Author Topic: Going to take a stab at teaching ACM  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Going to take a stab at teaching ACM
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 11:21:46 AM »
Latrobe, you might try using the film in the "Fixed" view with the trails turned on to show flight paths.  Might be easier and it would allow you to divide up the flight into sections.  Are maybe some combination of external, internal and fixed and just avoid the head postion-view issue.

By the way I think yesterday was national banana split in Latrobe PA.

I will put in a wish to be able to attach Film files to post.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 04:36:41 PM »
OK, heres the head position file for the p51d. Drop this into your settings/planes folder. Rename your older one so it doesn't over write your settings.

http://www.speedyshare.com/u7WMp/p51d.hps

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 05:04:03 PM »
Thanks Fugi! Now I can start planning how this will all work.

I don't need to rename my older ones because I use TrackIR  :devil  :P           :salute :cheers:

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 05:04:51 PM »
One thing regarding head positions is that having them enabled isn't always the best depending on the pilot and their style.

When I get into a fight, trackIR gets flicked off immediately, as I'm far faster and more accurate with where I want to look with the hat I've been using since they invented hats back in the 286 era.

Also, some pilots, myself included, can use the hat view system extremely rapidly.  I often am looking 2 times per second upon reviewing my films, and I'm so used to checking 6 quickly while in a fight with another contact, or even just keeping tabs on that one contact during hard maneuvering - even for me it's hard to follow, and I was the one doing it.

So, if you put up some training videos, please bear that in mind, and maybe put up both options, with and without head positions if you're using an outside film viewer of some sort.

Can't wait for some of these, yay!

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 12:09:33 AM »
One thing regarding head positions is that having them enabled isn't always the best depending on the pilot and their style.

When I get into a fight, trackIR gets flicked off immediately, as I'm far faster and more accurate with where I want to look with the hat I've been using since they invented hats back in the 286 era.

Also, some pilots, myself included, can use the hat view system extremely rapidly.  I often am looking 2 times per second upon reviewing my films, and I'm so used to checking 6 quickly while in a fight with another contact, or even just keeping tabs on that one contact during hard maneuvering - even for me it's hard to follow, and I was the one doing it.

So, if you put up some training videos, please bear that in mind, and maybe put up both options, with and without head positions if you're using an outside film viewer of some sort.

Can't wait for some of these, yay!
Only problem with this is the hat does after 6 years :furious
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 12:29:20 AM »
In your case it would be 1 vs trees

Ohhhhhhh boy aren't you a piece of work..... lol  :eek:
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 01:57:38 AM »
good luck with teaching ACM latrobe,

you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink!    :old:

there are some really good players out there that not only have the understanding of advanced ACM but the ability to cut it down, analyse key parts of it and then explain what the pilot is doing wrong and where.  

Without that level of teaching it is more just follow what I do than learning.  The film viewer is the best place to start or 1000 fights in a custom room.

oops I forgot point C) none of the above,

send player A nasty Pm's and hack allegations claiming impossibilities because he just killed you with ease.   :t
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 02:01:07 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2013, 01:59:47 AM »
Ohhhhhhh boy aren't you a piece of work..... lol  :eek:

:D
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 02:05:39 AM »
Be careful with the films. You can fall into a trap by knowing the outcome of the fight.  Some times you lose even if don't make a mistake.  Focus at the moment ignoring the outcome. For example,  sometimes you just guessed wrong or just missed a shot that you gave a everything for. If you hit it you win. If not, you die.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »
Be careful with the films. You can fall into a trap by knowing the outcome of the fight.  Some times you lose even if don't make a mistake.  Focus at the moment ignoring the outcome. For example,  sometimes you just guessed wrong or just missed a shot that you gave a everything for. If you hit it you win. If not, you die.

It's all in HOW you look at the films. You lose a fight because either you made a mistake, of the other guy had that little bit better control of his plane than you did. I fly most Saturdays for hours and film most every flight. Sunday I go through all of those films looking for what I did wrong, or what the other guy did right. The idea is to be objective. Knowing the out come isn't a big deal spotting the problem, or they better moves no matter which "pilot" made them.

In the case of the film I posted I get kills.... and killed  :D but while I did fly ok in the fights I know I could have been better. The problem is I don't know where I could have done WHAT different to move the fight along better. This is where someone else who knows more fights can possible spot something I can't see. Again, another objective observer.

Films are for training, not entertainment.

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2013, 10:49:30 AM »
In my dropbox I have all the films I saved from the past year from when I started playing the game.

2 gigs worth of film at your disposal if you want to review them, use them or any part of them in your videos or instruction please feel free sir.  :salute

https://www.dropbox.com/home

Password: 9fukinhackesr1

If anyone on here would like to view the films you can do so as well Please DO NOT delete any of them.

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 01:03:29 PM »
Man, this is awesome Latrobe!

I've been trying to get some others to do this but no one was interested for various reasons. I've been in  education (teaching) my entire life and believe this is what is lacking in Aces High. The best way to teach something is to let a student try and then show them what/where they did wrong or just did not do. I want to get better and I think you are on the right track to teaching this game correctly.

I will copy my video or videos but how can I get them to you? I could send via an email addy.  Is that OK?

KimoSabe :x :x :x

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 01:51:32 PM »
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2013, 03:37:51 PM »
If any of you guys want me to review your films, send them to LatrobeAH2@gmail.com (click the email button below my name  ;) ).

If you're sending me an AHFilm then please send your head position file for the plane your were flying as well. (Found in your AH2 folder>settings>planes) This way I can set up my film viewer to show your head positions and I can get a better idea of your SA.

If you're sending it in .avi, mpeg, or any other format from FRAPS or other recording software, then the head position file won't be necessary.

The only films I will not be able to review are ahfilms if you use TrackIR or something like it since the films don't record you head movements. If you use TrackIR you will need to record with FRAPS or some other recording software, sorry  :(

Don't send a whole bunch of films just yet, I'm still working on how this will work with Fugi's film. Once I get his done and if all goes well then I'll start doing more.

:salute

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2013, 08:47:33 PM »
My bad man :cheers:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle