Author Topic: How would you design a...  (Read 6250 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: How would you design a...
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 01:05:46 PM »
Fuel will quickly become very scarce. What good is extra hauling power and protection if you're forced to leave the vehicle half-way to your destination?

You fool! Haven't you watched Mad Max? Everyones going to speed in gas guzzling V8s, burning 10 gallons for every 5 gallons obtained by highway murder.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 01:35:27 PM »
Has it got a cranking handle?  :D

Electronics =/= electrics.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 01:36:21 PM »
You fool! Haven't you watched Mad Max? Everyones going to speed in gas guzzling V8s, burning 10 gallons for every 5 gallons obtained by highway murder.

:lol
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 01:39:05 PM »
Instead of a car everyone wants to have, better to have a car no one would want in a survival type situation: :rolleyes:

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 02:03:57 PM »
Honestly, a light aircraft with a door gunner would be invaluable. Nobody really has the wherewithal and equipment to bring down an aircraft, and its so useful. Something Storch-like would be ideal.

However fuel is the issue. Realistically, you're only going to be able to stockpile and keep secure enough fuel for a few months of operation. Large stockpiles are just too vulnerable to theft/explosives.

Thus my thinking; I'll just steal what I need.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 02:48:01 PM »
So often overlooked is the fact that most fuels have a limited shelf life; it's perishable. The cheap crap we put in our cars will turn into vaseline in a matter of weeks. After a few months all fuel stockpiles will be useless for anything other than making candles. Aviation fuel is more stable, but that too will perish eventually. Alcohol will be the best fuel in the long run I think.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 02:56:46 PM »
Bio-diesel. FTW
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:58:26 PM by rpm »
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 04:12:49 PM »
Our Jeeps should suffice.....

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2013, 11:26:24 PM »
Our Jeeps should suffice.....

(Image removed from quote.)
As a TJ owner I can say the vehicle is more than up to the task but you won't be able to pack much more than a box of Chiclets if (like me) you have a famy of four. And the fuel mileage ispoor at best, lift tires armor and recovery gear put me around 15 mpg when I ddon't go offroad.

Nice pic though, where is that? We don't have that kind of open space wheeling here, just tivht pinstripe trails. Natural bugout features though. For those that get into that thought process. I just like getting out where others can't\don't.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2013, 12:40:21 AM »
Lots of pictures of huge vehicles...  I think my first priority would be reliability and maintainability.  If the tire can't be changed by one person using hand-operated tools easily carried in the vehicle itself, then it's not a good choice for a personal survival vehicle IMHO.

I think I'd probably start along the lines of a heavy duty chebby Tahoe, upgraded suspension, 4wd, with whatever motor runs on the largest selection of fuels.  A flex fuel motor might be able to be run on a mix of gasoline and home-brewed alcohol, but post-apocalypse America might have a good supply of kerosene and diesel so it might be a good idea to have a diesel motor that could be swapped in.  So your survival vehicle would need a simple enough electrical system to allow a motor swap.  Better yet, gut the entire electrical system of the car and install dual hard-wired wiring harnesses to the motor so you completely eliminate all control modules and computers for the car.  Basically you take your SUV and gut it no different than you would a purpose-built race car, and re-do a very simple electrical system that can be repaired with wire and tape instead of expensive computer modules.

A basic utility truck chassis might be a great place to start.  Anything you can't fix yourself, and anything electrical that will disable the vehicle if it fails, needs to be removed and replaced with something simpler.  And you'll need a big bin full of any spare parts you can't make yourself, like fuel/oil/water pumps, injectors, spark plugs, etc.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2013, 12:44:26 AM »
Something to consider - if you expect it to run after an EMP, it better not have a single computer needed to run the motor and transmission.  Any decent sized EMP will pretty much melt anything with a coil in it, and burn out any electronics.  So you'll need to be able to repair/replace every electrical component from very basic parts.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2013, 01:56:33 AM »
Electronics =/= electrics.

Thanks for your input Mr Witless.  :rolleyes:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2013, 07:17:06 AM »
Maybe you could just sing your way outta trouble there, Rich :D

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2013, 09:32:23 AM »
Simple...........the toyota 4runner with diesel.

Depending on the year, you can probably find one that will still run after huge EMP but earlier is better in that case.

If you're really worried about EMP, you could get an earlier engine like the old mercedes 5 cylinder or nissan LD28 which requires no electronics but have to remember that EMP can take out even an alternator.

Maybe an international or rover with nissan LD28 conversion.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:38:15 AM by icepac »