Author Topic: Yet another thread about Radar :)  (Read 2124 times)

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Yet another thread about Radar :)
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2001, 07:24:00 AM »
I see both of your points, Lepth and SW.

That is why from the start I've been proposing to limit radar range to 2 sectors. If we have to give up dar bar for dot dar, then so be it. Ground controllers gave directions to planes, no sectors.

I'd much rather see no dar at all but if we have to deal with it on, better to limit its range. Either we do this or dont expect any pilot to fly a Ju88 in an organized mission. And I would think that the same goes for the B26s.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2001, 07:36:00 AM »
Howabout NOT binding the 1-2 sectors of radar bar to any tower or base... bind it to players position!!!

Would it not make sense that the air controllers provide only relevant information. They would not tell you that there are enemies in Scotland when you are defending London.

This way some sneak attacks could be possible. Some decoys would draw the defenders in one place and others would attack elsewhere a bit later. Airborne defenders could not see the enemies on dar far away and they could be informed of a larger strategic change only by other players in that other area, or by any player who is in tower.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2001, 07:54:00 AM »
I think sneak attacks are possible now, you just have to stay under 500 ft.

There are barely enough ppl in the CA arena now to make it playable, monkey with the dar and I think this room would be a ghost town..

popeye, you and a chosen other few, may get enjoyment sitting in a tower and calling out vectors, but I don't think the majority would call that fun...real, maybe, fun after about 10 minutes ? - not I.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2001, 07:55:00 AM »
Dot dar in-tower only would be a good addition to the Combat Theatre IMHO.

Nothing on your radar screen would better simulate the information given to you in WWII than a human being either on voice comms or typing in the text bar. Sorry guys, but each individual fighter just didn't have it's own radar scope in WWII.

I'm not saying "I want this now!", but it would be cool if HT could get around to it sometime in the not-so-distant future.

BTW, Lephturn, SW, Do you guys fly in the Combat Theatre? I haven't seen you in there yet.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2001, 08:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler:
popeye, you and a chosen other few, may get enjoyment sitting in a tower and calling out vectors, but I don't think the majority would call that fun...real, maybe, fun after about 10 minutes ? - not I.

I flew the warbirds Historical Arena, and yes, most all pilots vectored the fighters when they were in the tower. I know this seems unimaginable to some of you, but it simply is a fact.

As far as the numbers. An HA isn't going to be as popular as a main arena. It's just thataway, we must make it possible for us more superior pilots to have more fun.

;)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2001, 08:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by hblair:
BTW, Lephturn, SW, Do you guys fly in the Combat Theatre? I haven't seen you in there yet.

I flew it last week, the first night it came up.

I got 4 kills in a 109G2, Two Temps, 1 Typh and 1 SpitIX in a dogfight about 30 miles away from my base. In-flight Bar radar got me to the fight- otherwise I never would of found it.

I haven't flown since because... well... there's not been more than 6 people in there when I've been online.
-SW

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2001, 08:08:00 AM »
THere were about 25 in there when I logged in. What time do you fly?

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2001, 08:11:00 AM »
Total of 3 hours, 48 minutes this month. 1 hour last week, went into CT after that and flew for 2 hours when the CT first came up.

Last night flew from 7:30PM EST until 10:00PM EST... not more than 6 lost souls in the CT between those times.
-SW

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2001, 08:36:00 AM »
hmmm, there were about 25 in there less than one hour after you logged off.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2001, 08:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by SWulfe:
Total of 3 hours, 48 minutes this month. 1 hour last week, went into CT after that and flew for 2 hours when the CT first came up.

Last night flew from 7:30PM EST until 10:00PM EST... not more than 6 lost souls in the CT between those times.
-SW

and Fester kept killin us all with his icons turned off  :)
 it's a great room, just need mo targets to distract the enemies so I have 1/2 a chance..

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2001, 08:44:00 AM »
well talking the hours I use to be in (Around 11pm-1am spanish hour) the normal numbers are between 24 and 12.

At the moment we did our (crushed   :D) bomber mission we were 21 in the arena.

I dont know how is later, tho, I rarely log on after 1.30 AM my hour. But at the hours I fly, there is a pretty good presence of ppl in the CT. And I love it   :)

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: R4M ]

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2001, 09:39:00 AM »
Some may think that sitting in the tower for a minute or two between flights reporting enemy position to country mates to be terribly boring.  I don't.  However, I do find stooging around looking for a fight, and chasing after dots that turn out to be friendly, terribly boring.

The reasons I suggest dot dar in the tower are:

The information that dot dar provides is more historically accurate than bar dar only.

It would make the CT more fun for those who would rather fight than search for a fight, bringing more people to the CT.

Limiting the dot dar to the tower only, would eliminate "dot SA".

Radar towers would become very valuable strat targets.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2001, 09:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by popeye:
Some may think that sitting in the tower for a minute or two between flights reporting enemy position to country mates to be terribly boring.  I don't.  However, I do find stooging around looking for a fight, and chasing after dots that turn out to be friendly, terribly boring.

The reasons I suggest dot dar in the tower are:

The information that dot dar provides is more historically accurate than bar dar only.

It would make the CT more fun for those who would rather fight than search for a fight, bringing more people to the CT.

Limiting the dot dar to the tower only, would eliminate "dot SA".

Radar towers would become very valuable strat targets.

come on popeye, we know you'd have ur lap fired up with ur 2nd account viewing the dots all the time  :)

Seriously, after giving it some thought, it doesn't sound like a bad idea. If it brings more targets, err ppl into CA, I'm for it.

I tried "friendly icons only" last night for a while. With Fester blowing me to pieces with his plane on this setting, I decided to give it a go. I think this would be an interesting alternative too.

What would it take to have these settings on a rotational basis? Every couple of days they switch for variety, announced here on the BBS and then in the splash banner when you sign on...

Offline buhdman

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2001, 10:23:00 AM »
I agree with popeye.  I love to fly and fight, but sometimes I like to sit in the tower and direct fighters to intercepts bandits.  I know I'm not alone in this, either.  Back in the old WB HA, I did this a lot and noticed quite a few others pitching in to fill the gaps.

But I think even with in-flight DAR Bars and ground-only radar dots we could accomplish the same thing.  Knowing something's in a grid is one thing, having someone tell you a flight of 4 is at your 4 o'clock, 5 miles away, at 15K (if we only had alt, too), and closing is quite another.

Just my two-cents worth  ;)

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2001, 11:08:00 AM »
Well, there is a online community that absolutely loves to sit and watch radar terminals.  The SATCO orginzation is about as robust as any sim group I know of.  My guess is that people, many of them, would relish the concept of directing air combat.  Perhaps if the idea were floated to them, AH would get more subscribers.
Just a humble opinion.

:D