Author Topic: Old school....  (Read 336 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Old school....
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:27:05 PM »
I'm having a discussion with a younger Engineer at the office. He's a very nice guy, about 37 years old. Worked for Grumman for 10 years on the E2 program. Smart, capable....

He's into Sporting Clays, Skeet and Trap. He has an expensive collection of over/under shotguns.

For me, I prefer an old fashioned external hammers 12 ga. side-by side. I also have a Stoeger Coach Gun, with 20 inch barrels. These, along with my 1975 Remington and 1892 Winchester, are my SASS guns.

My friend didn't understand what the short barreled side-by-sides have over his over/under sporting guns...

"One word...", I told him. "Intimidation".

I have other shotguns, but none are as frightening as staring down a short barrel side-by-side.....
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
Re: Old school....
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:01 PM »
Mr. Widewing I would like to know more about SASS, Im wanting to shoot a pair of 1860 Armies how does that work is it the same as the standard cartridge shooters?
Nothing finer than a good wheelgun, my other is a Smith 1917. Im not sure what Id want to shoot in the rifle area but for my shotgun Id love to get one of the 1887s.
any and all info would be great. :D
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 10:48:33 PM »
Mr. Widewing I would like to know more about SASS, Im wanting to shoot a pair of 1860 Armies how does that work is it the same as the standard cartridge shooters?
Nothing finer than a good wheelgun, my other is a Smith 1917. Im not sure what Id want to shoot in the rifle area but for my shotgun Id love to get one of the 1887s.
any and all info would be great. :D

Here's a link to the SASS Shooter's Handbook. It will cover everything you will want to know.

http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/SASSHandbook-v18.2-2012Highlighted.pdf

Here's a link the SASS website...

http://www.sassnet.com/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:00:34 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 08:29:51 AM »
Almost time for the big Round up, contestants are lining up right now..

Good luck all..

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 09:05:50 AM »
Anyone here attending the charity clay shoot for the Ronald McDonald House Charity in Dover Plains, New York next month?

Let me know if so.  I will be shooting on the Chairman's team.  Be great to see some AHers there.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 12:35:12 PM »
Have a 12ga side by side twin hammers and triggers in the family.  My father has it at a gunsmith as it has not been cared for properly.

When my father was a child in Braggadocio MO, he was in the garage picking off crows through a window.  He accidently blew both barrels off at the same time and was thrown backwards onto a board that had nails sticking up out of it.  He is now 71 years old now and still has several scars on his back that are each about 3+ inches long (showing how far he slid on the nails) hehehhe.  It does have quite a kick on it.  I was always scared to fire that weapon as a child because of the story and just knowing that that bruiser is gonna smack my shoulder hard.
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.