Author Topic: The Wirble  (Read 9264 times)

Offline tuton25

• Nickel Member
Re: The Wirble
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2013, 04:06:09 PM »
Any hits to the top of the turret should disable it.....
><))))*> Da Fish is in Da Fight

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2013, 04:25:01 PM »
Any hits to the top of the turret should disable it.....

And they do ... with frequents complains about it on CH 200 :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2013, 04:42:09 PM »
I turreted one with a Storch. A Wirb isn't foolproof, merely proof against idiots.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2013, 04:50:03 PM »
It is ridiculously effective as an AA platform. And considering it's entire production run was about 3 1/2 units, the reasons for its inclusion are spurious at best. If it's going to be in the game then include the built in stoppage  I.E the mag change :old:

Vulching was out of control before the WW was brought in.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2013, 05:01:04 PM »
K/D of 1.48/1 is far from the best K/D ratio.

Tiger II's is 8.19/1.

Highest non-perk unit is the Fw190D-9 at 1.69/1.

This is ignoring gunners and ship gunners which don't work the same.

:banana:  :airplane:  :joystick:
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2013, 05:33:51 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:52:42 AM by Skuzzy »
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2013, 05:50:48 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:52:51 AM by Skuzzy »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2013, 05:55:24 PM »
This sounds like the audience wants Hitech to change something to give them some way to counter the current modeling of the Wirbel.

How would the Hs 129's armor hold up to the Wirbel getting close enough for it's Mk101 with AP rounds to kill the turret? I have a gunsight for the Ju87-G2 that allows me to hit the turret at about 1200 offline because I can see it on the runway. I've had success in the game at that range. But, it was only if the wirbel was in the open and I could see it on full zoom from farther out. Otherwise trying to line up a long range shot to then peel off got me killed by the wirbel. I find very few players want to work with you to distract a wirbel either for fear of getting towered or they don't like helping someone else get kills.

Another thought is for the Hs.404 being allowed to load an AP belt specifically to attack armor like the turret of the wirble and osti as used in North Africa. And for lighter vehicles like the M3\16, LVT\PT and SDKfz.

So, it was decided in June 1942 to develop a composite rigid projectile capable of defeating the armour of German tanks at all combat ranges and be designed to fire from standard service fighter equipment. The design consisted of a duralumin envelope with a tungsten carbide core weighting 57.5 grams, the total weight of the projectile was around 96 grams. Penetration and ballistic trials were carried out in January 1943 and these left the stability of the projectiles in doubt but penetration was very good. Several modifications were made to improve the stability of the rounds, in May 1943 a trial was carried out against a Panzer Mk IIIH with wooden mock-ups for crew, the results were impressive as the crew were shot to pieces but the poor accuracy of the shot was  still noticed.

http://www.wwiiequipment.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96:hispano-20mm-armour-piercing-ammunition&catid=44:gunsrockets&Itemid=60
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »
I can't imagine the Hs129 would handle it any better than the Il-2.  I suspect the Il-2 is actually the more durable of the two.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 06:28:25 PM »
I can't imagine the Hs129 would handle it any better than the Il-2.  I suspect the Il-2 is actually the more durable of the two.

Depending. I imagine that the Il -2 would be more likely to suffer catastrophic damage, but the 129 would be more susceptible to pilot kills.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2013, 06:46:14 PM »
What model 20mm cannon did it use and what was the mag capacity?

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2013, 06:53:11 PM »
Flak 38's. 20 +1 magazine per gun.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2013, 06:53:23 PM »
What model 20mm cannon did it use and what was the mag capacity?

2-cm Flakvierling 38
20 rounds
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ntrudr

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2013, 06:54:27 PM »
Ships guns have the best K/D in the game.  It seems you cannot be killed in one.  Yes wirbles should be perked.

Needs to be dropped to a 5 ENY and perked.....
I've heard it has the best KD of anything in the game (snailman help me out here) and is used very extensively....
A few more Flak platforms other than the Osti and M16 would round out the selection.....

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2013, 06:55:28 PM »
The HS-129 is pale in comparison of the IL-2. The Il-2 was entirely a tank with an aircraft engine, the HS-129 however did have 2300 lbs of armor around the cockpit, with two engines it could sustain some damage but consider it closer to an A20 then an IL-2.
HS-129 would lose its engines pretty easily, and it was not a very easy plane to fly - underpowered is the best reason for it. if a fighter shows up there is nothing it can do to survive.

I'm not sure a loaded 129 could fly on one engine if it got knocked out, however it did have 75mm of armor in the cockpit front, far better then an IL-2, however the IL-2 could soak damage where a HS-129 couldn't.

Basically opposite to what Tank-Ace says, I'd feel more comfortable not getting pilot wounds in an HS-129, but more likely to survive battle damage in an IL-2.
JG 52