Author Topic: How would you design a...  (Read 6230 times)

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
How would you design a...
« on: August 29, 2013, 03:05:01 PM »
...personal bug-out vehicle?  Watched an episode of "Doomsday Prepper" a while back, and one of the segments was on a guy who designed his dream "but-out" vehicle.  My 15 year-old son and I were sitting enjoying chips and salsa at Chili's last night and started talking about what a cool (if somewhat impractical) project it would be to do something like that.  Now, I'm no hardcore doomsday prepper :noid like on those shows, but I do love a good armageddon story, and if I was wealthy, I could totally see myself doing a project like this just for the heck of it.

So, how would I start? My first thought would be to buy an old armored car. I'd raise it up a few inches and make it a 4x4.  It would have an inverted-V plow on the front, for pushing debris and wrecked cars aside, and a winch.  Oh, and don't forget the run-flat tires.  I'd make it duel-fuel capable (gasoline and propane, I think), and it would include about a 100 watt solar array on the roof for keeping the over-sized battery pack charged.  The entire thing would need to be have an overpressure system, with filtered air intake, so it could traverse areas with environmental hazards in a buttoned-up configuration.  Metal shutters that could be attached to the outside of the windows would also be prudent, and a periscope with night-vision option for use when the shutters are down.  Inside would be several months worth of dehydrated food, water (with a water filtration system), weapons storage, a small galley, and room for six to sleep.  Just for good measure, I'd put a remotely operated gun turret on the roof, with dual Siaga-12's on it...for crowd control.

Sooooo, what did I miss?
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: How would you design a...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 03:20:27 PM »
don't forget to reinforce the bottom of that thing...use a composite armor system with layers of steel, kevlar and carbon fiber. it won't keep the thing upright but an ied will be less likely to kill everyone inside.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:19:31 PM »
I would think a diesel with the ability to run off of vegetable oil would be a better fuel setup..
- TWBYDHAS

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 04:36:13 PM »
maybe a funnel on the roof for catching rain water leading into the filtration and purification system
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 04:54:38 PM »
Richard Hammond tested this Marauder on Top Gear. It should fit the bill nicely including the IED protection. Search for the episode on youtube.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:35:33 PM »
 I'd include a small dual purpose bike that would be mounted to the truck.

Would be useful for scouting,hunting and backup or secondary transport.   Modified with a gun mount, a nice double barrel coach gun on the bars and a case to carry the hunting/snipe rifle.

:salute

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 07:18:15 PM »
In some parts of the world Doomsday came a long time ago. I'd look to the third world for inspiration on what works in a world that doesn't. Probably a Toyota pickup truck "technical" with a couple of MGs and some improvised armor, but not too much weight. Still needs to carry a whole lot of stuff for me/family to survive. Perhaps even a small trailer to carry more stuff.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 07:54:49 PM »
If you could find a medium sized 4x4 school bus, that would be perfect.

Other than that a 4x4 Class B truck and build a custom body. Big enough to haul plenty of people and gear and still able to use it as a shelter.

But if you want the real deal, you want the Landmaster from Damnation Alley.

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 08:47:23 PM »
In some parts of the world Doomsday came a long time ago. I'd look to the third world for inspiration on what works in a world that doesn't. Probably a Toyota pickup truck "technical" with a couple of MGs and some improvised armor, but not too much weight. Still needs to carry a whole lot of stuff for me/family to survive. Perhaps even a small trailer to carry more stuff.

(Image removed from quote.)

District 9 was a great movie, however i'd take some one of the bigger trucks.

Possibly this one.

Also, you could go and buy one of the trucks made at Oshkosh Truck Inc. - Preferably the MATV, paint it a straight black and mount a .50 cal on top and you're good to go. For about 20 miles.  :lol

I live about half a mile from the assembly plant in Oshkosh, so getting one for myself could be rather easy as my friend's dad works there. :devil

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 09:18:37 PM »
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 09:32:15 PM »
These bigger vehicles are going to consume a lot of fuel. Preferably I'd have something with a small turbo-diesel, or even better, a good old high-compression asthma-diesel.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 10:06:34 PM »

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 10:08:33 PM »
These bigger vehicles are going to consume a lot of fuel. Preferably I'd have something with a small turbo-diesel, or even better, a good old high-compression asthma-diesel.

True but along with that you get more hauling power and better protection. Its like trading an apple for an orange.

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 11:22:59 PM »
On further thought I would start with one of these. You can customize the back anyway you want. If the world goes down the crapper there will not be any parts or fuel anyway, but it might just get you out of harms way. But a RV would be way less conspicuous to those who might want your supplies ala walking dead.http://www.ebay.com/itm/M923-military-5-ton-cargo-truck-with-winch-and-troop-carrier-cover-no-reserve-/281155677512?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41762f2d48
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:26:15 PM by bigsky »
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 09:13:18 AM »
True but along with that you get more hauling power and better protection. Its like trading an apple for an orange.

Fuel will quickly become very scarce. What good is extra hauling power and protection if you're forced to leave the vehicle half-way to your destination?