Author Topic: Anyone tested 190F8 vs the A8 damage model ?  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Re: Anyone tested 190F8 vs the A8 damage model ?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »
Guys, this is blasphemy, asking for more/further development of the 190 series (even just the A, F and G) gets a lot of other players feathers ruffled.

I mean, it would make sense to most of us twittlers (it really does if you look at the history and production runs of the aircraft), but it's a complicated issue.

"We need more 190s"
-"You have five of them already"

"We ned better 190s"
-"You have the best - the 152"

/sarcasm off

Would be awesome to have a handful of 190F and 190G series modeled someday, and I think there is enough interest in the AH playerbase to justify expanding the 190A series with at least one if not two more models.  Anything else is asking for late-war beasts that were actualy rare (but used).  Of cource we want those (D-13, yay baby!), but I would love to just focus of the radial 190s first (maybe even an A-9  :pray ).
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 04:56:49 PM »
It could have. The 110G, could be packing around 4k in bombs by simply changing out the type of hard points on the wing. Hell, even that might not be necessary, depending on what type of rack was used to hold the drop tank. If its a universal model, the 110G was fully capable of carrying 2200kg of bombs with no modifications to the structure. Drop in the Mk 103's firing AP rounds, and you've got what might have been the most potent ground attack platform of WWII.

Could it have been a better fighter than the mossie? Probably not without significant redesign. Could it have been more versatile? Probably.

Where would you mount the 103's they wont fit into the gunbay on the 110 and even if you could mount them you'd be limited in the amount of ammo for them,60 to 100 rounds.

Trying to compare the 110 to the mossie is like comparing a house cat to a bobcat,ya they're both cats but that's about it.

Your pro German stance just doesn't allow you to see the forest for the trees.

If the 110 could have been even close to the mossie then Goring would never have asked for his own mossie...... :rolleyes:

:salute

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 09:31:56 PM »

If the 110 could have been even close to the mossie then Goring would never have asked for his own mossie...... :rolleyes:

This is nothing new. Wasn't there someone who asked for a squadron of Spitfires?
JG 52

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 02:13:00 AM »
And weren't there even more people who took that request out of its context and made it to mean something it didn't mean?

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 02:47:41 AM »

Where would you mount the 103's they wont fit into the gunbay on the 110 and even if you could mount them you'd be limited in the amount of ammo for them,60 to 100 rounds.

Trying to compare the 110 to the mossie is like comparing a house cat to a bobcat,ya they're both cats but that's about it.

103's would have gone in a gunpod, similar to the 4x 20mm option.

The 110 could have done a lot more in terms of ground attack than the mossie, had research been put into it. But it looks like they just shoved it aside for the most part after 1942, which is not the case with the mossie.

Sure the mossie would have been a better fighter and bomber (internal bomb bay), but not THAT much better as a fighter. Even now the 110G isn't a terrible match for the mossie.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 09:20:18 AM »

The 110 could have done a lot more in terms of ground attack than the mossie, had research been put into it. But it looks like they just shoved it aside for the most part after 1942, which is not the case with the mossie.

Sure the mossie would have been a better fighter and bomber (internal bomb bay), but not THAT much better as a fighter. Even now the 110G isn't a terrible match for the mossie.

Here's the problem, with every war or battle comes Research and development (R&D) - it takes time to do this, especially when you have dozens of different things you are researching. If you look into the case of the Tiger tank, when the Germans invaded Russia they realized their tanks were heavily inferior to the Russian tanks, R&D shifted in tank research to designing something to combat this and it took almost a year for the tank to be researched and developed. Its possible the Me-110 could of been upgraded, but honestly if they shifted R&D into the Me-210 its most likely the 110 was already at its very limits of improvements.

The Me-110g was a stop gap because frankly the 210 was a total blunder, the luftwaffe needed something in the air rather then nothing. I don't think even if they would of continued to upgade the Me-110 it would of been any better then the G-2. Problem is the airframe only has so many limitations it can do.

JG 52

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 02:06:03 PM »

Like I said your bias wont let you see the forest for the trees!

First check the Cd on the Mossie,then compare it to the 110,then calculate how much HP the 110 would need to match,say about 425 mph,I'm positive the mossie could go faster but 425 is a nice round number.

Once you've done that,find and engine in the Luft inventory that could produce the required HP.

There is no way the 110 can compete,not speed,ords or fighting ability.  In AH I used to fly the mossie a fair bit,several hundred hours,lately I've been fly German planes. I fly the 110C a fair amount,the 110C can turn with the mossie but the mossie can dictate the fight with superior speed and climb.

Oh and adding 103's would just overload an already overloaded airframe!  Also the Mossie can counter that with the 6 pounder,oh and it actually carried that gun unlike the 110 and the whatif 103's.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »
Here's the problem, with every war or battle comes Research and development (R&D) - it takes time to do this, especially when you have dozens of different things you are researching. If you look into the case of the Tiger tank, when the Germans invaded Russia they realized their tanks were heavily inferior to the Russian tanks, R&D shifted in tank research to designing something to combat this and it took almost a year for the tank to be researched and developed. Its possible the Me-110 could of been upgraded, but honestly if they shifted R&D into the Me-210 its most likely the 110 was already at its very limits of improvements.

**with apologies to the O/P**

That is a nasty can of worms you've opened.  For someone who supposedly as educated on the issue(s) as much as you say you are you would not have much such a statement.  While on paper the T34/1941 may have been superior to the Panzer IIIx and IVx in terms of armor protection and speed, there are a great many other factors involved.  With that in mind I will take the liberty of cautioning you on making such overly grandeur statements. ;)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.