Author Topic: How would you design a...  (Read 6253 times)

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
Re: How would you design a...
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 09:37:40 AM »
Fuel will quickly become very scarce. What good is extra hauling power and protection if you're forced to leave the vehicle half-way to your destination?

That all depends on where your destination is. I'm not going to be traveling 2000 miles cross-country so I can go live in the desert. I'd more than likely just head 400 miles out to the middle of nowhere and lay low. I'd probably only have to fuel up twice through the entire trip.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 11:25:07 AM »
   Depending on the nature of the Armageddon an electronic controlled vehicle can be disabled by an EMP burst. That is why the military chose the H1 hummer with a Diesel with the mechanical Diesel injection pump. No electronics needed to run the engine.

Or with a good Dirt Bike when the roads are clogged with broken down vehicles or obstacles.

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 11:31:23 AM »
Yeah, my zombie survival plan is to steal others' supplies.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 12:07:50 PM »
Yeah, my zombie survival plan is to steal others' supplies.

a friend of mine likes to stock pile ammo as he believes the apocalypse is near.  he always boasts that he will make a lot of money selling ammo.  I just casually mention to him that I would shoot him in the head then take his ammo for free,  based on his expression, he hadnt thought of that.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 12:12:33 PM »
I would look at the design from this stand point.

What can I destroy with large caliber rifle weapons and small home made explosives.

What are the weakest points with the overall design.

Tires. Motor. Vehicle skin. Fuel. Glass. The list goes on and on from here.....

Bio fuel or a propane redesign for the motor... And the older the better IMHO no electronics too worry about is better in the long run for simplicity of keeping it in working order.

Tires get the honeycomb tires which are not inflated... Have 4spares on the vehicle.

Motor needs at least 1inch thick steel plates surrounding the compartment.

Anything I can break with a hand tool needs to be removed and reinforced.....

I wouldn't even know where to start, this was me just posting a  :aok about this post because I like the redesign process but I can see where I would write a small book in this post lol.

Very cool post  :salute
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:15:25 PM by deadstikmac »

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 12:12:54 PM »
If it's the zombie apocalypse you generally don't need much armor. If it's some natural disaster you don't need much armor. A civil war is the only "Doomsday" scenario that would require a militarized vehicle of some sort, but even then America isn't going to turn into Afghanistan overnight.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 12:16:02 PM »
a friend of mine likes to stock pile ammo as he believes the apocalypse is near.  he always boasts that he will make a lot of money selling ammo.  I just casually mention to him that I would shoot him in the head then take his ammo for free,  based on his expression, he hadnt thought of that.

semp

I would give him my money. It's not like money's going to be worth anything more than toilet paper after the apocalypse... Toilet paper is probably going to be more valuable. This friend of yours clearly isn't too bright.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 12:16:46 PM »
If it's the zombie apocalypse you generally don't need much armor. If it's some natural disaster you don't need much armor. A civil war is the only "Doomsday" scenario that would require a militarized vehicle of some sort, but even then America isn't going to turn into Afghanistan overnight.

Doesn't the average American household have 2 weapons (guns) ?

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 12:19:14 PM »
What about it?

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 12:23:13 PM »
What about it?

In any sort of pandemonium I expect everyone too have a "I shoot first find out if your friendly later" mentality.

For zombies I just want a really big cow catcher!  :D

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 12:23:56 PM »
Doesn't the average American household have 2 weapons (guns) ?

the average american holds none in some places while in some others they could supply a guerrilla.  I know plenty of people who own no guns and have no intention of ever owning one.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 12:27:32 PM »
During the Bosnian civil war most people (myself included) could travel quite safely as long as they stayed clear of the front lines.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 12:34:34 PM »
Civil wars aren't everybody taking out their guns and shooting at the neighbors. There are factions, usually rebels vs. government, and a whole lot of civilians caught in the middle. Driving around in a militarized vehicle might get you killed simply for looking like a combatant.

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2013, 12:46:14 PM »
Look up what happened during hurricane Katrina. That is a good example of what will happen in large urban when you remove the sense of law and order. Military looking vehicle is going to get alot of attention from the people who want to steal your stuff. The winabago that looks like it was rejected by Gypsies not so much.
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 12:57:19 PM »
   Depending on the nature of the Armageddon an electronic controlled vehicle can be disabled by an EMP burst. That is why the military chose the H1 hummer with a Diesel with the mechanical Diesel injection pump. No electronics needed to run the engine.

Has it got a cranking handle?  :D
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234