanese never called the F4U whistling death. It is a myth that was perpetuated by the marines in the war. Just ask yourself which Japanese the Marines interrogated in order to get that information?

@perdue3: I have already made my position on that well known. You can hear my sounds in films I post to youtube.